Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

  1. #1
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,841

    Sports Logo

    Default What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    UB you heard it but I have not seen where you say what they said.

    Anyone?

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    During the delay before the game I was listenign to the radio. Mark who normally keeps his opinions to himself, was talking to Mark Montieth and Boyler said the Palace is by far the worst in the NBA. The fans are vial, and the security is lax. He said they have heard many, many racist comments each and every game, and the security people don't do anything. He said he hopes the Pacers don't play the Pistons in the playoffs because he does not want to come back, he said Boston or Miami would be much better.

    I was listening later in the game and he said similar but slightly diferent things.

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Here is what I posted about the diferent type of fans who go to the Palace

    I don't know if this is the thread for this comment.

    I've been to the Palace 2 years ago. The crowd is different there.

    The Conseco crowd has a lot of families, elder, kids, women. The Palace has more males ages 18-35.

    Yopu might say how in the hell would I know, welll that is what I observed, plus there was an article in one of the Detroit Newspapers last season or season before about how the crowds had changed over the years at the Palace, that they were getting a younger crowd. Pistons were bad there for a few season, that cleard a lot of fans out, ticket prices were lowered prices dramatically 4 or 5 years a ago and that allowed the common fan to buy tickets. The crowds are less corporate than Conseco.

    More of a football crowd

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More of a football crowd
    Euro football, maybe.

  5. #5
    Member Drewtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    507
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Later, during the game, Mark also said something to the efect of, "I cannot wait until our plane is in the air out of here tonight..."

    Slick said, "Heck, I'd assume take a bus outa here, it's probably quicker."

    And Boyle's retort was, "I'd hitchike out of here if it meant getting out quick."

    MB was really letting it loose last night.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,224

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Forget what Mark said, This is what I am saying

    I am in the Detroit area and am a huge Pacers fan. I am a general fan of the NBA and so go to the Palace when some good teams show up at the Palace. I have been to 3 or 4 other NBA arenas other than MSA.(not been to Conseco at all). I can tell you the crowd is different.

    THEY ARE a relatively higher percentage of people (compared to other NBA arenas) who are ABRASIVE, UNFRIENDLY, DRUNK, RACIST. They say very bad things to the players and other non-Pistons fans. They ignore the fact that there are kids around. They try to bait you into a fight by saying something personal or hitting you with that long balloon type of thing. If you or not in an aisle seat, you get the look if you ahve to go out, especially if you are a non Pistons fan. OF course there are lot of courteous people, etc but when I think of going to a game to the Palace, I do hesitate. I have stopped wearing Pacers gear when going to the Palace and this I did two years ago after having a bad experience. I am sure I won't get physically harmed because of the security but it just takes a toll on you and you don't enjoy the game as much.

    Kstat, shags and other pistons fans on this board, I am sure you are all standup guys. This is just been my experience

    Regards

    Pacerwaala

  7. #7
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,921

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Mark also mentioned that the Palace allowed people from the above seats to come down closer to the court. And he said a lot of those people have been drinking. He said in a game like 11/19 a lot of the lower section people had left (because of the score) and so people started moving down into those seats. Nobody ever stops them he said.

    He mentioned fans yelling out insults and racial slurs toward opposing players. He said he wasn't naive and realized that stuff happened everywhere but he implied it was far worse in Detroit.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  8. #8

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    I wholeheartedly enjoyed an Indianapolis sports representative, Mark in this case, defying political correctness (whatever that is anyway) and coming out and telling it like it is. I appreciated the lack of sugar-coating from Mark; nice to hear a real man's perspective.

    And they need to screen those callers; I am tired of people just calling in and saying their opinions of the brawl/suspensions, then asking Kevin and Mark about theirs. And then the following callers saying the exact same things, except with more long pauses and slang and undefined grammar and messages.

  9. #9
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark also mentioned that the Palace allowed people from the above seats to come down closer to the court. And he said a lot of those people have been drinking. He said in a game like 11/19 a lot of the lower section people had left (because of the score) and so people started moving down into those seats. Nobody ever stops them he said.
    -Bball
    If JOneal 7 was still around he'd tell you the same thing happens at Conseco. Of course his only complaint about it was because the people who came down made it harder for him to get stuff from the players.

