Thread: Brawl News: Chair Thrower Pleads "No Contest"

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Brawl News: Chair Thrower Pleads "No Contest"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../bkn_nba_brawl

Man Pleads No Contest in Pacers Brawl

16 minutes ago

By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer

PONTIAC, Mich. - A fan charged with throwing a chair during one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history pleaded no contest Tuesday to a felony assault count.

Bryant Jackson was the only one of the 13 players and fans charged with a felony for their alleged role in the Nov. 19 melee during an Indiana Pacers-Detroit Pistons game at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Rae Lee Chabot indicated she would sentence Jackson to up to three months in jail, but he could get probation if he expresses remorse at the sentencing hearing May 3.

Events at the Palace were triggered by a "mob mentality," the judge said.

Assistant county prosecutor Paul Walton, however, said his office would request a sentence of one year in jail.

"These are adults," he said. "They should be able to control themselves. If they can't, they should be in jail."

Jackson and his attorney, Christopher McGrath, declined to comment after the hearing.

Jackson, 37, is accused of dislodging a chair and heaving it over his head, hitting several people. He also is accused of throwing a drink at the Pacers as they left the court area.

He pleaded no contest to one count of felony assault and one count of misdemeanor assault and battery. A no-contest plea is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing purposes.

Three other fans were sentenced to probation earlier this month.

A motion hearing is scheduled for April 8 in the cases of the five Pacers charged in the brawl Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson, Anthony Johnson and David Harrison and the other four fans.

The brawl was sparked when a Detroit player shoved Artest after a hard foul. The two were separated, and Artest cooled off before being doused by a cup of beer thrown from the crowd. Artest rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown the beer.

As a result of the brawl, Artest was suspended for the rest of the season, Jackson received 30 games and O'Neal 25. O'Neal's suspension was later reduced to 15 games by an arbitrator and upheld in federal court. The NBA also announced new security rules.

PacerNation

Default Re: Brawl News: Chair Thrower Pleads "No Contest"

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man Pleads No Contest in Pacers Brawl

16 minutes ago

By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer

PONTIAC, Mich. - A fan charged with throwing a chair during one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history pleaded no contest Tuesday to a felony assault count...

...A motion hearing is scheduled for April 8 in the cases of the five Pacers charged in the brawl Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson, Anthony Johnson and David Harrison and the other four fans.

The brawl was sparked when a Detroit player shoved Artest after a hard foul. The two were separated, and Artest cooled off before being doused by a cup of beer thrown from the crowd. Artest rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown the beer...

Given that the court preceedings are still underway (or just beginning) I'm pretty sure Ron allegedly beat the man he thought had thrown the beer. A/P writers: Crank out these articles without thinking twice. Gees.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So if he get's the 3 months he will do 45 days and if he get's the year he does 6 months , I thought this guy had a few priors for assault or something. Maybe it's just me but that seems kinda light on a sentence.

PacerNation

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    So if he get's the 3 months he will do 45 days and if he get's the year he does 6 months , I thought this guy had a few priors for assault or something. Maybe it's just me but that seems kinda light on a sentence.

I agree. Priors (felony assuaults I think), and then this, I think would translate into something more severe. Heaving a chair like that could be construed as assault with a deadly weapon. Sure, a chair isn't a deadly weapon, but when you throw a folded metal chair at someone's head from 10 feet away I don't know what else you're going for. The guy obviously has some issues.

Sports Logo

The real problem with that story is that the kid he charged and threw to the ground said that Ron DID NOT HIT HIM. Ron did not start beating on the kid he thought threw it. He grabbed him and asked him if he did it HE DID NOT HIT HIM. Again this is not me speaking that is what the kid said!!!!!!!

The first person he hit WAS THE ACTUALL CUP THROWER but not untill after that as*hole hit Ron from behind.

PacerNation

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    The real problem with that story is that the kid he charged and threw to the ground said that Ron DID NOT HIT HIM. Ron did not start beating on the kid he thought threw it. He grabbed him and asked him if he did it HE DID NOT HIT HIM. Again this is not me speaking that is what the kid said!!!!!!!

