Thread: Love Bruno's QoD today: Lose Intentionally to Bump Our Lottery Pick?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Love Bruno's QoD today: Lose Intentionally to Bump Our Lottery Pick?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050317.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Q. We know it is likely that Jermaine O'Neal may miss the rest of the entire season. Coupled with Ron Artest's suspension and Jonathan Bender's injuries, what are the chances of the Pacers reaching the playoffs and the targeted sixth position? Will the team consider foregoing the playoffs and aim to get a better draft pick and plan for greater things next year instead? (From Pang in Singapore)

A. This has become a popular question as the number of fans who have lost hope for this season grows. It's an understandable sentiment but hardly practical or realistic. The remaining healthy players have fought their way into playoff position and have earned the opportunity to see just how far they can go. They aren't championship contenders without O'Neal and Artest, but that doesn't mean there isn't something to be gained from this season other than slightly more favorable draft position.

Considering the adversity this team has faced, reaching the playoffs would be a major achievement. Winning a series would a monumental accomplishment. Those are goals worth pursuing. Besides, there really is little incentive for any team that has a legitimate playoff shot to tank the rest of the season in hopes of landing a high draft pick. Because the NBA Draft Lottery is a heavily weighted system, there is only a microscopic chance they'd wind up with a top-three pick; odds are, they'd wind up moving up one or two spots, at best. That's hardly worth the sacrifice of a season.
    Here is the REAL Question:
    Q: Is there a greater sin in the world of sports than intentionally losing games for gain in other areas?
    A: A big, fat, freaking NO.

Default Re: Love Bruno's QoD today: Lose Intentionally to Bump Our Lottery Pick?

Some of us have already expressed the same view as Brunner.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Love Bruno's QoD today: Lose Intentionally to Bump Our Lottery Pick?

You do not lose intentionally. Besides, I do believe it would be an accomplishment to make the playoffs after this season from the ninth circle of Hell.

On a side note, I can't believe the questioner mentioned the injury to Bender but didn't mention Tinsley's injury. Gee, I wonder which is more important to the Pacers at this point?
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"You play.... to win.... the game!"

--Herm Edwards, NY Jets coach

Don't we have a bad enough reputation anyway?