Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

If the bomb threat specifically was the lockerroom does that really mean the arena should be emptied?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Able,

From your lawyer background (if my memory is correct), do the fans have any legal recourse!? Frankly, they should. Evacuations happen all the time for a lot less serious threat!!

I'd be furious if I had my children at that game and wasn't evacuated and given the chance to choose to put myself and family in danger!!

Water

Dream Big

Quote Originally Posted by waterjater
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Able,

From your lawyer background (if my memory is correct), do the fans have any legal recourse!? Frankly, they should. Evacuations happen all the time for a lot less serious threat!!

I'd be furious if I had my children at that game and wasn't evacuated and given the chance to choose to put myself and family in danger!!

Water

NewType

What if saying the bomb in the locker room was a diversion? It could happen. The standard procedure for bomb threat is always to evacuate the building. The location in which the threat mentions should only be an area to focus on, but not the only place to look at. For a situation like this, it should ALWAYS over react.

Regarding to Friday, does anyone find it is strange for the Palace to have K-9s checking for bombs in the visitor's locker room during the day before the threat? Is that a normal procedure for event security?

Quote Originally Posted by NewType
    What if saying the bomb in the locker room was a diversion?
    Wouldn't the best diversion not be tipping anyone off to its presence anywhere?

IOW- If you are going to use a diversion and give the wrong location so it won't be found, why even bother making a call at all?

It could happen. The standard procedure for bomb threat is always to evacuate the building. The location in which the threat mentions should only be an area to focus on, but not the only place to look at. For a situation like this, it should ALWAYS over react.
    I'd be surprised to learn the standard procedure is to empty the building. I'm willing to bet we've all been in places where a threat was called in and the authorities weighed the options and decided not to inform us.

I know I have been in a position to know of a bomb threat and the authorities decided not to inform the general public. I kind of assumed that was more the norm than an evacuation.

Regarding to Friday, does anyone find it is strange for the Palace to have K-9s checking for bombs in the visitor's locker room during the day before the threat? Is that a normal procedure for event security?
    Somewhere I saw that was normal procedure... and being one of the skeptical ones here I have to say I don't necessarily believe that. Maybe that is something that came about after 9/11.... It just seems odd to me all things considered.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

This has been fun reading.

I think a couple of things are coming into play here & I'm just looking at this from a differant angle.

Have you noticed that how you feel the bomb threat was handled falls down the party line of whether or not you are mad at Stern for booting Ron for the season?

In other words Able (& others) are adamantly opposed to the suspensions & hate Stern are saying that he once again screwed the pooch with this.

Then you have SoupIsGood & VAPacersfans (both of whom have stated they have no real problem with the season long suspension) saying they understand why it was handled the way it was.

I'm not making comment on any of this, I'm just pointing it out.

I do think we are certainly seeing a European vs. American mentallity when it comes to the way bomb threats are handled. Hicks already did a great job of describing this so there is no need for me to rehash.

Of course I also am on record as having no real problem with the suspension & following suit I have no real problem with the way the bomb threat was handled.

From what I understand the Palace security never once asked the Pacers team to board the bus. That was our team security that did that.

Also I keep reading that Reggie's house was burnt down by fans. A couple of things.

1. Nobody has ever been arrested, convicted or publicly accused.

2. It's kind of common knowledge around town who was suspected, but no proof could ever be found. That person was NOT a fan.

So I don't think you can use the "Reggie had his house burnt to the ground" theory as a reason why he didn't want to play.

Unfortunately we have some written documentation (Reggies autobiography) that states that Reggie has played through death threats before without threatening to not play. However I am willing to concede that that was prior to Setember 11, 2001 so we do live in a new world.

I'll let you in on a little seceret. When it all was going on I kept laughing at home with my family saying that it would be funny if it was Herb Simon calling in the threat from home just to screw the Pistons franchise out of the gate for the night.

I knew that there was no way in h#ll it was him, but it was just a funny thought.

Either way, go Pacers

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This has been fun reading.

2. It's kind of common knowledge around town who was suspected, but no proof could ever be found. That person was NOT a fan.

Can you give any details without the name. Ex-wife maybe.

So I don't think you can use the "Reggie had his house burnt to the ground" theory as a reason why he didn't want to play.

I agree

Unfortunately we have some written documentation (Reggies autobiography) that states that Reggie has played through death threats before without threatening to not play. However I am willing to concede that that was prior to Setember 11, 2001 so we do live in a new world.

Good point.

I'll let you in on a little seceret. When it all was going on I kept laughing at home with my family saying that it would be funny if it was Herb Simon calling in the threat from home just to screw the Pistons franchise out of the gate for the night.

I was thinking Ron Artest was doing it for chits and giggles.

Either way, go Pacers
    One thing I expected was Reggie to get suspended for a game over what he said about Stern. I guess in a way you still have freedom of speech to a certain extent (as long as it doesnt involve officiating), If we had RA and O'Neal,Tinsley back for playoffs we would kick their a$$.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    One thing I expected was Reggie to get suspended for a game over what he said about Stern.
    He was suspended for 2 and a half quarters. Since Stern couldn't come out and offically suspend him for a game he made Rick sit out too.

aceace wrote "Can you give any details without the name. Ex-wife maybe."

I am not accusing the guy of this but it was widely mentioned that it was Marita's brother.

Again, to be clear, nobody was ever officially accused of this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I can't blame Reggie and the Pacers for taking the threat seriously. Past job performance or lack there of proves the Palace's security is way below par. And yes this is coming from someone who is also in the security/public safety business.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Also I keep reading that Reggie's house was burnt down by fans. A couple of things.

1. Nobody has ever been arrested, convicted or publicly accused.

My dad is an insurance agent with State Farm, which happened to have Reggie's house insured. According to my dad, there were no convictions/publicly accused is because it was Reggie's wife that (supposedly) set it ablaze. It happened right before they got their divorce, and according to my dad she had just happened to have taken all her jewerly out of the house that day.

Muncie is a little ways from Indy, so things might be exaggrated at meetings to tell a good story, but it explains why nothing ever happened.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

I'm really surprised that in this post 9/11 era, Sturn and or Jackson could be angry because the Pacers didn't feel safe enough to play. I now see why the NBA is getting less popular, and it's not the players' fault either...

Could be. Though I was watching Beyond The Glory: Reggie Miller last night and he talked about how the thing that bothered him the most is to that to this day who doesn't know who did it, and why they did it.

PacerNation

While I totally agree with the lack of sensitivity, I do understand Stern's rationale, which is also a fatal flaw.

Stern's role as NBA commissioner is to help keep the cash flow up (via keeping the league attractive to consumers). A cancelled game Friday would have meant refunding tickets, and answering to complaints, and potential law suits from season ticket holders.

This is in no way an reasonable excuse, just a demonstration of what he's all about. Some may see this as a premise for the small market versus big market team favoritism that many allege. That discussion is for another thread, and one I try to avoid; it's strange, some people get really offended when you bring that argument up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's what prompted my discussion with my dad. Althought he's one to be brutally honest so I believe what he says.

Just throwing that out there, if you don't like it you can throw it back.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

_PD_

Not to belabor the point

I don't make bombs, nor know anything about them, but it strikes me that a bomb in the Ps lockerroom is probably not going to do much damage to pisston fans. I am however once again astonished by their security, that it was OUR security who suggested leaving the building and getting on the bus. Why isn't that the default procedure?

If we give arena security the benefit of the doubt, (oh duh, weren't these the guys who did nothing during the brawl?), they WERE on top of the lockerroom and probably didn't think it necessary to evacuate. But I too was wondering why everyone was left sitting there. If you'll remember, about an hour or so goes by before we even know there has been a bomb threat.

On another note, how ironic would it have been if a bomb had gone off while the Ps were on their bus and that bomb had injured detroit fans? Oh wait I forgot, it was Mel Simon that called. kakaakkakaak

Hopefully, Pacer security has a couple of guards around the bus at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Could be. Though I was watching Beyond The Glory: Reggie Miller last night and he talked about how the thing that bothered him the most is to that to this day who doesn't know who did it, and why they did it.
    John Starks maybe?

-Bball

------

-John Wooden