Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67

Thread: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

  1. #26
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,522
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd give my right arm to have Stern make a repeat luncheon appearance for our season ticket holders. He'd need the national guard to get him out safely.
    I was at the last one and I bit my tongue and didn't ask a single question, mainly out of respect for the Pacers and not wanting to reflect badly on the Pacer organization.

    If I ever again get the chance to ask Stern a few questions, I will let him have it and they'll have to drag me out of there to stop me. I will not be a lunatic or anything like that, but I'll have some well thought out questions for the stupid MFer.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  2. #27
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Hmmm, I am not so sure I am as mad at Stern as everyone else seems to be, from just glancing at the thread. Of course, I just had time for a quick skim of the article, I'll make sure to read it completely soon.

    I am not sure I'd want anything to do with titbits that relate to David Stern, however.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #28
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    If Stern was 100% sure the arena was safe to play in, I have no problem with him ordering the Pacers to play.

    I like to think Stern called after the locker room had been checked, and re-checked.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  4. #29
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Did Stern actually talk to anyone or was it just Stu Jackson. I thought I heard it was Stu who said he had to play for get fined a load.

  5. #30
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think stern has connections with al-qaida
    I don't even think that's funny. I don't like Stern either but that's just going to far dude.

  6. #31
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Soup, maybe this isn't the article that mentions it, but did you catch the fact that he was actually ANGRY at us for not wanting to play?

  7. #32
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Grace is correct, from everything I have read Stu Jackson is the person who DW was in contact with.
    Doesn't matter. Stern is the top dog - it's his responsibility - 1-0
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  8. #33
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Soup, maybe this isn't the article that mentions it, but did you catch the fact that he was actually ANGRY at us for not wanting to play?
    Well, if the Pacers had been informed the bomb threat was 100% fake, after the locker room had been checked several times, then I could see why he would be angry. I can also understand why the Pacers didn't want to go.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  9. #34
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, if the Pacers had been informed the bomb threat was 100% fake, after the locker room had been checked several times, then I could see why he would be angry. I can also understand why the Pacers didn't want to go.
    What you seem to forget is that in history, several people were told that the "bomb was not real", or that the "threats were from a looney".

    Reggie heard those words, and ended up with a burned down house.
    Other people heard them and ended up dead.

    The fact that a police officer even considers to be so cocky as to be sure there's nothing and NOT warn the general public is so outrageous that it is comparable as a 100% guarantee the plane will NOT fall down.

    If I were in the audience that night I would have been on the phone to my lawyer most of the day, preparing a lawsuit.

    NO ONE takes a risk with my life except me, I do not need "assurances" from "any" police officer that I am safe, no matter how much faith I have, I prefer to err on the safe side, several miles away, untill I am sure that it eiter went off, or the time in which it should has well passed.

    ANYONE to state that I am a wuss for feeling that way is invited to come live in Northern Ireland or in the Jewish part of Antwerp, and see what you say when a car blows up around the corner.


    P.S. there is not such thing as a 100% sure fake bomb threat, it is either real or not, but the only way to find out is either get blown up or be lucky
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  10. #35
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Preach it bro!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  11. #36
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What you seem to forget is that in history, several people were told that the "bomb was not real", or that the "threats were from a looney".

    Reggie heard those words, and ended up with a burned down house.
    Other people heard them and ended up dead.

    The fact that a police officer even considers to be so cocky as to be sure there's nothing and NOT warn the general public is so outrageous that it is comparable as a 100% guarantee the plane will NOT fall down.

    If I were in the audience that night I would have been on the phone to my lawyer most of the day, preparing a lawsuit.

    NO ONE takes a risk with my life except me, I do not need "assurances" from "any" police officer that I am safe, no matter how much faith I have, I prefer to err on the safe side, several miles away, untill I am sure that it eiter went off, or the time in which it should has well passed.

    ANYONE to state that I am a wuss for feeling that way is invited to come live in Northern Ireland or in the Jewish part of Antwerp, and see what you say when a car blows up around the corner.


