Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question....

Default A question....

Ok, just go ahead & laugh at me now but here comes the Dale Davis question I have been dying to ask since about 1999. But I have had to update it because of recent events.

I wanted to know back then if there was even a remote posibility that Dale could have his # retired.

When he was traded I gave up all hope for that.

But now I have to wonder, if we do anything this season in the playoffs & I mean just about anything & Dale is a large part of this (games like last night) & if next season we do go at least back to the finals, is there any way that you guys think Dale should have the # 32 retired?

I'm without a doubt biased, so I want some honest thoughts on this.

He's the teams all-time leading rebounder (NBA) & even though I thought that J.O. would blow him away with this part if he stays a few more years he may put it out of reach for J.O.

He's one of the all-time leading shot blockers for the team.

He is, IMO, one of the pillars of those 90's teams & IMO again, the main catalyst right now as to how we are staying competative.

He has never had an offensive game so do you think the franchise would honor a player like that?

I'll sit back and read the responses for awhile.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: A question....

I think it will hinge on if he re-signs with the Pacers. How much will it take to lock him up for 3 or 4 years. I think he looks like the same Dale we traded for O'Neal way back when. He just turned 36 yesterday, obviously stays in great shape. You know he's got to have some girlfriends in Indy and likes it here. I would retire his number if he finishes his career here for sure, and if he punishes Wallace like he did last night the next couple years that would be enough for me.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

I tend to think he won't. Although I wonder if there is something else the Pacers organization can do for players that were not quite good enough to have their jersey retired. Players like Rik Smits, Dale Davis maybe a few others who I won't mention, they deserve something but they don't deserve their numbers retired.

I just don't know how you can retire DD and not Smits. And I really don't think Rik's should be retired.

He's not the flashiest, most prominent player. But you could make a case for it

I probably wouldn't though
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donnie's recently stated that a few years ago the Pacers decided that they would not retire any more jerseys until Reggie's was ready to be hoisted. And that Reggie's would be the first NBA-era Pacer player to hang.

The way it was worded, I inferred that maybe there were other player(s) that were being considered or whose jerseys would be retired with or after Reggie's.

I really don't see Dale's being retired. For these type of honors, points always seem to be a large contributing factor, and Dale simply has not scored enough of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's the teams all-time leading rebounder (NBA) & even though I thought that J.O. would blow him away with this part if he stays a few more years he may put it out of reach for J.O.

He's one of the all-time leading shot blockers for the team.
    If it was up to me both Rick and Dale would have their number retired, but I don't take the decisions

however as for rebounds, JO is 1,600 behind, and considering his age we can safely say if he stays the rest of his contract here he is likely to have passed DD already by then considering he grabs over 800 a season.
    Same goes for blocks, he is 200 behind DD, with close to that per year it is also likely he will surpass DD there.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo

I would retire Dale's way before I would retire Ricks number.

I am not sure if he will get his number retired but if we win a title and he plays the kind of roll in it he is now and then finished his career here then I could see it.

Guys where can I find a link to see the all time stat leaders for the Pacers?

I don't think he will, but I'd be very happy if they did.

I really don't think they will retire his number. Pacers don't retire many jerseys, if they retire Dale's, they should retire Rik and Mark's. Especially Rik, he was a big part of those teams, 2nd all time leading scorer in Pacer history.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Sports Logo

I dont think it is a coincidence that we are winning some big games now that Dale is here. I think we need to wait and make sure he is back next year before we start a petition or anything.

I really dont see why Dale wouldnt come back and play for us next year. We give him somewhere around 2 million for 2 years, He knows that we are probably the only team in the NBA that wants him to start for us and this is the best place for him. If he doesnt retire I dont see him going anywhere other then Indiana

Hasn't Dale stated that he wants to finish his career in Indiana, and that his salary won't be an issue?
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    Hasn't Dale stated that he wants to finish his career in Indiana, and that his salary won't be an issue?

Welll we know from past experience when a player says that they never leave.

I don't think his number will be retired. I tend to agree with UB though, we should have some sort of Ring of Honor or something. There are still some ABA Pacers like Freddie Lewis, Bob Netolicky, Mike Storen and maybe even Keller who deserve that honor and then Rik and Dale - I'm not sold on Jackson being at that level.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I tend to think that Chuck Person, Rik Smits and Dale Davis are the only Pacers that deserve some sort of hohor - other than Reggie for their NBA (not ABA) contributions

And I think they all deserve something - would I be there for each of their number retirements? Probably.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Sports Logo

Dont the Suns do that. I think it is a good idea. They should at least not let any other player wear that number for a long time.

Good call Doug, I forgot Chuck.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

woman without a team

I'm not sure that Dale's jersey should be retired. I do know I'd retire Rik's first.

As for Dale coming back next year I'm not all together sure that's such a great idea. Part of the reason he's playing well now is he hardly played the first 3/4 of the season. I know when JO and Ron are back next year some of the load will be off Dale. I'm just not convinced he can take it for the long hall. I know Kegboy is worried Dale will end up like Sam Perkins his last year here.

On a side note, Suaveness your new avitar is a HUGE improvement. Hicks, while I love your new avitar one of Scot looking into the camera and saying "He started it would" be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Hicks, while I love your new avitar one of Scot looking into the camera and saying "He started it" would be even better.
    You mean this?

If the Pacers can play like they did last night, win the Championship, I would be in favor of retiring the numbers of everybody on the this team. Even both Jon's.

That was a great, well played game by all of those guys.

I'm really starting to love Dale Davis's play. He has been a stabilizing force for this team. It's just great.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife
    If the Pacers can play like they did last night, win the Championship, I would be in favor of retiring the numbers of everybody on the this team. Even both Jon's.
    If they do that I assume Kegboy and I will have our seats retired too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    You mean this?

LMAO that is great, "He started it"

No way. Dale is great, and he's going to be a terrific contributor, but you don't retire jerseys of roll players who ask to be traded and spend half of their career elsewhere. If every team retired jerseys of guys that contributed as much as Dale, the league would have to add an extra digit to jersey numbers. In my mind, the only jersey number of any currect or past player that needs to be retired is Reggie. JO has a legit shot down the road.

I'd be fine if Reggie was the only 90's era Pacer to have his jersey retired. I like the standard where it is. Dale as much as I like him isn't in the same tier as the other four retired jerseys.