Thread: As much as I want JO back.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default As much as I want JO back.....

I'm afraid to see how everyone else plays once he is back. We have great chemistry going on right now.

Let's assume he comes back for the playoffs. If we revert back to that dumping it into him every time, we are sunk. I don't think we can beat anyone in a series if we play that type of offense again.

However, if JO comes back for the playoffs, and has a role in the offense like he has in previous years, and if we get Tinsley back while everyone else playing as good as they are right now, then I think we can still beat any team in a series.

We all have seen Reggie play well this season. All of his better games have come when JO is out. Reggie is a totally different player when JO is gone. He is more aggressive, he tends to take the ball off of the dribble more. When JO is here, Reggie is passive as can be, and it drives me nuts watching it.

I'm not knocking JO. JO is the franchise player and we need him back. But we can't use that strategy once he has returned. If we do, we are sunk.

Like it has been mentioned several times on the board, Dale Davis has been a huge addition. I'll be the first to admit that I thought he would be a shell of what he once was here, and wouldn't make a huge difference. But I was totally wrong. He still plays like it's the late 1990's. Dale is all heart, and has played his *** off for us. I love having him against Detroit.

I know it's been said many times as well on here, but I'll say that I also agree that Austin Croshere has to start. We have all seen how effective Jeff can be coming off of the bench. Jeff is the same player no matter what. Austin as we all know, has to get into a rhythm, and when he does he is a very effective player.

If we can get JO and Tins back, and have a better game plan than we did when JO played earlier in the season, then I think we can beat anyone, Artest or no Artest.

Default Re: As much as I want JO back.....

AJ, Cro, and maybe Reg will come back down to earth soon, and we will be begging for JO to come back, stagnant offense or not.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo

The problem with Cro starting when J.O. is back is who do you bench? Dale? Jermaine?

I'm not saying they can play at this high a level the rest of the season. But I think it's pretty obvious that these 3 are much more effective players when they arent dumping the ball to JO every time.

I'm sure Croshere is the one that will get benched when and if JO comes back.

However, I would like to atleast try starting all three of them, and bringing SJAX off of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem with Cro starting when J.O. is back is who do you bench? Dale? Jermaine?
    You bench JO because he hasn't played a lot. Let him be our main option off the bench.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

It depends who you're playing too.

If we end up playing Detroit, i say bench dale and get Cro in as a starter. Remember how well we did last year when he drew Ben Wallace out of the paint?

Dale is of more use vs the Wallaces than Cro is. He needs to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Dale is of more use vs the Wallaces than Cro is. He needs to start.
    Agreed. DD makes me nervous as a piston fan. Cro does not. As for JO disrupting chemestry when he comes back, As good as the Pacers' depth is, you need JO to make it past first round of the playoffs (unless you get the 4th seed).

If we were to go into the playoffs (which as of a few days ago were looking like a pipe dream) on a high note, and we did it without JO, then I have to wonder why we'd push a contributor out of the way for JO? Why shouldn't it be JO that comes off the bench? Why should we revert back to what has been unsuccessful this season?

Sure, on paper having JO on the court is the way to go... except when that paper is our past record this season.

Of course seeing how things work with JO and Dale on the same court would be interesting but if we make this playoff push successful and it is without JO then I'm all for NOT fixing what isn't broken.

If we 'back in' with a 5 game skid then sure, go ahead and reinsert JO immediately. Otherwise, let's leave well enough alone until we have to make a change based on the on-court product.

I'm sure I've now spoken words that will label me a heretic....

-BBall
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    You bench JO because he hasn't played a lot. Let him be our main option off the bench.

You don't pay a player 126 million dollars to be your main option off of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    You don't pay a player 126 million dollars to be your main option off of the bench.
    You don't have to rush him back from an injury either...
    ...Especially when you are having success without him...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

You do when he hasn't played in 20+ games and hasn't conditioned or been in a game in ages. You ruin chemistry and he will likely start slow. Not a good combination.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm afraid to see how everyone else plays once he is back. We have great chemistry going on right now.

Let's assume he comes back for the playoffs. If we revert back to that dumping it into him every time, we are sunk. I don't think we can beat anyone in a series if we play that type of offense again.

However, if JO comes back for the playoffs, and has a role in the offense like he has in previous years, and if we get Tinsley back while everyone else playing as good as they are right now, then I think we can still beat any team in a series.

We all have seen Reggie play well this season. All of his better games have come when JO is out. Reggie is a totally different player when JO is gone. He is more aggressive, he tends to take the ball off of the dribble more. When JO is here, Reggie is passive as can be, and it drives me nuts watching it.

I'm not knocking JO. JO is the franchise player and we need him back. But we can't use that strategy once he has returned. If we do, we are sunk.

Like it has been mentioned several times on the board, Dale Davis has been a huge addition. I'll be the first to admit that I thought he would be a shell of what he once was here, and wouldn't make a huge difference. But I was totally wrong. He still plays like it's the late 1990's. Dale is all heart, and has played his *** off for us. I love having him against Detroit.

I know it's been said many times as well on here, but I'll say that I also agree that Austin Croshere has to start. We have all seen how effective Jeff can be coming off of the bench. Jeff is the same player no matter what. Austin as we all know, has to get into a rhythm, and when he does he is a very effective player.

If we can get JO and Tins back, and have a better game plan than we did when JO played earlier in the season, then I think we can beat anyone, Artest or no Artest.

As much as I agree that it would affect the chemistry developed if JO returns, He helps us out a lot when Reg/Sjax arent shooting well.

The game in New Jersey is a perfect example of this. We started missing shots and let NJ take control of the game. With JO you can conistently have a good percentage shot. I dont like the stagnat offense either but when we are not making shots we dont have a good chance of winning against quality opponents

This argument or discussion might be the silliest topic ever discussed on Pacers digest,

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This argument or discussion might be the silliest topic ever discussed on Pacers digest,
    That's hilarious, considering it's only been a month or two since "Supporting Ron Ron = Supporting Pacers".

OK, fair enough maybe I overstated it. But as far as serious topics go this is a little silly.

Discussing how good a fan someone is is just silly to begin with