Thread: So about this "referee protest"

Default So about this "referee protest"

Is anybody else having a hard time believing this?

You don't realize how pampered the NBA refs are until something like this happens.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: So about this "referee protest"

Two points I want to make.

How can the league suspend for three games only one of the officials from the Denver v Lakers game. Either you suspend all three or none.

Hoepefully this will end the conspiracy theories. You know the ones that suggests the League and the officials are working togther to help certain teams. The league the refs have been increasingly at odds over the years

I dunno UB, to me this shows that the conspiracy theory is alive and well. To me it says that these guys have never been held accountable for their actions, and that now that the league was forced to take action, they're showing their asses over it.

How is this different than Allen Iverson being "out of control" when he skips a practice or yells at his coach? It's all just a juvenile form of protest from a child who has no understanding of limits or restraint.

I dunno UB, to me this shows that the conspiracy theory is alive and well. To me it says that these guys have never been held accountable for their actions, and that now that the league was forced to take action, they're showing their asses over it.

How is this different than Allen Iverson being "out of control" when he skips a practice or yells at his coach? It's all just a juvenile form of protest from a child who has no understanding of limits or restraint.
    Refs are fined all the time in fact they are fined more often each and every season and refs are suspended quite often too, what mae this different is the league announced it.

NBA refs get enough abuse from the fans. Now the office is basicly saying "Yeah, they suck and this ref did such a horrible job on one call we are suspending him for three games."

An employer can punish me or be disappointed in me but I would be furious if they did not back me or believe in me in public especially in a job where I have to have authority to do it well. The refs have a legit reason to be mad.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Three guys made the stupid inadvertant whistle call which affected the game, not the shot clock call. They should have given the ball to the Nuggets out of bounds since they got the rebound and possesion was not changed. If they had to jump it up because of a league rule, then the rule makers are to blame too.

My biggest complaint is that they blow too many easy calls, not the ones that are bang-bang. The Duncan "foul" on Sprewell at the end of their game the other night is a prime example. Spree obviously leans in and forces all of the contact and gets 3 free throws. As bad as the call in the Denver game, only it doesn't change the outcome.

NBA refs get enough abuse from the fans. Now the office is basicly saying "Yeah, they suck and this ref did such a horrible job on one call we are suspending him for three games."

An employer can punish me or be disappointed in me but I would be furious if they did not back me or believe in me in public especially in a job where I have to have authority to do it well. The refs have a legit reason to be mad.
    This league has gone too many season backing up their refs and letting big errors go quietly away. The NFL admits mistakes when they happen. The NBA should do the same. It doesn't change anything, but it does show the fans and players that action is taken. These guys need to stop crying and do their jobs a little better.

The refs weren't protesting the league saying there was a mistake. They were upset about the treatment of the ref who got suspended.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Well, that's life. The league needed a scape goat ot show how they are tough on refs as well as players and this guys ticket came up. They should be happy all 3 guys weren't getting paid to stay home. If they league wasn't short handed ref wise they may have been.

If it's a paid suspension, that makes it even worse. "Hey Eindar, you screwed up some of your paperwork yesterday, so the pilots passed out and the plane crashed. Go ahead and take 3 days off with pay."