Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have some issues #1

Default I have some issues #1

I sit and read these threads and cannot figure out what some of you guys have against SJax. Yes, he's streaky - most shooters are. Yes, sometimes his shot selection is questionable - but far less than Artests. This is going to be a huge trade for us. Jackson is a shooter, a scorer (that can score in many ways), plays pretty good defense and can rebound. One other thing is becoming apparent about him. He is the type of player that goes for the jugular. He is a killer type of player.

I think he is more of a team player than it sometimes appears. Right now, I think it is paramount in Rick's eyes that Jax continues to shoot. We will get to see more of a well-rounded game next year. I look forward to Stephen taking Reggie's position next year and being an extremely valuable part of this team for a long time.

Edit: I've also seen him make some great passes!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

Default Re: I have some issues #1

I agree I dont get the Jack hate. I think it was a very good trade for us. We needed a backup 2/3 who could start if needed a lot more than we needed Al.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i'm all about Jax.

If you don't like Jax you hate the pacers!!!!11111one

Artest and SJax have about the same career FG% and their last (more or less) complete year is about the same. The career 3P% is about the same, although SJax is about 2% better. He has (surprisingly) stepped it up this year from the 3 line.

SJax Career FG% .421 3P%.334
    This year FG% .397 3P%.352
    Artest Career FG% .418 3P%.316
    Last year FG% .421 3P% .310

By way of comparison, Reggie Miller:
    Career FG% .471 3P% .395
    This year FG% .445 3P% .322

Any way you slice it, our effeciency from the outside is going to go down.

I dont hate Jack, I actually love that he is on this team and belive that he is the guy that we bridge Ron and JO together, and get us to the championship with them 2. But I just hate some of the shots he takes, he can drive to the basket at will I dont get why he doesnt do it more. Like he stop and pops up a 3 for no reason when he can drive to the basket and get to the line. Thats it from me and the only problem I have with him.

sweabs

Looks like Al's knees have been creating problems again...sat out tonight's game.

We needed a shooting guard - we got one. He's just what the doctor ordered...and Al's knee-problems are a little concerning.

Jax has allways been a bad selector in shots and this goes way back to the spurs days and proberly got let lose in Atlanta...

I have no doubt it's he's worth every cent and every second bad shot because he fits in and his contract @ what 5-6 mill a year is very very affordable...

Rick will work with him and next year will be so differen't.. I Love the kid and don't mind it.. I've seen Artest take some **** as all hell shots and that was last year in the play offs and i'm sure we all can remember that

as far as poping 3's V's The driving issue... you have to mix it up to keep your defender honest and this season I'm not fusy

he's the no 1-2 and 3 option with Jermaine Out, Artest gone and Reg just chilling

teY dennaB toN

I was hesitant over the summer about the Jax deal but not anymore. We desperately needed his outside shooting last year against the Pistons . . . and we are going to need it when we meet them again (probably next year). Also, more importantly, his defense has been better than advertised, in my opinion.

The only gripe I have is that sometimes I wish he would be a little more aggressive with the ball, but it is only a minor gripe. Further, he is going to be much more effective when he goes back to the #3 or 4 option on the team, instead of #1 or 2.

Sports Logo

I doubt he will be the 4th option next year. With Reggie retiring he will be the third option.

I don't understand it either. I have absolutely no problem with him being here, and I think that he Ron and JO fit together quite well.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

_PD_

I'll respond after he has a bad night.

Quote Originally Posted by _PD_
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll respond after he has a bad night.
    Trust me - I can take his bad with the good.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

You know why his shot selection is bad sometimes. He can get a shot anytime he wants. I have yet to see the man guarding him - whoever it might be - stop him, or even cause him to pass the ball. He is extremely talented, and can get a decent shot anytime he wants. He is tall and very athletic and very unstoppable.

The only time he struggles is when he goes through a cold shooting spell or when he drives into two and three guys. One guy cannot stop him.

The ability to get a good shot anytime he wants is something very rare in the NBA. Of course that does not mean he'll make all those shots but defense does not bother him. Even Tayshaun Prince couldn't do much with him.

I'l thrilled he is a Pacer. He is very tough mentally and physically. He is good for team chemistry because of his extremely outgoing personality.

Yes, he let's his emotion get the best of him at times, but I've noticed he cools off quickly and never lets his emotions get the best of him. He is also a very supportive teammates.

I have no problem with Jax. He is exactly what out starting-lineup lacked last year, he is a near-perfect fit for this team. I can live with his streaky (which isn't such a bad thing) offense and sometimes poor shot selection considering his rebounding and defense. He defends the quicker players that Artest struggles with fairly well, and is a good rebounder for a SG.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

ReggieMiller8325

Jaxes last 3 games so far.

agaisnt the heat 28 points 9-28 from the field
    against the wiz 15 points 7-23 from field
    agaisnt the knicks 33 points 12-22 from the field

76 points
    averaging 25.3 last 3
    on 81 shot attempts
    thats a average 27 shots per game
    now that is preaty bad beacuse regg is capable of putting 50 points on 27 attempts sometimes.

this is his shooting last 3 games 28-81.

PacersFan

it's still hard to believe our starting lineup next year (of course, with them signing DD again) will be

PF Jermaine O'Neal
    SF Ron Artest
    PG Jamaal Tinsley
    SG Stephen Jackson
    C Dale Davis

and our main backups - Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson, and Jeff Foster and the rest of the bench mob

all i can say is, Wow..........

With marginally good health, I can see this team challenging the 72 games Chicago won....I see no weaknesses in the starting lineup, and those three off the bench really would be starting for at least half the teams in the NBA.

With the team looking for revenge, next year will be amazing.

ReggieMiller8325

Yeah I hope we win this year 2.

He never seems to get tired either.

I've said this before but his offensive game reminds me so much of Jalen Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    nevermind

Warning, warning - thread deterioration.

Mark and Slick commented at least twice during tonight's game about his toughness. Apparently they saw how swollen his ankle was at the hotel and were concerned about whether he'd play or not.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

I love having Jack in Indiana.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are a ton of positives about SJax. The addition of his defensive abilities in the backcourt will help make the Pacers one of the top two or three defensive teams in the league. And his confidence and willingness to step up and take the big shot, hit or miss, is an important trait that not many players have.

On the downside, SJax is a streaky shooter. And using the words "scorer" and "shooter" in more general terms, I believe he is a scorer, but is not necessarily what we could call a "shooter". He is capable of hitting 10 shots in a row; but he's also capable of missing the next 15.

The only thing that I would hope for would be more consistency in his shooting. But I do believe that the addition of Jermaine, Artest and Tinsley back into the lineup next season will divert some of the attention that Sjax gets from defenders, therefore will contribute to a better shooting percentage.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    Warning, warning - thread deterioration.
    I have some issues! How is Spike Lee going to get off scot-free after rushing the court after the game??? And then he physically came into contact with Reggie...that was uncalled for. The Knicks franchise needs to be held accountable.

For many reasons including those mentioned here, Steve is my favorite Pacer.

I also like the comparison to my former favorite Pacer, J. Rose.