The first person he hit WAS THE ACTUALL CUP THROWER but not untill after that as*hole hit Ron from behind.

Yeah, it's pretty clear in all the video footage that's what happened, but everyone loves to tell the story the other way. I hate to spark this kind of debate again, but if you watch the video, you'll notice that the actual cup thrower hits Ron in the head a couple times. Not while Ron is engaged, but while Ron is being held by a couple people and is in the process of walking away.

Just to cover my tracks with any Detroit fans who like to play devil's advocate: I do agree he should not have gone into the stands; that was the greatest error of all.

I'm sure we remember all of our parents telling us as kids though (during our sibbling squabbles): "It takes two to tango"

Take that as you will.

You lawyer types will have to fill me in because maybe I have this wrong.

I thought pleading no contest meant you did something you didn't know was illegal when you did it, but now understand was against the law.

How can anyone not think that throwing a chair into a crowd was illegal?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

PacerNation

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    You lawyer types will have to fill me in because maybe I have this wrong.

I thought pleading no contest meant you did something you didn't know was illegal when you did it, but now understand was against the law.

How can anyone not think that throwing a chair into a crowd was illegal?

Not a lawyer, but don't need to be with the internet:

nolo contendere

In law, a plea of "nolo contendere" means that the defendant does not admit the charge, but does not dispute it either. This is also called a plea of no contest or, more informally, a "nolo" plea. "Nolo contendere" is Latin and literally means "I do not wish to argue." In putting in such a plea, defendants agree that the court may find them guilty criminally without ever admitting to the act(s) they are charged with.

Defendants could do this for a variety of reasons:

* The issue may, for example, be a complex criminal one and defendants may thus not be certain whether in doing what they did, they have in fact committed the crime they are charged with. The defendants thus fully leaves it for the court to determine whether they have committed the crime in question and signals that they may accept the decision of the court for themselves. (This of course requires the defendants to have and maintain full faith in the court.)
    * A no contest plea can be entered by criminal defendants facing a realistic prospect of conviction, who do not wish to undergo a trial, and yet are not willing to admit to the offense charged. However, in the United States, the Alford plea is an alternative plea that can be made in this situation.
    * Specifically, defendants may wish to avoid admitting to a tort or any other type of wrongdoing alleged in the indictment or information against them with a view to possible later civil action.
    * Another advantage can be in saving on legal costs. This typically is a consideration when those costs exceed any possible penalties that may be levied on a guilty party.

Recently a nolo plea seems to have moved increasingly into the direction of a guilty plea, almost barring its use for the first reason given above: Both in court room practice and especially in terms of outside media coverage, the possibility of pleading no contest for such (quite upstanding) reasons apparently is rarely ever considered in most places and cases.

Generally, defendants pleading nolo contendere, will be found guilty of the offense by the court, as there rarely is (or can be, even) an effective defense without contesting the charge at hand. Furthermore, a nolo plea generally has the same effect as a plea or verdict of guilty for purposes of sentencing, and, depending upon the jurisdiction, may have the same effect as a conviction for the purposes of civil disabilities (such as loss of a driver's license or the right to own a firearm) or use as an aggravating factor if the defendants are later convicted of another offense.

Defendants will not, however, be made to allocute to the charges. Also, this plea (unlike a guilty plea) may not be used against them to establish negligence per se, malice, or even that they actually did the acts which resulted in the conviction, in later civil proceedings related to the same set of facts as the criminal prosecution. It is not an admission of guilt, and provides one major advantage to defendants: It may not be used later as the basis for civil proceedings seeking monetary or other damages against defendants, as can a guilty plea.

In some jurisdictions, such as the U.S. state of Texas, the right to appeal the results of a plea bargain taken from a plea of nolo contendere is highly restricted. In Texas, defendants who have entered a plea of nolo contendere may only appeal the judgment of the court if the appeal is based on written pretrial motions ruled upon by the court or with the trial judge's permission.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=Los Angeles]

Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Rae Lee Chabot indicated she would sentence Jackson to up to three months in jail, but he could get probation if he expresses remorse at the sentencing hearing May 3. [QUOTE]

Why not tell him how to get out of probation as well?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.