Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will someone please give AJ his props?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Will someone please give AJ his props?

I was really expecting to see someone comment on how good AJ has been lately but there's not even a mention. I suppose it's with good reason, considering that Reggie's had a number of momentus achievements lately.

Nevertheless, AJ has really blown me away with how well he's handled the PG responsibility the past two weeks. Has anyone else noticed that they are not that worried anymore when he has the ball in his hands?

Even in the losses, he's been pretty steady and other than Chucky Atkins, he's held his own defensively. He did a great job on Tony Parker, a guy that is none for shredding the Pacers everytime they play.

I'm just really pleased... no estatic about the way he's played lately. I can't lie, I really expected the worse when Tinsley started missing these games with the foot injury. However, AJ has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Give it up for AJ!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Will someone please give AJ his props?

Here you go, AJ. Take your pick:

:ladder:

:scaffold:

:walkingstick:

:handrail:

Oh, and AJ, you've performed admirably, and are actually better than I ever really gave you credit for. There, I said it.

Sports Logo

He played very well last night. If he can keep this up I would not be screaming for his replacement next season. I dont know if he can bring the ball over the half court line in a layoff game against the Pistons yet but we will see.

Diesel

AJ has really impressed me with his play. Backup pointguard was an area that I though needed to be tweaked at the end of the season but his play for the past month has been exceptional.

By the way the only reason I thought it needed to be tweaked was because of the fact that our backup pgs basically play starting minutes because of all the injuries. I always thought A.J was fine in a 15-18minute role nows hes proving he can be an effective starter.

He's impressed the bejeezus out of me - IOW, he's been better than I though he would ever be capable of being - and not by a little bit either.

It seems as if now that he's the sole PG - or at least the clear starter - that he's gone and MADE that his job. I dunno if it's clear that Tinsley starts when he's healthy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    It seems as if now that he's the sole PG - or at least the clear starter - that he's gone and MADE that his job. I dunno if it's clear that Tinsley starts when he's healthy.
    Wow what have you been drinking. Lets not go overboard here. He is doing an admirable job but he is no replacement for Jamaal.

On a side note did anyone else see that comercial for the Pacer/Bucks game where they said "the expected return of Jamaal Tinsley"

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    He's impressed the bejeezus out of me - IOW, he's been better than I though he would ever be capable of being - and not by a little bit either.

Wow, that's saying a mouthful coming from you!

Then again, if Tinsley is going to be hobbled or playing at anything less than 100% I totally agree. He's not that effective when he's not healthy and right now AJ is in a groove. I think they should just continue to rest Tinsley for the rest of the season and just roll the dice on their playoff chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

He's not (yet) in Mel's league, however he is doing VERY well, one thing that proves however how much he improved is the fact that he is bettering all his career highs, specially consecutive ones
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    Wow what have you been drinking. Lets not go overboard here. He is doing an admirable job but he is no replacement for Jamaal.

On a side note did anyone else see that comercial for the Pacer/Bucks game where they said "the expected return of Jamaal Tinsley"
    I haven't yet sorted out how I think about that one.

But let's see. The last several games, AJ has played at a very high level. He's shooting well and scoring and he is, statistically speaking anyway, getting a decent number of assists. Acknowledging what you've posted in the past, I am in the other camp and believe AJ's defense to be significantly better that Tinsley's.

But I also acknowledge that our team makeup is different right now. The two are probably about equal in their abilities to distribute around the perimeter. But Jamal is significantly better at distributing into the post.

But without JO, we really don't have much of a post presence to distribute to. So if Jamal were back right now, and in light of the fact that he is both rusty and must be out of shape, I'd probably continue with AJ as the starter for the rest of the season.

As far as bringing the ball up the court, who says that it is the singular responsibility of the PG to get the ball across the line? Just recognize that as a weakness and give him some assistance. Not a big deal. That's why they call it a TEAM game.

AJ has been great lately, I've become comfortable with him in the game. If he could just play this way when he's backing up Tinsley, we'll be in a very nice position at the PG.

No, I didn't! Interesting. That's odd of them to slip that in there.

I picked him up on one of my fantasy teams, and he is now ABOVE Dan Dickau and Gary Payton in my rotation, and deservedly so based upon his last 5 or so games.

He has been a stunning surprise to me.

