Thread: Our Season Is Over In The 2nd Round

Mood

Default Our Season Is Over In The 2nd Round

Unless Ron Artest has something to say about it.

He is the only reason we can beat New Orleans, because he is the only guy who they can't stop and will always attack the basket. Not to mention his defense.

He and he alone is what will take us past New Orleans to the ECF if it's meant to be.

Only way.

Default Re: Our Season Is Over In The 2nd Round

I'm not sure if they could beat any opponent they meet in the second round, whether it's New Orleans or Milwaukee or anyone else. They're undergoing a collapse similar to last seasons, abiet on a smaller scale. They haven't beaten a +.500 team since the Lakers on the 2nd. Of course the Lakers were severely dilapitated. Before that, the last winning team they beat was Detroit, on January 20th. So it's been over a month since the Pacers have beaten a legitimately good team. And we all know how much they've struggled against the bottom-feeders in the past month, even before Artest went out. I think there's a psycological problem with this team. The only reason they'll probably get out of the first round this year is because they're almost assured the first seed and won't play a good team. Although I wouldn't be suprised if Cleveland could pull an upset.

IndyToad
    The right truck

Banned

Unless Ron Artest has something to say about it.

He is the only reason we can beat New Orleans, because he is the only guy who they can't stop and will always attack the basket. Not to mention his defense.

He and he alone is what will take us past New Orleans to the ECF if it's meant to be.

Only way.
    Disagree.

Artest would probably try to stop Mashburn. Mashburn stops himself because he jacks up so many difficult shots. He missed 19 shots tonight. This was a golden opportunity to beat NO because Mash missed so many and Baron didn't go off like he does sometimes.

The reason the P's lost tonight was because Miller and Harrington didn't show up. If they show up, we can beat NO, with or without Artest, although I admit that it will help to have Artest.

Tonight both teams attempted 23 free throws. N.0. attempted 79 field goals, Pacers attempted 78. The reason the Hornets won is simply because they made a higher percentage of shots.

Hicks when I first read the title of this thread I was all set to say you are crazy.

But I won't say that because the Pacers do need Artest to get out of the second round of the playoffs as would most teams need their second best player to make it to the conference finals.

If Kenyon Martin is injured they won't get out of the second round either.

I'm not sure if they could beat any opponent they meet in the second round, whether it's New Orleans or Milwaukee or anyone else. They're undergoing a collapse similar to last seasons, abiet on a smaller scale. They haven't beaten a +.500 team since the Lakers on the 2nd. Of course the Lakers were severely dilapitated. Before that, the last winning team they beat was Detroit, on January 20th. So it's been over a month since the Pacers have beaten a legitimately good team. And we all know how much they've struggled against the bottom-feeders in the past month, even before Artest went out. I think there's a psycological problem with this team. The only reason they'll probably get out of the first round this year is because they're almost assured the first seed and won't play a good team. Although I wouldn't be suprised if Cleveland could pull an upset.

IndyToad
    The right truck

Really a stupid an illogical post.

Your point about the pacers not beating an above .500 in over a month is interesting. So I decided to look at the schedule to see if that is possibly true. And you know what that is true, they have not beaten a team over .500 since the Lakers Feb 2nd. What you don't mention though is the pacers have only played two above .500 teams since then, the Hornets twice and they are only a few games over. In fact they have only played 9 games since the Lakers.

I'd really like to see Artest log some minutes at SG when he comes back. We're just not looking that great at the 2-guard.

At some point, we need to move past the "Reggie Era." Don't know when that will be.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd really like to see Artest log some minutes at SG when he comes back. We're just not looking that great at the 2-guard.

At some point, we need to move past the "Reggie Era." Don't know when that will be.
    What? Reggie has played really well since about Christmas. I think you are searching for a solution and for the life of me I don't know why you are suggesting Reggie was the problem tonight. he was not even close to being the problem tonight

At first I thought Hicks was serious... then I realize that it's just bait for writerman.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

What? Reggie has played really well since about Christmas. I think you are searching for a solution and for the life of me I don't know why you are suggesting Reggie was the problem tonight. he was not even close to being the problem tonight
    No idea... didn't watch the game.

I was actually thinking about progressing in the playoffs. One of our big problems last year was that everybody on the team kept waiting for "Playoff Reggie" to show up, but he never did. Yeah, he had two broken ankles and a sore hiip, but still. Our players and coach were sufficient to win that series, but everybody was waiting around for heroics.

Enjoy your time at PD!

They haven't beaten a +.500 team since the Lakers on the 2nd.
    Talk about twisting the facts; thats because they've only played one +.500 team since then. You can only play the games on the schedule, their 7-3 for the month and 3-1 since losing their 2nd best player to injury and 42-16 how is that a collapse?

Yes, you guys will need Artest to advance deep in the playoffs; its tough for any team to overcome injuries to key players in the playoffs.