  10. #10
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,811

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark also mentioned that the Palace allowed people from the above seats to come down closer to the court. And he said a lot of those people have been drinking. He said in a game like 11/19 a lot of the lower section people had left (because of the score) and so people started moving down into those seats. Nobody ever stops them he said.
    He said that in response to Monteith mentioning that in his interview with Stern, Stern said the Pistons weren't punished because they had followed procedures.

    His reply was something like "So letting drunks come down from the cheap seats is following procedures?"

    He has mentioned it before, and he did again last night that he has no complaints about the suspensions for the Pacers, but he's still steamed that the Pistons organization was not punished in some way.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  11. #11
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark also mentioned that the Palace allowed people from the above seats to come down closer to the court. And he said a lot of those people have been drinking. He said in a game like 11/19 a lot of the lower section people had left (because of the score) and so people started moving down into those seats. Nobody ever stops them he said.

    He mentioned fans yelling out insults and racial slurs toward opposing players. He said he wasn't naive and realized that stuff happened everywhere but he implied it was far worse in Detroit.

    -Bball
    This is true. Once people start clearing out of the game, guys from the upper decks will often come down to the lower level without any questioning. It is an accepted practice.

    Last night, when the people beside me left in the 4th quarter, the girl to the other side of me said I should get my family to come down and sit there. She said they always allow it - and her friends usually do the same thing.

    However, last night the usher who showed me my way to my seat made a point of telling me that no one was allowed to leave their seat yesterday.

  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Well if you know what your doing Conseco allows it also.

  13. #13

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is true. Once people start clearing out of the game, guys from the upper decks will often come down to the lower level without any questioning. It is an accepted practice.

    Last night, when the people beside me left in the 4th quarter, the girl to the other side of me said I should get my family to come down and sit there. She said they always allow it - and her friends usually do the same thing.

    However, last night the usher who showed me my way to my seat made a point of telling me that no one was allowed to leave their seat yesterday.
    You can do this even before the game is over?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  14. #14
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can do this even before the game is over?
    Yep. Most of the fans last night were clearing out with around 10 minutes left...that's when the girl beside me suggested I find my parents and brother and get them to join us.

    I asked "Are you serious?" and she told me that everyone does it and it's not looked down upon by ushers, etc. However, for last night's game, my usher made a point of telling me that I wouldn't be allowed to move down closer because of the increased security.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep. Most of the fans last night were clearing out with around 10 minutes left...that's when the girl beside me suggested I find my parents and brother and get them to join us.

    I asked "Are you serious?" and she told me that everyone does it and it's not looked down upon by ushers, etc. However, for last night's game, my usher made a point of telling me that I wouldn't be allowed to move down closer because of the increased security.

    I didn't know that. I assumed ushers would not let you through.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  16. #16
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't know that. I assumed ushers would not let you through.
    It depends on how seriously the usher takes his job and on how quiet you are about it.

  17. #17
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,950

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It depends on how seriously the usher takes his job and on how quiet you are about it.
    I've had two experiences.

    One, 11 years ago, my friends paid a guy to sneak us into MSA for game 3 against Orlando. Of course, the problem was the place was packed and we had nowhere to sit. We walked around, and noticed that 3 seats had been empty four rows below the concourse the whole game, so we went and sat in them. The usher immediately came and kicked us out.

    The other time, a couple years ago, sis and I were very early to a game, like 45 minutes before tipoff. She went to the bathroom outside of the gift shop, and I went in and stood at the railing to watch players practicing. An usher immediately came up and made me leave. So yeah, in my experience, our ushers are pretty good.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  18. #18
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What did Mark say about the Pistons fans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well if you know what your doing Conseco allows it also.
    Yeah, I was about to come down and say "hi" to you during the fourth quarter of the Lakers game a couple of weeks ago, but then the game got interesting again so I stayed up in "204".
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •