Thread: Dream of might have been

Old as Dirt

Angry Dream of might have been

Just sitting here thinking, What if the ABA had been able to get the TV contract like the NBA. Any one who remembers, the NBA really did not want any of the ABA, but was made to take 4 teams. I for one think it was a mistake. I never cared for the NBA and if it was not for the Pacers I still would not watch any of them. Those who are old enough to remember, know that for the first few years of the ABA the great NBA would not allow them to play. And when they did, the ABA was just as good and in a lot of games, the ABA was much better. But that is all history so I guess we will just have to set back and let Stern run everything.

Default Re: Dream of might have been

What does Stern have to do with this? He wasn't commish when the merger was made was it?

Stern was lead counsel for the NBA then. They listened to him.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Ah ok, didn't know that.

If they were able to get the contract, I imagine they would have gotten a merger closer to their wants (which would have made the NBA like the MLB having the NL and AL champs playing in the finals I believe). But when the actual merger did take place, they really didn't get what they wanted. However, they were so close to folding that they had to take what they could get (if I am incorrect anywhere, feel free to correct me).

_PD_

The ABA teams that didn't come over were unlikely to survive the next season without the merger anyway. I think there was about a $4M buyin.
    The real rape was that the new teams weren't allowed any tv money for I believe 4 years and weren't there also draft restrictions too? It was less a merger and more like surrender terms.

Yes, that is correct. The funny thing is - I believe the owners of the St. Louis Spirits are still making money off of the TV deals from the 4 ex-ABA teams.