Mood

IndyToad
    The right truck
    You know what. I'm just going to NOT rip your throat out over this post. It's not even worth it.

haha

thanks dipperdunk for calling out that spin... took a philly fan

Hornets are definately tough, but pacers lost because of poor outside shooting. And Rick's poor use of Jamaal Tinsley, who was on pace for a career night. That was the most disturbing part. why? I kept yelling at my screen "PUT JAMAAL IN!"

n

And Rick's poor use of Jamaal Tinsley, who was on pace for a career night. That was the most disturbing part. why? I kept yelling at my screen "PUT JAMAAL IN!"

Not sure I agree in fact I don't agree, but if I say anything negative about tinsley I'll get yelled at and I am not in the mood to get into it right now

Talk about twisting the facts; thats because they've only played one +.500 team since then. You can only play the games on the schedule, their 7-3 for the month and 3-1 since losing their 2nd best player to injury and 42-16 how is that a collapse?

Yes, you guys will need Artest to advance deep in the playoffs; its tough for any team to overcome injuries to key players in the playoffs.
    You coulda made the same arguement for the Chiefs this past season, and look what happened to them. Paper tigers. Beating .500 and worse teams isn't worth anything. I'm more worried about the way we've been playing recently. Got massacred by a New Orleans team that hasn't been playing very well at all. And not only once, twice. So it's no fluke. The most frustrating thing is these guys have shown they're capable. Up until mid-January we were playing great, but for some reason it's just not there anymore. *shrugs*

IndyToad
    One style or another

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our season is probably over in whatever round we have to rely on Pollard off the bench.

I know he wasn't the only miserably bad player we had tonight, but that was one horrible performance. Of course Foster was brutal and in foul trouble, so what can you do? When we play a big physical team like N.O., Detroit or Jersey and Foster gets in foul trouble we're probably going to lose > 75% of the time.

Is he on pace for a single season airball record? Is there such a stat? You'd think from such close range he could hit some part of the basket?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

You coulda made the same arguement for the Chiefs this past season, and look what happened to them. Paper tigers. Beating .500 and worse teams isn't worth anything. I'm more worried about the way we've been playing recently. Got massacred by a New Orleans team that hasn't been playing very well at all. And not only once, twice. So it's no fluke. The most frustrating thing is these guys have shown they're capable. Up until mid-January we were playing great, but for some reason it's just not there anymore. *shrugs*

IndyToad
    One style or another
    Ok, now you've crossed the line. I'll preface this by saying I'm an avid Chiefs fan, have been for about 12 years now. Sure, the Chiefs had an easy road to the playoffs. That's because they were a bad team the year before. See, that's how the NFL schedules the games. The worse your team was last year, the easier their schedule will be this year. It's not like the Chiefs refused to play the good teams. But to say that the Chiefs were just paper tigers is garbage. The difference in the game between the Chiefs and Colts was 1 punt. Had the Chiefs defense, which had been good at home all year up to that point, showed up at all, I'd probably be celebrating my first Super Bowl Championship as a Chiefs fan, or perhaps lamenting poor play against New England. And don't even get me started on this city celebrating Peyton Manning as the second coming of christ. He played 2 ****-poor defenses that didn't show up, although he did a fine job of exploiting gaps the size of the grand canyon. Then he ran up against a good defensive team in New England and got embarrassed. He's a very good quarterback. But he's not Joe Montana.

Back to the Pacers....

I'd say the team is going to have some growing pains w/o Artest in the lineup, and they probably won't get 60 wins this year. But they'll probably still finish 1st...maybe 2nd.

I don't want any part of N.O. in the playoffs. I don't want any part of N.Y. for that matter either.

Teams with big physical frontlines scare the living crap out of me.

Maybe it's just me, but has anybody else noticed lately that since the all-star game Jermaine O'Neal has changed his style of play again? He seems to be far more finese & rely's far more on jump shots than he was prior to the break.

Artest or no Artest would not have made a differance last night. We got killed because of inside play & rebounding. Ron, no matter how good he is, cannot stop inside play & defend the perimater.

Foster to me against the Hornets is just exposed. He get's into foul trouble because this is a team he can't just slip inside of. They are strong & push & pull & he resorts to fouls.

Croshere & Pollard are more effective, IMO, & they aren't that effective.

I am not panicking by any sense. But I just say that come playoff time, if things get down to hand to hand combat (which it will) I just would prefer to not have to face these type of teams.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What Peck said. 100%

I am now reminded why I was so frustrated at the trade deadline
    Yeah, I've been having fun with the Bender thing, and I truelly believe that he will be a great one. But can he do it in time for the PO's??? I wanted a true C (Dampier) and still feel it was a mistake not to get it done. As stated earlier, Ron will help, but they will still pull back and dare Jermaine and the rest of the P's to do anything from out. They have us figured out and they have the size to enforce it. It was a mistake to think that first loss was an abberation...a potentially fatal mistake.
    Now I will be criticized for being all over the place with my suggestions but I've said it before...we should be getting Primoz some minutes...we're going to need him to be effective.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

haha

thanks dipperdunk for calling out that spin... took a philly fan

Hornets are definately tough, but pacers lost because of poor outside shooting. And Rick's poor use of Jamaal Tinsley, who was on pace for a career night. That was the most disturbing part. why? I kept yelling at my screen "PUT JAMAAL IN!"
    Yes, Jamaal was shooting great, got free, hustled (steals) and was pulled at the regular time, while you are struggling.
    We were up 15 - 11 when he was first pulled only to land in a hole we never could climb out again.
    Same goes for JB, he starting getting inside and in the swing of things after being in for about 6 minutes and got pulled again, rotate time!

Rotations set in stone are NOT a good idea (tm) if the flow is "with" a player, leave him running, cooling down hardly ever done anything good for a player in a "zone". Tins was in a zone last night, see his statline.

JB did great, but Al had to come back in, for what only the coach knows, but it was not to turn the game around.

I believe for a large part that losing the game the way we did btw was not only the fault on the players or some for not showing intensity, but at least as largely contributed to the coach for not coming up with a better answer against the defenses thrown at us.
    By all logic if JO is double teamed and from that 2x 3x teaming can still dish out some assists then I fail to see why the one or two overlooked shooters like Tins and JB who were scoring, are not more exploited.

<edit> JB was not particularly hot on shooting but he was the only one going to the line because of his drives where he went 4 - 4.
    Jones and Tins were the only one with above .500 shooting.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I've said this before (I think on this board). You guys are a better team than NO but you don't match up well with them - and the playoffs are all about matchups. If Artest was 100% I think I'd still pick you in a 7-game series but it'd be tough.

Cleveland's the other team that would scare me. They may very well be the 8th seed and they are just so friggin' athletic - they could go out in 4 or they could steal an early game, get their confidence going and turn into a very scary team - Lebron's unstoppable (except by himself) and Ilgauskas is still a force inside.

I don't think the Knicks will give you any trouble - not now (we would've with KVH & Doleac).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Regarding Bender, Carlisle is obviously controlling his minutes. Gradually raising them. He went over the 20 minutes played for the first time last night.

I agree we don't matchup well with the Hornets. Plus, the Hornets are a veteran team.

Any series with them will be tough to win. Much can happen between now and the playoffs injury wise, and, all things being equal, I know the Pacers will shorten their rotation during the playoffs and play a more grind it out style of basketball.

I don't really know what to think as far as the Pacers matching up with the Hornets. I do know the Pacers need Artest, he is the only one who can guard mash, and he has to be in Mash's shorts for every minute Mash is on the floor, Mash is a rhythm shooter and you can't give him any space.

The Hornets are incredibly inconsistant and that is a problem in the playoffs.

No doubt the Hornets have two things that give the Pacers problems a dynamic point guard and a big front power forward and center.

All I know is the Hornets will not get to the eastern conference finals, they just won't, I have seen that team play some horrible disgusting basketball this season and they will revert to some bad habbits at the worst time. You'll see,

Off the subject a bit, but last night's game really exposed our weakness at center (again)... Foster gets in foul trouble and suddenly we're forced to rely on Pollard for major minutes, even though he totally sucked last night.

I'd like to see Brezec getting a few minutes here and there at this point in the season, not because I think he's a great player, but at least he's another big body we can throw inside when we need to. And he's our only 5 with any kind of outside shot (or inside shot for that matter)... defense is questionable but he's a big...

Pollard might help us in a few playoff games but IMO he won't do so consistently. We need to not be FORCED to play him in case Foster gets in foul trouble/hurt. And to have Primoz as a third option in the playoffs, he has to get at least a few games' work in before then.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I'd like to see Brezec getting a few minutes here and there at this point in the season, not because I think he's a great player, but at least he's another big body we can throw inside when we need to. And he's our only 5 with any kind of outside shot (or inside shot for that matter)... defense is questionable but he's a big...
    I see a lot of clamoring for Primoz to make a grand entrance...I agree that he needs some min, but I don't think he will be any shape to contribute anything in the play-offs. I know that he looked pretty solid in the pre-season, but even in the garbage min. where he got some time....he just looked lost to me. I know Pollard has hands of stone, but he does know where to be, and know "how" to do his job. Primoz doesn't know how... from what I have seen!

Heck, give the kid some mins. I want to be wrong on this!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I see a lot of clamoring for Primoz to make a grand entrance...I agree that he needs some min, but I don't think he will be any shape to contribute anything in the play-offs. I know that he looked pretty solid in the pre-season, but even in the garbage min. where he got some time....he just looked lost to me. I know Pollard has hands of stone, but he does know where to be, and know "how" to do his job. Primoz doesn't know how... from what I have seen!

Heck, give the kid some mins. I want to be wrong on this!

Well, unfortunately its probably too late for him this season, but my thoughts on that topic are well documented in a couple other places around here...

What I wanted to comment on was your very last sentence... Its especially difficult for post players to make any positive impression in garbage time, which is basically all Primoz has gotten during the regular season. The pace is too fast and usually sloppy, there's usually no interior passing (heck, there's usually *no passing*), and sometimes the lineups are screwy (like a frontcourt of Primoz, Pollard and Croshere together - yikes!)

Anyway, I think the positive impression I got of Primoz when he played regular/ rotation minutes in the preseason is more useful than the garbage time impression we've gotten since. I still have hope for him.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you