Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simons go to bat for Artest. A few myths are de-bunked

Default Re: Simons go to bat for Artest. A few myths are de-bunked

Jay, I can understand some of your cynicism but this is bit to X-File
    for me. Do you know cigarette man? : )
    I believe in this case it means basically what it means.
    Occam's razor should apply here. http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html

owl

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying they're trying to mislead people. I'm saying there out there spinning the story into whatever they want people to hear.
    That is a contradiction.

Donnie Walsh is one of the absolute masters of this. If I hadn't been following him for ninteen years ("I'm drafing Kenny Walker, I'm drafting Kenny Walker" ... "with the fourth pick in the 1986 draft, the Pacers select Chuck Person.") I might be less cynical.
    Lying about who you're going to draft to fool other NBA GMs isn't in the same universe as lying/spinning/misleading/whateverpetwording the public through the media on completely different topics.

And if that weren't enough, it should be, but I'm sure it's not, this is Herb Simon talking, not Donnie Walsh.

I've never seen the Simons say anything to anybody. I've heard "The Simons think this" or "the Simons think that" but I've never seen them make any statement in a news outlet. It's actually been used as a contrast to, say, Cuban.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

__________________________________________________ __________

I want to comment on this part. It almost seems that Stern gave the Pacers the impression that if Ron did certain things he would be reinstated, evidently Ron did those things and Stern did not reinstate him. Seems that is what has Herb Simons upset.
    I believe I have to agree with that scenario. That also still fits with some of the other speculation and theories that have been discussed in the past. If Stern gave them the impression that he'd revisit Artest's suspension then they probably assumed their history as good eggs in the NBA would carry some weight as long as Artest met his obligations. So with Artest in check and Reggie's impending retirement, they played that card (their history as good eggs) and were still rebuked. Not only could they consider that a slap in the face but working off of Stern's (supposed) behind the scenes talk of a potential reduction they might've wasted time and let some other avenues go untested (such as taking their argument public or to another level with other owners).

And with Stern's refusal to change Artest's suspension, the lack of penalties for the Pistons again bubbled to the top. Hence, Reggie's comments.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I hate his guts almost as much as the Pistons
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.