Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silas gets canned...

Default Silas gets canned...

Fox Sports just reported it on the radio.

I guess the "C U Next Tuesday" comment and having Lebron score 56 in a loss and the arguments with his point guards and yada yada yada finally got him the boot.

Default Re: Silas gets canned...

Wow.

Seriously? That would be a bad move on their part....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

This is surprising. The Cavs have struggled since the allstar break, but still.

But then again they have a new owner so maybe he did not like Silas.

I forget who the new owner really likes as a possible coach, but it is a big name. No it isn't Phil Jackson but I would expect to hear his name mentioned

Sports Logo

They are in the playoffs for the first time since the Czar and they fire the coach? They had better bring in a big name coach or they are going to crash and burn.

*Edit And they are going to bring in 1 and done Saunders? Wow

This is incredibly stupid on their part...unless they have some grand scheme which we don't know about. But it really is stupid.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by btownpacer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cleveland native Flip Saunders, who has experience coaching High School-to-Pro superstars is who you're thinking of....

Yes that is it.

Do I think Flip is a better coach than Paul. yes I do but only slightly. Not enough for me to make a change.

Maybe Lebron wanted Paul gone, he runs the franchise, whatever he ants within reason he'll get. I don't mean that in a bad way that is just the way it is especially with the Cavs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This is incredibly stupid on their part...unless they have some grand scheme which we don't know about. But it really is stupid.
    No it's not. Silas is WAY WAY WAY overrated as an NBA coach. If they get Flip watch the Cavs take off.

Maybe this will turn out to be the team that Larry Brown has always dreamt about coaching.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Jazz should can Sloan and hire Silas.

A new home for Phil Jackson?

He might see Lebron as interesting enough to get him all excited about returning. It makes a LOT more sense than Phil going to NY.

Add a good coach and a good PG to the mix and Cleveland has a bright future.

I've never viewed Silas as a great or even good game coach, but as an old school "take no crap" disciplinarian who at least makes players get serious about developing their games and being men.

Bad move, wait until the offseason at this point. They waited too long to do this.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I don't see Phil going to Cleveland.

He LOVES big cities and lives "the life" in them. Chicago and LA are 2 of the three biggest cities in the country. Guess which one's missing. So there's 3 options right there. I doubt he'll return to LA, though.

Other Possibilities (this is absolutley a wild stab):
    If Phoenix or Seattle or Houston tanks in the post-season, the coaches could be moved, And Phil loves the West coast and/or warm weather.

*edit - changed off-season to post-season, that's what I meant.

woman without a team

I do think it is stupid to fire him at this point in the season. I also think Silas is slowly losing his mind. Between going ape on Eric Snow and the C U thing with Boser I don't think that much of him anymore.

As for their next coach I don't see it being Phil Jackson. Right now Lebron is the only player they have. Phil's teams have always had more than one good player. I'd agree with LA about Phil's lifestyle if it weren't for the fact that in the off season he lives in Montana.

All I know is if Chicago doesn't hurry up and pick up Scott Skiles' extension he's going to be offered one of these other jobs and Chicago will be in a world of hurt all over again.

Well, IMO, the Cavs have one of the two things Phil needs to coach - the best player in the league. (OK, that's not exactly true, but already coached Shaq.) All they need is another top 5 player and he's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Well, IMO, the Cavs have one of the two things Phil needs to coach - the best player in the league. (OK, that's not exactly true, but already coached Shaq.) All they need is another top 5 player and he's there.
    I saw your name on this thread and I thought for sure it was going to be an "I thought it said Paul Silas gets caned" post.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I saw your name on this thread and I thought for sure it was going to be an "I thought it said Paul Silas gets caned" post.........
    I saw your name and expected a picture of Paul Silas getting caned...

No, that is not a request. :-)

Silas is a good coach IMO, but you factor the new owner wanting someone else and Paul's recent screwball behavior, and I'm not surprised.

However, it should be noted that Brendan Malone has been named in the interim. Because of this fact alone, I'll say right now that Cleveland is not making the playoffs.

In regards to name dropping, I heard the new owner was high on Scott Skiles since they went to State together, not Flip Saunders. Factor in Orlando admitting they should have hired Skiles to begin with, and Chicago is looking really stupid in not extending him yet.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I read on the train this morning that Sam Smith thinks Skiles (1) is going to be a Larry Brown style coach - burning bridges, not staying any one place very long, and (2) Orlando is going to be working hard to woo him this summer.

No link, but I'm sure its on the Tribune's website. It also contained a bunch of usually worthless Sam Smith banter.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

First Nelson, then Silas - busy day ...

Silas does better with veteran teams than a kiddie corps. Was suprised when he took the cavs job in the first place.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tim

So long as the Cavs don't cost us Mike Brown.

Chad Ford has a pretty good article up on ESPInsider about this. Yes, I said Chad "The Idiot" Ford! I can post it if anybody wants.

Ok, I will.
    From http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2018425

Monday, March 21, 2005
    Cavs shake-up already in motion
    By Chad Ford
    ESPN Insider

The public hand-wringing Monday in Cleveland had everything to do with the Cavaliers' making the playoffs this year. The short term. The next 18 games.

The private hand-wringing was of a different nature entirely, encompassing the long-term future of the franchise. More precisely, how does new owner Dan Gilbert keep LeBron James in Cleveland?

Monday, we got our first glimpse into Gilbert's plan of attack on both issues.

The Cavs had lost nine of their last 12 and appeared to be fading fast. Monday, the team fired head coach Paul Silas, citing concerns the team is in danger of slipping out of the playoffs.

"We felt we have a deep roster, and we believe in our players," GM Jim Paxson said at a news conference announcing the firing. "That progress wasn't being made. We felt if we didn't make this decision, we jeopardize our chances of being a playoff team."

Cleveland is the second team in a week to fire its head coach the Orlando Magic dismissed Johnny Davis on March 17 despite massive improvements over the course of the season. Two seasons ago, the Cavs were the worst team in the NBA. Last year they won 35 games. This year, they already are at 34 victories, and according to Insider's projections are on course to win 43.

Despite the optimism surrounding LeBron, the team has issues.

Of all of the playoff contenders in the East, the Cavs currently sport the worst road record, having won just 10 games away from home all season. Of those 10 road victories, seven came against the worst five teams in the league the Atlanta Hawks (two), Charlotte Bobcats (two), Utah Jazz, Portland Trail Blazers and Golden State Warriors. The three other road wins against the Boston Celtics, Denver Nuggets and Memphis Grizzlies all came when those opponents had losing records. In other words, the Cavaliers haven't beaten one good team on the road this season.

The team's woes go beyond its play on the road.

The Cavs also are sputtering at the point right now. Last season, Jeff McInnis' injury pushed them out of contention. This year, it has been his defensive lapses and poor shooting. In Sunday's loss to the Toronto Raptors, Silas benched McInnis for the entire game, causing a major stir. It might have been the straw that broke the camel's back in Cleveland. With the Cavs fighting for their playoff lives, Silas' refusal to play McInnis in a critical game clearly was frustrating to Paxson and Gilbert.

To make matters worse, Zydrunas Ilgauskas also is slowing down. After a red-hot start this season, he is shooting just 41 percent from the field in March.

And none of the Cavs' swing guys Jiri Welsch, Ira Newble and Sasha Pavlovic is bringing anything to the table right now. Silas also was reluctant to play Anderson Varejao despite the rookie's fantastic rebounding numbers in the limited minutes he has seen.

That, too, was a major issue for Paxson and Gilbert. After trading this summer for Pavlovic and Varejao, then acquiring Welsch at the trade deadline, management wanted Silas to incorporate them in the rotation.

Silas' refusal to budge on the issue may have been his ultimate undoing.

"There was no consistent rotation or substitution pattern," Paxson said. "Both Dan and I encouraged Paul to do different things with the rotation. ... Philosophically, we didn't see quite the same way in what was happening."

With Silas refusing to play many of the younger players, LeBron and, to a lesser extent, Drew Gooden were forced to shoulder most of the offensive load. As LeBron proved Sunday, even a 56-point effort wasn't enough.

"There was too much of a burden on LeBron," Paxson said. "LeBron is a passer first. Teams adjusted to make him a shooter. We weren't able to readjust."

The stats bear out Paxson's point. In 15 December games, LeBron averaged 18.5 shot attempts and 8.1 assists per game and handed out 7.1 assists. In nine March games so far, he is taking 22.4 shots and handing out only 5.7 assists.

Despite the extra burden on James, Gilbert was adamant that LeBron had nothing to do with Silas' firing.

"LeBron James didn't play any role in this decision," Gilbert said. "Absolutely zero, nothing."

While that might technically be true both Gilbert and Paxson said James wasn't consulted about the decision until after it had been made the decision to ax Silas has everything to do with LeBron.

It's probably the first of many changes you're going to see in Cleveland over the next few months.

Gilbert, who bought the franchise for $375 million several weeks ago, is scared James might bolt the team when he becomes a free agent after the 2006-07 season.

The minute Gilbert took over, the clock started ticking. He has roughly two years to create a world-class organization that can persuade LeBron to sign a long-term contract.

With the length of contracts likely to be shortened, along with raises, by a new collective bargaining agreement, the Cavs' advantages in keeping LeBron are likely to get slimmer. As Insider first reported months ago, James has lucrative kickers in his endorsement contracts should he move to New York, Chicago or L.A.

Persuading LeBron to stick it out in Cleveland will be a monumental task. The Cavs not only have to make the right choices in free agency this summer, they also have to find the right coach and upgrade almost every area of the organization.

That means interim head coach Brendan Malone won't last long. The Cavs already have their eye on former Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders. However, Saunders also will get plenty of attention from the Blazers, Knicks and Pistons (should Larry Brown retire), so it's not a slam dunk Cleveland will be able to get him.

Phil Jackson might be another possibility for Gilbert. In his effort to give the Cavs a "world-class" reputation, he might be willing to outbid Jackson's other suitors, selling Jackson on coaching the next "MJ."

There also is speculation Gilbert plans to shake up the Cavs' front office this summer. When asked specifically Monday about Paxson's future, Gilbert was elusive.

"We're focused on this year," Gilbert said. "We'll see how things go. We're going to look at everyone in the organization and make an evaluation on everyone."

Forgive Gilbert if he's not confident Paxson is the right guy. Not only has Paxson made some egregious errors in the draft and free agency over the years, he doesn't have the freewheeling, entrepreneurial personality Gilbert values.

Gilbert will want a new head coach and management team in place by July 1 to take full advantage of the Cavs' strong position in free agency.

As it stands, the team could have as much as $22 million in cap space this summer. Some of that likely will go toward re-signing Ilgauskas. However, expect Gilbert to be careful with those negotiations. Right now, Ilgauskas is asking for a salary in the $12 million area. Given his age, past health problems and his dwindling production this season, that's too much.

The team has a number of other priorities it must address, too. The Cavs need a point guard to replace McInnis (who also is in the last year of his deal), an athletic shot blocker in the paint and a sharpshooter.

The team could target such players as Michael Redd, Samuel Dalembert, Joe Johnson, Vladimir Radmanovic, Marko Jaric, Earl Watson and Bobby Simmons in the summer in an effort to get deeper, more athletic and to plug some major holes.

That's a lot for any NBA owner to swallow, let alone a rookie owner who claims to know little about the NBA.

Unfortunately for Gilbert, they don't have much choice but to act swiftly.

"We are going to have the courage to come to conclusions," Gilbert said Monday. "We're business people; that's what we do."

With the clock already ticking, courage and conclusions better come in large supply. The organization can't give LeBron an excuse to opt out.

"The way [LeBron] stays is if the organization is a winning organization," Gilbert said.

That process began in earnest on Monday.

Chad Ford covers the NBA draft for ESPN Insider.

Second team to fire their head coach? What is he smoking....*cough* Dallas *cough*