Thread: MJ's 1st comeback

Default MJ's 1st comeback

I was wondering if someone who attended that game would mind sharing what they remember of it. Three things in particular:

1. What was the crowd/arena like? (Playoff atmosphere vs. just another game)

2. What was the actual game like? (I didn't get to see it)

3. Who was the victor?

BTW, I'm pretty sure Jordan came back in a game at Indiana (but not 100%) If not, please ignore/delete this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: MJ's 1st comeback

No you're right. His first game back was at MSA and tickets in the nosebleeds were scalping for hundreds of dollars. I didn't attend, but the Pacers won.

Pacers won, 103-96, overtime.
    March 19, 1995
    Jordan 7-28 from field, 19 points, 43 minutes played

"As you can see, my shot is a little off," said Jordan.
    After the game Jordan blasted some of the young players in the NBA for their arrogant and crude behavior.

I was there, it was a crazy atmosphere. Didn't Reggie injure his leg late in the game.

I was gonna ask about Reggie's performance. I forgot to include that the first time.

_PD_

I was there. It was a Sunday afternoon game. My favorite memory is Jordan going 7 for 28. And EXCUUUUUUUUSSSE ME , he only had a minor off shooting night. Everybody remembers him as this great go-to guy who could perform miracles, but the fact is, he didn't shoot much better than iverson. Probably some stat weenie could pull it up.

I think everyone was very excited to see him play, and yeah I guess he was a little rusty. I don't remember about Reggie's game, everything was overshadowed by the "great one". I suspect Reggie held his own, he certainly shot better than 25%. I don't recall any obnoxious bulls fans there. They're sort of like pisstons fans now, except that they didn't have a clue why they were bulls fans, they just were. These people are not fans of anyone now, except maybe the lakers.

I sat in the second row above the rail. My wife and I went in separate cars. If I had known how much tix were going for, she would have sat next to a scalpee. Of course I would never have heard the end of that one, so it's just as well.

woman without a team

Back in the day I worked with a woman whose husband worked for the Pacers. In exchange for working race day for her she said I could have her husband's tickets to an upcoming game. I let Kegboy choose which game. The only games I remember we had to choose from were the Knicks and the Bulls. Kegboy chose the Knicks. Of course at the time we didn't know the Bulls game would be MJ's first game back. Personally I was completely happy with going to the Knicks game (although Kegboy embarrassed the crap out of me). I asked my friend what she and her husband would have done if we'd picked the Bulls game. I think she said they still would have let us have them.

I watched the Bulls game at home. All I remember (Kegboy probably remembers better than I do) was Reggie and MJ colliding. The national TV announcers were freaking out, worried that MJ was hurt. The didn't seem to care that Reggie could barely walk. Kegboy was so mad I thought he'd have a seizure. (That's probably an exaduration, but it makes the story better.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would reccommend trying to get Reggie's book of the 1994-1995 season for this reason alone.

Reggie gives an extremely detailed account of MJ's comeback, and how they collided.

Reggie ended up missing a game or 2 because of that.

t-Bone

I have it on tape. The most noticable thing was everyone was in their seats 30 minutes before tipoff. Reggie completely outplayed MJ. , and yeah mj was a bit rusty. Good game.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jordan shot well until his first retirement, but then his numbers in terms of shooting percentage went downward, but for his career Jordan is a good shooter.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller