Thread: Lakers becoming completely dysfunctional- C Atkins rips on Kobe!

Default Lakers becoming completely dysfunctional- C Atkins rips on Kobe!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...rts-nba-lakers

Life ain't so bad-- Lakers suck, Knicks suck, now if only Detroit would fall apart!

---------------
    Atkins Takes His Shot

He derogatorily refers to Bryant as 'GM' before Lakers' eighth straight loss, 96-89 to 76ers.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

The fissures in the Laker locker room continue to deepen amid an increase in irritated voices, the latest belonging to point guard Chucky Atkins.

Hours before Staples Center was dominated by boos in the final seconds of the Lakers' eighth consecutive loss, 96-89 to the Philadelphia 76ers before 18,347 Sunday, Atkins critically referred to Bryant as the team's general manager.

Two days after Coach Frank Hamblen said the Lakers quit in the second half of a loss to the Denver Nuggets, it was Atkins' turn to grouse.

Atkins, sitting in front of his locker that used to belong to Shaquille O'Neal, was asked by a reporter before the game what moves he would make during the off-season to improve the Lakers.

"I ain't the GM of this team," he said. "Kobe's the GM of this team. Ask Kobe. You've been watching this [stuff] all year. You've been watching it and I've been playing in it."

Pressed further, Atkins said, "I don't want to answer these questions. It's Easter."

Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak, in Indiana to scout a high school all-star game, declined to comment.

Atkins has been bothered by the number of shots Bryant takes and gets irritated when Bryant criticizes him in private for faulty defense, team sources said.

Bryant did not sense a permanent rift with Atkins.

"He'll just work through it," he said. "He'll be fine. That's my boy, so I'll look out for him, make sure he stays confident, make sure he stays aggressive."

Atkins, who has a year left on his contract after this season, said it was "hard to play with anybody that's a star" when asked if it was difficult to play with Bryant.

And to think that 20 minutes earlier, Hamblen had offered partly positive words on team morale, saying "they seem to get along with one another."

Atkins, with his fourth team in six seasons, said he hoped to return to the Lakers next season instead of being traded during the off-season, mindful of a summer that could lead to roster changes.

"I would love to come back," he said. "We're struggling, but it ain't going to be like this forever."

Neither Bryant nor Atkins could stop the Lakers from extending the second-longest losing streak in franchise history. The Lakers, who have 13 games left, are 10th in the Western Conference, 6 1/2 games behind the Denver Nuggets for the eighth playoff spot.

Bryant scored 34 points on 10-for-22 shooting, although he made only four of 11 shots in the fourth quarter. Atkins, scoreless until hitting a three-pointer with 7:17 left in the third quarter, had 10 points on four-for-14 shooting.

The Lakers committed a season-high 27 turnovers, an eyesore that could not be blamed on a team still adjusting to the reintroduction of the triangle offense, Hamblen said.

"Sloppy play, poor decisions, poor passes — don't pass to the guy's ankles," said Hamblen, who targeted two reasons for the turnovers. "Concentration and [guys being] mentally down about our situation, losing all these games in a row."

Allen Iverson, who came into the game averaging 30.5 points, 2.5 more than Bryant for the league lead, had a forgettable night, making five of 28 shots and scoring 20 points. Philadelphia forward Chris Webber, who appeared to break through a month-long funk with a 32-point effort Friday against the Toronto Raptors, also had a poor shooting night, making seven of 20 and scoring 14 points.

The unlikely duo of Andre Iguodala (18 points) and Marc Jackson (14) helped carry the 76er offense.

The end all but arrived after Iverson pushed the ball upcourt and flung an alley-oop pass to Iguodala from well above the three-point line. Iguodala's dunk gave the Sixers a 94-87 lead with 1:33 left to play.

Iverson later added a final touch, setting the ball on the floor and walking away from it with about three seconds left.

Afterward, Iverson said he wasn't surprised by the Lakers' struggles.

"There ain't no No. 34 around here no more," he said, referring to O'Neal. "There's no surprise."

Default Re: Lakers becoming completely dysfunctional- C Atkins rips on Kobe!

I really thought that Kobe would figure it out by January - that ball-hog Kobe and the Lakers winning didn't go together, that Lamar Odom needed to be a featured player for them and that he'd cut down to 12-18 shot attempts per game, score in the 23-26 ppg range and the Lakers would be dangerous by playoff time.

Nah - that would conflict with Kobe the Megalomaniac.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Actually, any time I've watched the Lakers on LP this year, it seems Kobe's passing a lot, just to the wrong people. He's hitting Chucky and Chris Mihm a lot. They miss a lot. And he still averages 7 assists. But for some reason that whole team seems to pretend Lamar Odom is an average NBA player. He and Kobe should be a tandem, but they're not. I'm not sure if Kobe can be blamed or not, but I see him trying to pass.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since LA is treating Odom as an average NBA player, then maybe the Pacers should trade for him. We could offer, say, two average NBA players for him.

Well, it was worth a try. Huh?

Indiana HS All Star game? Hmmmm Did they mean the championships?

Anyway, so the Lakers crumble. Is there a problem with that?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

LAPacer

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, any time I've watched the Lakers on LP this year, it seems Kobe's passing a lot, ...

Kobe is not passing alot, he is getting stuck alot. He is getting hit with double and triple teams and then passing after he knows he can't force a shot. Thats why he has so many turnovers per game.

Kobe got what he wished for... To be the leader and the main show of the team. He lead them nowhere. He has always been the most overrated guy in my book. He always said he was holding his game back. Now that he got a chance to show his complete game, he got:

one of his lowest FG% of his career
    a Lottery bound team
    his record 8-game losing streak
    career high Turnovers
    rid of of Phil, Malone, Shaq
    pissed of others (Lamar, Chucky, Wade, etc)
    booed frequently

I was so sick of him being the poster child of perfection for the NBA. It was so forced. You know whats sad about Chucky tho? On another message forum Lakersground.net, some people are claiming they know his address and want to kill him and e-mail him.... Too many people here in LA still drink the Kobe Kool-Aid.. I don't get it

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Indiana HS All Star game? Hmmmm Did they mean the championships?

Anyway, so the Lakers crumble. Is there a problem with that?

-Bball
    Wonder if they're looking at Oden. They must be expecting to be in the running for the lottery pick next year.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Dare I suggest a Ron for Odom swap?

LAPacer

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Dare I suggest a Ron for Odom swap?
    Sign me up for that. We get less talent, but less worry as well. Odom likes being SF too.

Yeah, the Lakers are very bad right now.

Paris Hilton could start for the Lakers and allow less penetration than this current team could.

That's how bad they are.

Quote Originally Posted by LAPacer
    Sign me up for that. We get less talent, but less worry as well. Odom likes being SF too.
    Less worry than Ron?

How many drug rehab programs has Lamar Odom been through?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable

Paris Hilton could start for the Lakers and allow less penetration than this current team could.

That's how bad they are.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Huxtable, that is absolutely genious. I'm putting that in my signature.

Oh my . . . so they are both sluts!?!?!?!?!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    I went on record as saying if Shaq ever left the Lakers Kobe would be just another T-Mac or AI. A great player, but he wouldnt be able to carry a team by himself.

I know its only one season, but I hate being right......................................

You and nearly half of the NBA watching public.

Banned

That's how bad they are.
    No, I think PH would allow quite a lot of penetration.

I've heard that line before, with regard to Pamela Anderson.

Sports guy, maybe?

Something like:
    "I haven't seen anyone allow that much penetration since Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee were still a couple"

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    Less worry than Ron?

How many drug rehab programs has Lamar Odom been through?
    None since he got out of LA the first time.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Yeah, Kobe does pass, its just most of his teammates suck minus Odom and Atkins. Kobe is not a very selfsih player, some might argue he is because he basically ran Shaq out of town.

But, he does pass a lot. Its just the Lakers aren't good anymore, and they have less role players.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

LAPacer

Lamar has straightened himself up. I liked the way he played in the Olympics, even though they got a bronze only. Ron might wise up (like Kenyon) and control his emotions better, but that guy is going to be a target of refs, fans, or anyone wanting to beat the Pacers until he is no longer a Pacer.

If I knew for sure that Ron would straighten up, a deal for Odom isn't enough for Ronnie. But I think I'd rather not take that chance at this stage.

Could you imagine our line-up.. Pretty funny
    6'3" Tins
    6'11" Bender
    6'11" Odom
    6'11" Oneal
    6'11" Davis/Foster

LAPacer

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    Yeah, Kobe does pass, its just most of his teammates suck minus Odom and Atkins. Kobe is not a very selfsih player, some might argue he is because he basically ran Shaq out of town.

But, he does pass a lot. Its just the Lakers aren't good anymore, and they have less role players.
    His passing skills suck. Most of his passes are afterthoughts... when he has dribbled himself into a hole.

"Not very selfish".... you have to be kiddding. Every coach that has been through LA (Harris, Jackson, Tomjonavich, Hamlen) doesn't wanna coach that selfish prick. His main offensive weapon is dribbling the ball for 15 secs, stopping in the middle near the free throw, then pump faking 2-3times, then force a shot. His game is all about one-on-one and passing only when stuck. Why would all his teammates complain about his selfishness if there wasn't something there.

Kobe has the same talent Miami had last year and Wade took that team to beat the Pacers twice and almost 3 times if Eddie Jones doesn't miss a gimmie 7 ft jumper in the lane. I hate hearing excuses for Kobe. He got what he wanted. His own team. He lead them nowhere. Overrated. Booooo.

Could you imagine our line-up.. Pretty funny
    6'3" Tins
    6'11" Bender
    6'11" Odom
    6'11" Oneal
    6'11" Davis/Foster
    Bender play SG? Let alone just PLAY.

Throw Sjax in there instead of Bender, and maybe it becomes a possible lineup. But I highly doubt they trade, let alone straight up.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

His passing skills suck. Most of his passes are afterthoughts... when he has dribbled himself into a hole.

"Not very selfish".... you have to be kiddding. Every coach that has been through LA (Harris, Jackson, Tomjonavich, Hamlen) doesn't wanna coach that selfish prick. His main offensive weapon is dribbling the ball for 15 secs, stopping in the middle near the free throw, then pump faking 2-3times, then force a shot. His game is all about one-on-one and passing only when stuck. Why would all his teammates complain about his selfishness if there wasn't something there.

Kobe has the same talent Miami had last year and Wade took that team to beat the Pacers twice and almost 3 times if Eddie Jones doesn't miss a gimmie 7 ft jumper in the lane. I hate hearing excuses for Kobe. He got what he wanted. His own team. He lead them nowhere. Overrated. Booooo.
    Eh, you got a point. I guess I didn't factor all of that in.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions