Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

Default Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

Miller mouths off, gets tossed early
    2 technical fouls for Indiana veteran result in 1st-half exit

BY SAM SMITH

March 27, 2005

The Indiana Pacers' Reggie Miller had an unpleasant return in what probably was his last NBA game in Chicago, but it wasn't from the crowd.

The Bulls roughed up Miller a bit. He drew two technical foul calls from referee Blaine Reichelt and was ejected with about three minutes left in the first half.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle also was ejected by the seemingly thin-skinned Reichelt for comments made toward the ref.

Mum's the word

Carlisle said before the game he didn't want to discuss Friday night's bomb threats in Auburn Hills, Mich., before the Pacers defeated the Pistons.

"It's over with," he said. "It's not worth talking about."

But the bomb threats and the Pacers' refusal to play until they were satisfied it was safe in the arena will have consequences. NBA insiders say Commissioner David Stern was furious with the Pacers and threatened massive fines if the Pacers didn't play, which was discussed among the players during the delay. Eventually players were persuaded to take the court, though bitter feelings remain among the Pacers regarding their treatment from the brawl with the Pistons and the league's subsequent handling of the matter.

"We've been penalized so much this year, and nothing has ever happened to the Pistons or the Palace or even the city of Detroit," Miller said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it, and the league ought to be ashamed to let security be as lax as it is around here.

"David Stern has to take a hard look in the mirror every morning he wakes up on his decision on the way he penalized us and the way he penalized the Pistons."

Coaching laurels

The Bulls' Scott Skiles, Phoenix's Mike D'Antoni, Seattle's Nate McMillan and Washington's Eddie Jordan are considered the front-runners for coach of the year.

But considering all the Pacers' suspensions and injuries--367 player games missed, 27 different starting lineups, 17 different starters and their top three players now out--some are saying Carlisle deserves consideration.

"We did something I don't think any team in this league could do," said Jermaine O'Neal, who is with the team but not playing due to a shoulder injury. "Take the top three players off any team and key role players, and who's going to be in the position we're in?"

Layups

Skiles said the team is hoping Kirk Hinrich will play Monday against Memphis. . . . Eddy Curry, who fell short of his career-high 31 points with 27, said he bumped his right knee with Jeff Foster before coming out at the end of the third quareter. "I noticed it swelled up a little bit," Curry said. "We don't think it's anything serious. I sat out for precautionary reasons." . . . Skiles said he's a big fan of Miller's: "If you're not impressed with the guy, you don't have any blood. He got the most out of his talent. He reached his potential. What bigger compliment can you give a human being?"

While in Detroit for Friday's game, four of the Pacers charged in the November brawl--O'Neal, Anthony Johnson, David Harrison and Stephen Jackson--went to Auburn Hills police for fingerprinting. Their next court date is April 8.

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

woman without a team

Default Re: Miller mouths off, gets tossed early (interesting titbits)

From time to time I am a conspiracy theorist. I have no trouble believing the NBA is behind Reggie and Rick getting tossed. My other theory is the bomb threat really bothered Reggie, bring back memories of when his house burned down. He probably didn't get any sleep and wasn't about to try to keep his mouth shut when the refs were crappy as usual. In Rick's case another possibilty is that Blaine was on his period and forgot how to count to two.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This just shows what a selfish, greedy little prick Stern is, that he would be furious that players would be concerned for their own safety, both during the brawl and concerning the bomb threat.

sweabs

Do the players even have some type of "right to refuse unsafe work" like we do here? It's called WHMIS.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do the players even have some type of "right to refuse unsafe work" like we do here? It's called WHMIS.
    We might, but they'd have to prove it. The Pacers could tell Stern the sky is blue and the grass is green. Not only would Stern disagree he'd fine us for speaking our minds.

My view of Stern has been lowered yet again. What a jackass.

I couldn't give a how furious Stern was. Little . I can tell you this, if I was at the Palace - especially with kids - Stern would have gotten an earful from me about not notifying the crowd and being given the option to stay or leave. What a two-face he is.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I was just wondering, isn't it some criminal act if you refuse to keep knowledge of this of people involved?

Say a bomb would've gone off, who would be responsible for not warning people in time?

Couldn't be that was the Palace organization, police and NBA combined now could it?

IF this (what Smith wrote) above is true, i.e. Stern/Jackson forced the Pacers to play, then Stern is on his way out of the league, no way owners will accept such visions of grandeur of one man.

Specially for Reggie (house) this must be hard to swallow.

Detroit can "tune down" all it wants, but 4 threats on one night or in fact ANY bomb threat is not a regular or every day occurance in basketball arenas, certainly in the current atmosphere in the USA post 9/11 these kind of threats are not taken lightly, and would reach the press.

The fact nothing happened does not mean that those saying "nothing was going to happen" were right, it just means everyone was lucky, odds I would not take in a bet.

3ptmiller

I think stern has connections with al-qaida

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I couldn't give a how furious Stern was. Little . I can tell you this, if I was at the Palace - especially with kids - Stern would have gotten an earful from me about not notifying the crowd and being given the option to stay or leave. What two-face he is.
    My parents have been thinking about contacting someone.

They were really unsure of what to do. Part of them wanted for us all to go wait outside, or near the front doors until we heard more information. That way we could easily get out of the building if they in fact wanted us evacuated.

I think they were worried about how the fans would react if the PA announcer said something like "The game has been cancelled - please evacuate the building for a bomb threat". By that time, for one, some fans had their fair share of drinks. Would they have lashed out at the bad news? Would there have been a controlled exit from the building?

I'm not sure - and I'm real glad that I didn't have to find out. But my parents have seriously thought about complaining to someone about it all - just not sure who.

So you knew? I was under the impression no mention of the bomb threat was made to the crowd. As for the contact - a direct call to David Stern should be made. I would be interested to see if he would even take it.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    So you knew? I was under the impression no mention of the bomb threat was made to the crowd. As for the contact - a direct call to David Stern should be made. I would be interested to see if he would even take it.
    Nope - the only reason I was able to find out was because I was sitting beside a friendly seasons ticket holder, who asked his usher what the hell was going on. He was later told it was a bomb threat, and he came back down to his seat and whispered it in my ear...

All that was said over the PA was:
    "There have been some unforseen circumstances".

woman without a team

No he won't take it. No matter who you try to call in the NBA I'm sure you'd be directed to the PR guy. Send an e-mail and you'll get a form letter back in a month.

I'd give my right arm to have Stern make a repeat luncheon appearance for our season ticket holders. He'd need the national guard to get him out safely.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This is a little OT:

but last night I had a dream that he had one of those confrences with season ticket holders and when he answered a question someone didnt like it and Stern had a chair thrown at his head.

He stated he would never come back to Indiana, and that the Pacers had the worst fans in the history of the NBA.

If he did such a thing, his broken body would be laying on the sidewalk below Pepsi Square surrounded by shards of glass about 3 seconds later.

Seriously, I had to hold my sister back from going after Dikembe Mutombo once. She'd have no problem with Stern, regardless of the fact she's 5'2".
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I hate that mother ****er so bad right now. He continues to **** our season of hell over, and I REALLY want someone to kick that mother ****er's ***. I am so pissed right now. Stern needs to be fired, NOW
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I wasn't going to comment but since this thread is rather busy.....

It is "tidbits"...

...at least in the USA

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I take it we are going to be punished for trying to be safe.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Damn! I hope the Pacers upper management and the Simons are lobbying for tuning down the power of this guy FAST!

Couldn't we raise enough money for www.****stern.com or something? I know I would contribute!!!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

This is totally ridiculous! If David Stern was in our position,do you think he would want to take the court? I dont think so. Obviously, he didn't care if the Pacers were hurt or not. This is just another example of him favoring precious Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I wasn't going to comment but since this thread is rather busy.....

It is "tidbits"...

...at least in the USA

-Bball

And it took 19 postst to even get to that

must have been a slip of the ...

lmao at the sig ^^^

ReggieMiller8325

Well Stern ****s up our season because we are the bad luck team anyways **** stern.

You know what - calling Stern Napoleon is giving him too much credit. Stern is the small anatomical part of Napoleon!

ReggieMiller8325

No sterns a piece of carp hes a orphen i'm telling you.