Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USMNT (Soccer) Thread

Default Re: USMNT (Soccer) Thread

One thing that disappoints me: Klinsmann sits here bashing MLS at any/every opportunity, while...

A) His best players -- Bradley and Altidore -- are in the MLS, and

B) His Euro darlings pretty much suck. Chandler, Brooks. Green is MIA.

I really do think Klinsmann is good for the future of US soccer, but his rhetoric gets old. He would rather invest in crappy Euro players than decent MLS players.

A few observations from this match...

1. Brooks sucked. I mean, SUCKED. This guy has displayed nothing since the World Cup to indicate he should be in the conversation for '18.

2. Chandler sucked too. I don't get this program's patience with Chandler. Maybe they want to try him at RM or something at some point, I guess. But he's not a RB. No way in hell.

3. I'm bummed Michael Bradley had such an awful World Cup, because outside of that run, he has been brilliant for the last 4 years now. He just sees and does things that are a step beyond what the rest of the USMNT pool is capable of.

4. I actually really like Zardes myself, but this program is always too full of guys like Zardes -- guys that flash potential in a match or two but leave you wanting for more more often than not -- and not stocked with enough reliable talent. I get tired of there being a new Zardes every six months. I want one Zardes to make it through a full cycle.

5. There is nothing positive to say about the state of USMNT defending. However, I thought this was the best technical display the Yanks have showed in first touch receiving and first touch under pressure in a while. It wasn't consistent throughout, and that field was ATROCIOUS (there shouldn't have ever been an int'l friendly played on that surface...), but I know enough about the game to see the strides these guys are making in starting to more consistently corral the ball and string together that next positive decision.

Default Re: USMNT Thread

USA wins 2-0 over Mexico tonight. Goals from Jordan Morris and Juan Agudelo.

Default Re: USMNT Thread

I hope to see more of Juan Agudelo in the near future, he has a ton of potential and looked really good tonight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

#dosacero

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see the Gold Cup squad shaping up now.

GK: Guzan, Rimando, Hamid
    DF: Garza, Shea, Gonzalez, Besler, Brooks, Jones, Yedlin, Johnson
    MF: Bradley, Diskerud, Beckerman, Nguyen, Bedoya, Green, Ibarra, Zusi
    FW: Altidore, Dempsey, Johannsson, Morris

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see the Gold Cup squad shaping up now.

GK: Guzan, Rimando, Hamid
    DF: Garza, Shea, Gonzalez, Besler, Brooks, Jones, Yedlin, Johnson
    MF: Bradley, Diskerud, Beckerman, Nguyen, Bedoya, Green, Ibarra, Zusi
    FW: Altidore, Dempsey, Johannsson, Morris
    Morris over Agudelo?

Some random thoughts from me after y'day...

1. Try watching a match with the sound off if you haven't. You'll come away with your own, radically-different opinion of the match that isn't shaped by (usually poor) analysts.

2. DeAndre Yedlin has insane speed. His game is really growing. He could stand to add something to that frame, though. Gets muscled off the ball way too easily. But man, his tactical awareness is increasing, and he has as much recovery speed as anyone in the game.

3. I don't really know what to make of Michael Bradley's match. He's still a four-star general type, and always in the right spots, usually makes the right decisions. But his touch and accuracy yesterday seemed...off. And really, it has for a while. He can see the game better than anyone else on the squad, but his final action on the ball has let him down more often than not for long enough to where I'm now concerned.

4. My stock is way down on Gyasi Zardes. He just doesn't really do anything in the match. You can't have a striker who does nothing. Rather see Agudelo in his spot going forward.

5. Jordan Morris is intriguing. His Stanford decision still doesn't really make sense to me, but he has speed for days and plays balls-out. I love his aggression. His ball skills still need a ton of work, but he's a pitbull type, and those are always useful.

6. My interesting paradox will always be Kyle Beckerman. I was really down on Beckerman for most of last cycle. I never thought there was a chance in hell he'd play, let alone start, in the World Cup. Just too limited in what he can do, not a forward-minded player, etc. Lo and behold, not only does he start...he's one of the most consistent players. Fast forward to now. His game still underwhelms me, and his skill is starting to decline a bit with age. BUT his skillSET is kind of critical to how Klinsmann wants this squad to play. So I never know what to think of him, in truth.

7. I'm always underwhelmed by Joe Corona and Alejandro Bedoya. Both always decline as the match continues, and there are more intriguing players in the pool who I think should be seeing some time over them.

8. Really curious to see what happens at the GK spot for this team. I'm not a huge fan of Nick Rimando. I think he's entirely average and overconfident in his feet. Yarborough intrigues, but hasn't really been put in the fire yet. You'd almost think Tim Howard has top claim just out of respect to what he's done alone, but the reality is he's been on the decline for his club, and the last player to take a break from the national squad didn't exactly ease his way back in... Then you have Brad Guzan, who again hasn't exactly been on top form with his club. Look -- the USMNT produces world-class GKs in the international game, every cycle, for whatever reason. So there's probably not exactly reason for concern. But this is still the most uncertainty I've seen with this group in a while.

9. How about Mix Diskeruud? I love that guy's game. He'll never be world-class, but he has a golden touch the other players don't seem to have, and really navigates the pitch well to find the action. He really did well chasing back to intercept and advance yesterday, too ... usually a weakness of him. I think Mix is a strong bet to be in the starting XI for most of this upcoming cycle.

Speaking of which, I think the top/ideal XI for most of this cycle is...

GK - Tim Howard
    LB - Brek Shea
    LCB - Ventura Alvaredo
    RCB - Omar Gonzalez
    RB - DeAndre Yedlin
    LM - Fabian Johnson
    CM - Mix Diskeruud or Geoff Cameron
    CM - Michael Bradley
    RM - Alejandro Bedoya
    ST - Clint Dempsey
    ST - Jozy Altidore

- Alvaredo is a gut feeling, nothing else. More than likely, that's Matt Besler. But I feel like that's a call-up and cap-tie that sticks.

- I think Shea sits in at that LB spot because he's a Klinsmann darling, and because he's actually looked to be in pretty good form at that position. Whether it's Shea, Johnson, whoever, Klinsmann just wants someone with pace who can join the attack, which Shea can and will.

- I think you basically just alternate Diskerud and Cameron depending on what you're looking for, strategy-wise. If it's more of a "close down passing lanes" game, you start Cameron. If it's more of a "strike early and make creative decisions on the advance" game, you start Diskerud. I don't see Cameron as a CB in this cycle.

- The one I was most underwhelmed about slotting in was Bedoya, but I didn't see anyone who was a more realistic fit. I keep waiting for Danny Williams or Julian Green to actually put together some form to show they deserve it instead, but...

- I'm not entirely confident in Dempsey at that spot given his age and how his form tends to fluctuate. But it would be hard to confidently offer anyone better in forecasting that roster, too.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I think Alexi Lalas mentioned this last night but I completely agree with him that Bradley is better in a deeper role than what Klinsmann has him. It allows him to survey the field better and utilize the skills he has that are world class.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I think Alexi Lalas mentioned this last night but I completely agree with him that Bradley is better in a deeper role than what Klinsmann has him. It allows him to survey the field better and utilize the skills he has that are world class.
    Absolutely. He's a 6, not an 8.

Not necessarily much to do with the actual national team, but Fabian Johnson and his club Borussia Monchengladbach have qualified for the UEFA Champions League.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Not necessarily much to do with the actual national team, but Fabian Johnson and his club Borussia Monchengladbach have qualified for the UEFA Champions League.
    Hey, anything that gets these guys playing vs the competition they'll actually see at real big international tournaments is good.

Gedion Zelalem has been fully cleared by FIFA to play for the U.S. and will be playing for the U.S. U-20 team at this summer's world cup!

Altidore was hurt today.

Goals from the U-20 friendly against U-20 Australia. Sonora, who scored the 1st goal, has been a pretty big prospect in YNT circles for the past couple of years, and it's pretty easy to see why. There is incredible talent in the American system right now. A lot of guys didn't make the cut for this team, but they should be nice players. Cameron Carter-Vickers and Matt Miagazi honestly could be the centerback pairing in 2018.

We should perform pretty well at the U20 World Cup.

Good stretch for U.S. soccer recently, in the first knockout game of the U20 world cup, the U.S. beat Colombia 1-0 behind a goal from highly touted prospect Rubio Rubin, and on the senior side, the U.S. capped off a VERY impressive European tour by beating the Netherlands 4-3, and then defending champions Germany 2-1....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Good stretch for U.S. soccer recently, in the first knockout game of the U20 world cup, the U.S. beat Colombia 1-0 behind a goal from highly touted prospect Rubio Rubin, and on the senior side, the U.S. capped off a VERY impressive European tour by beating the Netherlands 4-3, and then defending champions Germany 2-1....
    Also, I think I just paid $30 to join the American Outlaws. No regrets.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Michael Bradley's cross to Mix yesterday got me pregnant.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Michael Bradley's cross to Mix yesterday got me pregnant.
    Bradley was insanely good in both of the friendlies. Best player on the field, which is saying something considering who we were playing.

Bradley was even able to get a couple shots off, which is an improvement over the WC.

Aside from picking solely on Bradley, it was nice to see some shots outside of the 18yd line. I think they only had the ball like 36% of the time yesterday, and still was pretty equal on shots and shots on target.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

I think what helped Bradley vs the World Cup was that he spent too much time last year trying to play the entire field as he was adjusting to player high up the formation. I think the past few games he's finally settling in and allowing his defense (aka Beckerman who was terrific) to cover behind him.

I'll say this: while these were terrific results, our back line is something horrid. Outside of Besler (and maybe Gonzalez/Cameron) I have no confidence in them. Brooks and Alvarado had poor spacing and marking, and how Chandler continues to get minutes baffles me. I would much rather have Fabian play on one flank with Yedlin on the other, but we have no RB/LB that we can trust either. We need more people in the pool to play the back line
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I think what helped Bradley vs the World Cup was that he spent too much time last year trying to play the entire field as he was adjusting to player high up the formation. I think the past few games he's finally settling in and allowing his defense (aka Beckerman who was terrific) to cover behind him.

I'll say this: while these were terrific results, our back line is something horrid. Outside of Besler (and maybe Gonzalez/Cameron) I have no confidence in them. Brooks and Alvarado had poor spacing and marking, and how Chandler continues to get minutes baffles me. I would much rather have Fabian play on one flank with Yedlin on the other, but we have no RB/LB that we can trust either. We need more people in the pool to play the back line
    Defense was horrible versus Netherlands, but I thought Brooks and Chandler each were pretty good versus Germany. Brooks is young and he's going to improve and he gets a good test each week playing against Bundesliga competition.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

So Dempsey could be suspended for the Gold Cup. Apparently he took the ref's card and ripped it up last night in U.S. Open Cup play which is by rule, a minimum 3 month suspension... That seems excessive but I don't know the ins and outs of the USSF's rules.

I won't cry over it, we have enough attacking options. But he's an idiot if that's true.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Dempsey won't be suspended for Gold Cup. But I'm not sure he shouldn't be feeling heat from the younger guys on the roster regardless. Highly doubt any of them usurp his spot yet, but he's not the untouchable he once was.