Harmonica

You're using UB-Ron-logic. Tins is of absolutely no use to anyone if he can't stay healthy or if he breaks down in critical playoff series.

pb777

I think that the team had to rush him back from his injury too fast, but they really had no choice since most of our players were injured or suspended. I used to cringe when he got the ball, but really, he was not yet conditioned or overr his injury at the time. It seems that now his game is becoming solid and consistant. I am extremely happy for him, and now I see why the Pacers gave him the deal last summer. He's a great backup to JT. Was it the Dallas game where he went 7/7fg? That was incredible!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AJ and Austin are two players that have really stepped their games up.

pb777

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica
    AJ and Austin are two players that have really stepped their games up.
    AJ yes - Austin I would say plays really really well as a starter but not off the bench.

Zesty

The last couple games I've seen I've been impressed at AJ's knack for knocking down big shots. The Spurs were making a bit of a run in the second half last night and he nailed those back-to-back threes to take some of the wind out of their sails. Good stuff.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I haven't yet sorted out how I think about that one.

But let's see. The last several games, AJ has played at a very high level. He's shooting well and scoring and he is, statistically speaking anyway, getting a decent number of assists. Acknowledging what you've posted in the past, I am in the other camp and believe AJ's defense to be significantly better that Tinsley's.
    I think thats because you just have not seen Jamaal in a while. AJ's D has gotten better lately it is not as good as Tinsley's I would consider him a lot closer now but still not in the same league. They play D in a different way so I could see (I am trying to be generous) how some people would think he is better but watch when Tins comes back and you will see.

But I also acknowledge that our team makeup is different right now. The two are probably about equal in their abilities to distribute around the perimeter. But Jamal is significantly better at distributing into the post.
    I dont buy that at all. They are in no way equal. AJ is doing a nice job right now but he is in no way anywhere near the same laugue as Jamaal. Once again I think this is a result of him being out too long.

But without JO, we really don't have much of a post presence to distribute to. So if Jamal were back right now, and in light of the fact that he is both rusty and must be out of shape, I'd probably continue with AJ as the starter for the rest of the season.
    Remember how good Harrison looked when Tinsley was feeding him in the post and how terrible he has looked since Tinsley went down? Tinsley will make our post presence better.

As far as bringing the ball up the court, who says that it is the singular responsibility of the PG to get the ball across the line? Just recognize that as a weakness and give him some assistance. Not a big deal. That's why they call it a TEAM game.
    I agree but Reggie is not a ball handler so you need to either have Freddie in the game or do what they have been doing a little more lately (and I think part of the reason AJ is looking better) is to have Jack bring it up. He is a lot better ball handler than AJ.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    You're using UB-Ron-logic. Tins is of absolutely no use to anyone if he can't stay healthy or if he breaks down in critical playoff series.
    Not at all I was responding to DK saying AJ should start "when Tinsley is back" Sure he is playing better than Tinsley when Tinsley is on the bench. A few weeks ago I might not have agrees with that but he is playing better.

Rag -

I don't think we are watching the same players at all.

I don't think you could get more than maybe 20-25% of the forum contributors, let alone players and coaches, who would actually agree that Tinsley is a better defensive player than AJ.

As for distributing on the perimeter, they ARE about the same. But then again, it doesn't take a greatly skilled player to distribute along the perimeter. I'm 52, and even I could distribute the ball along the perimeter. It doesn't take All-Star to penetrate 7-8 feet to entice a 2nd defender to take a step back, only to kick the ball to his man, who is then open for the shot.

Breaking down the defense by penetrating to create space for an interior player, that is a different matter. Any time AJ is able to do that, I would agree it is usually by dumb luck alone.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'll say this, even Travis could sometimes distribute the ball along the perimeter.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Here's a thought. AJ's trade value will be at an all-time high this off-season. Surely some GM has been watching the stats and games and thinks AJ could be the starting PG for his team for an entire season, and would be willing to give up draft picks or a quality backup SF for him. Then, we can draft a backup PG in this year's draft, which is said to be loaded with quality PGs.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have really liked AJ's play these past several games. I am very happy for him. I hope he keeps it up, even if we get back Tins. I'm very impressed with how clutch he is.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    Here's a thought. AJ's trade value will be at an all-time high this off-season. Surely some GM has been watching the stats and games and thinks AJ could be the starting PG for his team for an entire season, and would be willing to give up draft picks or a quality backup SF for him. Then, we can draft a backup PG in this year's draft, which is said to be loaded with quality PGs.
    Not bad, but you know, AJ doesn't really make that much. Around 2.5 Million, in fact. It will be hard to get a good spot for him, just in terms of financial value.

That, and with Jamaal's strong record of mid- to late-season injuries, having a backup PG that can start a few games isn't a bad idea.

IndyToad
    See reverse side for details