Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USMNT (Soccer) Thread

Default Re: USMNT (Soccer) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dempsey won't be suspended for Gold Cup. But I'm not sure he shouldn't be feeling heat from the younger guys on the roster regardless. Highly doubt any of them usurp his spot yet, but he's not the untouchable he once was.
    He was given a 3 game suspension, so he's good for the Gold Cup.

Mexico sucks
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Of course, now Costa Rica sucking.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm considering going down to Nashville for the Guatemala game on Friday. I'm very excited for the Gold Cup, even though I hated the roster we called up.

Yeah not a fan of that roster. Played it too safe, and some of those called up are real headscratchers. Wondo, seriously?

I get the roster strategy; it's a win-now roster for a tourney the US really needs to win, and should win by all rights. But I'm with you guys on, like, 4-5 roster spots in particular. I don't mind the starting XI being who they're largely projected to be, but I would love to see more youth options off the bench who might actually play a role in 2016-2018. Guys like Zelalem, Wood, Rubin, Morris etc. will actually be good candidate to contribute those years. Guys like Wondo and Brad Davis will not be. That's what irks me mostly.

But I get the larger philosophy, and I expect the US to win. If they do, it should set in motion a really good multi-year stretch of competition leading up with WC 2018.

Bought my tickets! I'm psyched.

Since we already won the last gold cup, winning this would get us straight access for the 2017 confed cup, which is the best case scenario for WC prep

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

they just gonna leave this German girl in?

Great win for the USWNT, hope they can finish it off

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Great win for the USWNT, hope they can finish it off
    I want Japan. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the last WWC.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I want Japan. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the last WWC.
    We do have a pretty good track record when we put our full focus on Japan after finishing off Germany.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We do have a pretty good track record when we put our full focus on Japan after finishing off Germany.

Short story time: My rather strange cousin has this weird infatuation with Japan. He's American, has no Japanese heritage, and has only been to the country twice. Last WWC he gloated after Japan beat the US in the Finals and I was floored at what an unpatriotic little **** he was. So the other day after Japan reached the semis I texted him and said, "I hope the US and Japan meet in the Finals again so we can go Nagasaki on their asses" and he told me I was classless, that he was deeply offended, and such things weren't funny.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

if we play England they GOTTA move the game to Saturday right?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Kind of annoying me that they are saying the US got the lucky breaks yesterday. Germany should have been playing a player down like in the 38th minute but a suspicious no card went their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Kind of annoying me that they are saying the US got the lucky breaks yesterday. Germany should have been playing a player down like in the 38th minute but a suspicious no card went their way.
    Let's be for real: We got some breaks. We played better and were the better team, but we definitely got some breaks. Johnston's takedown in the box should've been a red card and we should have been playing a woman down the rest of the match, not to mention the Golden Boot winner of this WWC missed a freaking PK, the first time the German women had ever done that in a WWC. Alex Morgan was outside the penalty box when that card came, her momentum just carried her like 5 yards deep into it, so we really shouldn't have gotten a PK there. We deserved to win, but we caught some breaks. It's sports, they happen.

Oh I am not saying we didn't catch some breaks. But they are acting like we got all of them. If Germany is playing with 10 people they probably wouldn't have even been able to make that run that resulted in the PK they got

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    Oh I am not saying we didn't catch some breaks. But they are acting like we got all of them. If Germany is playing with 10 people they probably wouldn't have even been able to make that run that resulted in the PK they got
    We didn't get gifted a spot in the final like our friends from Japan did, that's for sure. I hope we destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    We didn't get gifted a spot in the final like our friends from Japan did, that's for sure. I hope we destroy them.
    Yeah I couldn't watch the game but they were so close to extra time I really wish that would have happened. But if we play like we did against Germany I think we will be fine.

Feel really bad for the player who had the OG, that has got to be the worst feeling in the world

USMNT vs Guatamala on FS1 in about 50 minutes.

A different match than the European ones, with a more defensive and organized back line, which is good prep for the rest of CONCACAF

DeAndre Yedlin is starting which I love, he's probably my favorite player on the national team. His speed is terrifying.

We look terrible. Can't say I'm surprised with the lineup he has

Eh coulda been worse, but a poor way to end the half. Zusi is terrible.