    P.S. there is not such thing as a 100% sure fake bomb threat, it is either real or not, but the only way to find out is either get blown up or be lucky

    Well if it doesn't happen, it is fake right? After checking the locker room, and I'm sure other areas in the Palace, several times, I would be pretty confident the threat is fake. You are right, there was a small chance that it still might not of been, but not playing because of that small chance would be ridiculous.

    No one was forcing these guys to play the game, if they felt strongly enough about it, they could have simply stayed on the bus, and taken their fines. No one was carrying them into the palace.

    In the end, you simply cannot allow teams to not play games because of prank bomb-threats. If Stern/Jackson/whoever were to allow this, pranksters from all across the country would be calling in and cancelling games.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  12. #37
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry able, I disagree. I have kept quiet since this is a Pacers site, but I think that way overboard.

    I work security, and I can see where telling people there is a "situation" is better then coming out any saying "we had a bomb threat"

    Do you realize what a ruckous that would have caused? I think they handled it fine.

    Also, we dont know what kind of security happens. At my place of work, they generally sniff for bombs every evening and every morning. Sure someone/something can sneak in, but once you have done a thurogh check, thats all you can do.

    I still havent seen the game, and I cant comment on the cockiness of the police, but to say that you would filea lawsuit in that situation is just crazy.
    I agree, annoucing to the sold-out Palace that there was a "bomb threat" over the PA would be disastrous.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  13. #38
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, annoucing to the sold-out Palace that there was a "bomb threat" over the PA would be disastrous.
    That's the irresponsible way to do it. The way they would actually do it, is simply announce they are evacuating, and not say why. They can learn once they're outside why they had to leave. That keeps the panic down to a small dose.

  14. #39
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    It seems you guys either missed part of world history or (sorry VA) work in "security" on the damn wrong side of the fence!

    Can you recite the numkber of dead athletes as results of bomb blasts in this world?
    Do you have any idea on the number of dead people as a result of a bombing for which a warning was given but people decided that it was "invonvenient" to get all the people out?

    "well something can sneak in after that but it is highly unlikely"
    "well it didn't go off so it was fake"

    You gotta be ****tin me here!

    "well someone snug in and blew up your son man, we're sorry but they're usually safe you know...."

    "well sorry maam, the kiddo was warned but he said they were fake anyway, however we can tell you he did not suffer one but, his head was found 3 miles down the road, so he must have been dead as the bomb went off......!"


    "No Mr. Miller, we are sure they are just pranksters, no risk involved, you can safely stay there, just fans with a hangover....."


    You know what; there are people out there threatening to kill you and they mean it, some just bluff, but you gotta ask yourself one question:


    You wanna take the risk?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  15. #40
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's the irresponsible way to do it. The way they would actually do it, is simply announce they are evacuating, and not say why. They can learn once they're outside why they had to leave. That keeps the panic down to a small dose.
    Yeah, I suppose.

    Saying "bomb" over the PA would pretty much be a no-no, I guess.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  16. #41
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's the irresponsible way to do it. The way they would actually do it, is simply announce they are evacuating, and not say why. They can learn once they're outside why they had to leave. That keeps the panic down to a small dose.
    Which is what has been done for years on end with bomb threats and will be done for years to come, except in Detroit, where one of these days another punk will not be bluffing.......
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  17. #42
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems you guys either missed part of world history or (sorry VA) work in "security" on the damn wrong side of the fence!

    Can you recite the numkber of dead athletes as results of bomb blasts in this world?
    Do you have any idea on the number of dead people as a result of a bombing for which a warning was given but people decided that it was "invonvenient" to get all the people out?

    "well something can sneak in after that but it is highly unlikely"
    "well it didn't go off so it was fake"

    You gotta be ****tin me here!

    "well someone snug in and blew up your son man, we're sorry but they're usually safe you know...."

    "well sorry maam, the kiddo was warned but he said they were fake anyway, however we can tell you he did not suffer one but, his head was found 3 miles down the road, so he must have been dead as the bomb went off......!"


    "No Mr. Miller, we are sure they are just pranksters, no risk involved, you can safely stay there, just fans with a hangover....."


    You know what; there are people out there threatening to kill you and they mean it, some just bluff, but you gotta ask yourself one question:


    You wanna take the risk?
    You act as if they assume it is fake without investigating it first. They searched the Palace, and found nothing. At some point, you just have to realize **** happens, and you can't always prevent it.

    You still failed to address my other two points. The Pacers were apparently okay with taking the "risk" you speak of, as I'm sure they would have forfeited a bit of their money if they felt their lives were in grave danger. And the NBA really had no other choice in the matter, they can't cancel games for every little risk of danger.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  18. #43
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    able this is one area where I'm very thankful to say the USA is not like the rest of the world. We dont' have dead atheletes all over our history due to idiot terrorists. 9/11 proved we may be on our way to that, but up until now it's still not a part of the American world. So you can't really be shocked if any American city isn't as sensitive to a bomb threat as other areas in the world. It's just not krept into our society yet. Hopefully it never does (because it only will if we get burnt).

  19. #44
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    I can agree with Hicks on "how to handle" the announcement. I cannot agree with the fact there was no notification at all. I was sitting on a plane once. A bomb threat was called in. The announcement that came over the cabin PA was for everyone to move to the aisle, move forward and out of the plane as quickly as possible and leave EVERYTHING you brought on the plane. They didn't say there was a bomb threat - just get out of the plane. They didn't leave us on the plane at the jet way until they found out if the threat was fake or not. They used common sense.

    We have all experienced "fake" fire alarms. You don't take a chance. You get the people out. My whole contention is the Palace should have been evacuated. Then advise the fans of a bomb threat and give them the OPPORTUNITY to make an educated decision whether to re-enter or not.
    To handle the situation the way they did was completely irresponsible.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  20. #45
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You act as if they assume it is fake without investigating it first. They searched the Palace, and found nothing. At some point, you just have to realize **** happens, and you can't always prevent it.

    You still failed to address my other two points. The Pacers were apparently okay with taking the "risk" you speak of, as I'm sure they would have forfeited a bit of their money if they felt their lives were in grave danger. And the NBA really had no other choice in the matter, they can't cancel games for every little risk of danger.

    Sorry, but with all due respect, this is absolute nonsense.

    A game of basketball is not worth taking the risk of life of ONE person in the world, let alone a basketball arena in a suburb of Detroit and most certainly not with the players of my favorite team in it!.

    I did not fail to address anything you wrote, you fail to see the danger that is there, just because nothing happened doesn't mean that it could not have happened, if it had, what would your words have been?>?
    "nothing like a little risk" ???

    Investigating? a dog in the lockerrroom?

    hahhah fooled you: it was in the loo.

    or

    hahahaha fewled you: it was under the bench.


    want me to go on?

    There is a reason why "standard police procedure" in places where bomb threats occur are to "evecuate" and check every square inch. Something that did not happen.

    The "little" risk is human life, yours, your parents, your friends.

    Where would you have been in line if Rcarey had gotten blown up? or the team and Sassan as well for that matter?
    What would have been your stance then?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  21. #46
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,461

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can agree with Hicks on "how to handle" the announcement. I cannot agree with the fact there was no notification at all. I was sitting on a plane once. A bomb threat was called in. The announcement that came over the cabin PA was for everyone to move to the aisle, move forward and out of the plane as quickly as possible and leave EVERYTHING you brought on the plane. They didn't say there was a bomb threat - just get out of the plane. They didn't leave us on the plane at the jet way until they found out if the threat was fake or not. They used common sense.

    We have all experienced "fake" fire alarms. You don't take a chance. You get the people out. My whole contention is the Palace should have been evacuated. Then advise the fans of a bomb threat and give them the OPPORTUNITY to make an educated decision whether to re-enter or not.
    To handle the situation they did was completely irresponsible.
    I agree with this stance, which I believe is the same one Able was making. The building should have been emptied, a fire alarm would have done the trick. The building is then checked and deemed safe everyone can come back. To not empty the building seems very irresponsible. When we have a bomb threat at school we empty the building until the dogs come and declair it safe. I believe the only one we ever had wasd emptied with a fire alarm.

  22. #47
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    I was at the game - and can tell you I was pretty upset no announcement was made. All I would have liked was for people to evacuate the building.

    All I can say, is THERE IS ALWAYS A FIRST TIME.

    And when you're in Detroit, it seems like the 'first time' might happen in that environment more than usual.

    I have to agree with everything able and ABA have stated.

  23. #48
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with this stance, which I believe is the same one Able was making. The building should have been emptied, a fire alarm would have done the trick. The building is then checked and deemed safe everyone can come back. To not empty the building seems very irresponsible. When we have a bomb threat at school we empty the building until the dogs come and declair it safe. I believe the only one we ever had wasd emptied with a fire alarm.
    I agree with this also.

  24. #49
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but with all due respect, this is absolute nonsense.

    A game of basketball is not worth taking the risk of life of ONE person in the world, let alone a basketball arena in a suburb of Detroit and most certainly not with the players of my favorite team in it!.

    I did not fail to address anything you wrote, you fail to see the danger that is there, just because nothing happened doesn't mean that it could not have happened, if it had, what would your words have been?>?
    "nothing like a little risk" ???

    Investigating? a dog in the lockerrroom?

    hahhah fooled you: it was in the loo.

    or

    hahahaha fewled you: it was under the bench.


    want me to go on?

    There is a reason why "standard police procedure" in places where bomb threats occur are to "evecuate" and check every square inch. Something that did not happen.

    The "little" risk is human life, yours, your parents, your friends.

    Where would you have been in line if Rcarey had gotten blown up? or the team and Sassan as well for that matter?
    What would have been your stance then?
    First, I'd like to get one thing straight. Maybe I've been a bit misleading here, but if a safe evacuation were possible, I'd be all for it. I hadn't put much thought into that aspect, but what Hicks said made sense, it could had easily been emptied.

    The game of basketball is not worth a human life, no doubt. But after investigation, the ONLY evidence of a bomb was the threat, a phone call. They found nothing else, and you simply cannot cancel an NBA game because of a phone call. If they had reason to believe it was a legit bomb-threat, sure, but the NBA cannot afford to set the precedent of canceling games because of prank phone calls.

    Now, I must admit, we come from two seperate worlds. I don't know for sure where you live, but you made it clear a phoned-in bomb threat carries much more weight where you live, than here. I am beginning to think this is the root of our disagreement, as Hicks said, it is just a difference in societies.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  25. #50
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The game of basketball is not worth a human life, no doubt. But after investigation, the ONLY evidence of a bomb was the threat, a phone call. They found nothing else, and you simply cannot cancel an NBA game because of a phone call. If they had reason to believe it was a legit bomb-threat, sure, but the NBA cannot afford to set the precedent of canceling games because of prank phone calls.
    In the abstract, I agree. But look at it from Reggie's perspective.

    The Pacers get to the arena, get off the bus, and start walking to the locker room. They get there and it's being checked out by the bomb squad. They go back to the bus. They're informed that there was a bomb threat against their locker room. They stay on the bus for a few minutes, then get off and go to the locker room. They're in the middle of changing when security comes in and says "The caller says it's still here... you all need to go back out to the bus." They go back out. They stay for a long while, then get off and start coming back in. Security says "Go back out, you still might be in danger."

    This is a hypothetical situation, but several reports did say they got on and off the bus 3 times.

    So they're back on the bus, and starting to say "Screw this. We'll come back another time. Let's go home." Rick calls the league and says they want to reschedule (easily done, treat it the same way you treat a snow day). Stu Jackson (who's been accused of being anti-Pacers more times than Stern has) gets on the phone and says "F*** you all. You'll play, or else." Carlisle and team say "Or else is looking pretty good right now." Stu: "Or else you forfeit the game and I will heavily fine each player, plus the Pacers management, plus the Pacers franchise. Even then the Pacers are split. Going by the way Reggie talked, I bet he was one that wanted to say "Screw you. I'm not playing."

    And so after the game, people wonder why Reggie was mad. You can talk about whether or not the bomb threat was real, but it's pretty darn real to the guy that's told "Leave this area because it's not safe."

    EDIT: I'm on the emergency response team for my site, and we do a good bit of bomb threat training. When they say that it was specific, it means that the person described the area that it was hidden. Not "in the locker room" but "in the locker room that looks like this and has these places to hold a bomb." Then after the search, a call back that says "No, you missed it, you didn't check these places."

    If someone made those kinds of threats at my workplace we'd send everyone home for the day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •