Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

(Honorary) Area 55 Family Invades the Target Center!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Honorary) Area 55 Family Invades the Target Center!

Hey all.

So although we already have a postgame thread for the Pacers victory over the Wolves, as an out-of-stater I only get to attend 1 game a year max. So dangit, I'm posting about my night watching the Pacers at Target Center. I mean, Peck always gets away with it, why not me?

So similarly to my awesome Staples Center game I attended a couple years ago (Link to blog post on Pacers.com in my signature), tonight was the first Pacers game for my youngest daughter, who just turned two months old. Her older sisters were with the Grandparents, and my wife and I received some REALLY great tickets for the game from my mother-in-law (she knows me so well) - so this was a much needed and amazingly fun date night for us cheering on the Blue & Gold.

We arrived about an hour early and were greeted by seeing Paul George out on the court taking warmup and putting up some shots like they've been showing on FSIndiana recently. As I remarked in the game thread, he had one sequence where he hit 10 straight 3's from the left elbow and he was getting remarkable lift on his shot for someone who had just recently broken a leg. Not "full lift" jumpers, of course, but definitely not a patented Hibbert/West flatfooted set-shot either.

It was a treat getting to see PG at least moving around and active before the game, and George Hill as well. Don't be surprised if we see George on Tuesday, but it's not a certainty either. I heard it on pretty reliable authority that George will probably be looking to play 5-7 minutes a half once he returns. Of course, the medical staff could alter that plan at any time.

One other fun little anecdote from PG and GH shooting around pre-game was that since they were the only two players from either team on the court that early on, basically everyone that arrived at the arena early was watching just them. When they had put up enough shots and were going to head back into the locker room, they decided to have a little half-court shot contest before hitting the showers. They each missed about 4 apiece, and then sort of gave each other this "Ok, let's stop screwing around and finish this" look.

PG drills a half court 3.

A second later George nails another half courter.

The Target Center early arrivers Ooooohhhh'd and Ahhhhhh'd and cheered, and the G2 zone faded back into the locker room. It was a fun little moment, I was glad to see it live.

Now, we were sitting in section 113, directly opposite the Pacers bench. In the third row. So they were by far the best seats I had ever had at a Pacers game (Thanks, Mother-in-law!). So as opposed to every other game I've attended, I definitely had the sense that when I was cheering/chanting/yelling things in the direction of the court, the players heard me pretty darn clearly.

This was evidenced as early as the pre-game intros. As David West was announced I yelled Grady's good old "He's a baaaaaddddd man!" as loudly as I could. David, clearly taken a little bit by surprise, looked up in the crowd to see a tall white dude in a golden "Blue Collar, Gold Swagger" shirt giving him his usual Grady intro. My wife and I both looked at each other and laughed a bit because it was really obvious that he had smirked looking directly over at us. Same thing when I gave my loudest "Hib, Hib, HOOROY!" when they announced 55. A few glances and smiles from the Pacers bench area at seeing this random crazy person going insane during PREGAME on the road. Needless to say, the sea (or at least 1 of their alleged 10,000 lakes) of Timberwolves fans around me already sensed that they were not going to enjoy sitting in my section. More on that soon.

So the intros ended, and the poor girl singing the National Anthem had to restart after "Oh say can you..." because the guitar player accompanying her had apparently never heard the song before. I felt bad for her, she had a nice voice. But my goodness did he screw up the tempo and melody of the song.

Anyway...

The game started and we got off a decent start. Solo was frustrating me with his flurry of early turnovers, but we managed to get a rhythm and put some points up while the Wolves couldn't hit ANY of their alleged 10,000 lakes from an a boat. But slowly they crept back. While our defense was pretty solid tonight, Roy especially, we did surrender a couple (in the first half) mini runs that kept the game somewhat respectable. But CJ Miles really came through when we needed clutch buckets almost every single time. He was fantastic out there tonight. As was Roy in the first half (minus that lane bunny he should have dunked). But one of our best players out there early on was Luis Scola.

Now, everyone here knows that I have always liked Luis. Ever since his "Going Farder" quote when we traded for him, I've just flat out liked the guy. Always wanted to see him succeed here. So when he got hot in the second quarter, you had BETTER believe that I was yelling the Grady-esque "LUUUUIIISSSSSSSSCCCOOOLLLAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" at the top of my lungs. This, along with the constant clapping at positive Pacer plays and top of my lungs "Good D, Blue" "Good take, CJ!" etc, etc. was really starting to annoy a few of the folks around me. You could tell they had little interest in really going out of their way to cheer for the Wolves, they just wanted a nice, quiet Sunday evening... Sorry guys, not my style.

See I am not the type of fan to go to a game and try to heckle the opposition. I just want to cheer like hell for the Pacers. And a few of the Wolves fans around me didn't seem to enjoy that too much.

The guy sitting directly in front of me eventually had enough after the 2nd or 3rd "LUUUIIISSSSSSCCOOLLLAAAAAAAA!!!" and constant clapping that he had to turn to me and say in the most douchey way possible, half drunk: "HEY! I THINK THEY HEARD YOU MAN!" and then look around in all directions seeking the affirmations of all the other Wolves fans at having put the annoying "Pacers guy" in his place.

Instead, I simply replied to him in a loud, but not at all yelling voice "Hey man, you're free to cheer for YOUR team any time you want!"

He stopped talking after that.

Although he did make a habit of constantly raising his hands over his head (in an attempt to obstruct my view) and make overly exagerated claps every time the Wolves made a basket during their 2nd half comeback. Making sure to nudge his friend beside him and laugh every time, somehow thinking he was "besting me". All the while I was (While still seeing the game perfectly fine) cheering the exact same way I had been all night long. At a certain point I think they just gave up and accepted that I wasn't going to stop. Score one for the good guys! I like to think I earned my honorary Area 55 membership last night.

Oh by the way, he left the game without a word or a glance with over a minute left... Drive safe, drunk douche!

So the game went on, and the third quarter happened. It was not one of the more enjoyable parts of the evening, so let's just skip that.

Then the majority of the fourth quarter happened. It also was not one of the more enjoyable parts of the evening, so we can move on from that too.

All in all, I would surmise that the second half of this game took about a year off of my life expectancy.

But we gutted it out, and despite falling behind on a couple occasions, David West came up with a clutch bucket and CJ Miles hit another HUGE 3 as well as a few foul shots, and we were able to put them away. But not before my man Luis missed a PAIR in the final seconds, forcing another few months off my life expectancy. Fortunately we were able to get it in bounds and not give the Wolves a chance to tie or win.

After the buzzer sounded I quickly headed over to the Pacers tunnel to cheer them on one last time as they headed back to the locker room. Luis and Donald Sloan were among the last to leave the floor, and by that time most of the fans had cleared out, so I was standing there in my Pacers gear mostly by myself. Donald noticed the shirt and he gave me a smile and a nod as I congratulated him on a solid game. PG and GHill also hung around the tunnel for a few moments, enough for me to wish them both well with their respective injuries and let them know we're all pulling for them in Pacer Nation.

Once the players had all cleared out I thought I would see if I could go sneak over by the TV table and try to say hi to Chris, Quinn and Jeremiah. By the time I got there Chris and Quinn were finishing their final post-game remarks. Chris and I are friends on Facebook, and chat occasionally on Twitter and social media, but I wouldn't have by any stretch expected him to recognize or remember me. I thought surely he just accepts friend requests from big fans to be a classy guy. But when I got up there and called out "Chris!" he looked up to me and instantly says "Hey there! Tyler, you made it!"

See I had told him via Twitter last night that I would be at the game and was hoping to get a chance to say hello. He immediately walked up 5 or 6 rows into the stands and gives me a handshake and we proceed to chat about the Pacers and our families for about 15 minutes.

Turns out Chris remembered me quite well. Well enough, in fact, that he said to me "Now I am a little confused, because I though you lived in California... So I thought it was strange that you were saying you were going to be at the Minnesota game" -- I was a little stunned, honestly. Apparently he followed me much more closely than I realized. I explained that I had indeed lived in CA until recently, but had just moved to Northwestern Wisconsin and the Wolves were now my "Go to game" every year.

He even recognized my wife (From Facebook pictures and such, no doubt) and spoke with her like they were old friends as well. We talked about my youngest daughter, about how my eldest daughter had gotten a chance to come with us to a Lakers game a couple years ago (Link in Sig) and he was telling us about his sons and Christmas plans and all sorts of stuff. He treated us like we were well acquainted friends who were just catching up after losing contact for a few months. I've always been a huge fan of Chris and Quinn, but getting to meet and speak with him just cemented in my mind what a great asset he is to the Pacers. Not only is he great at his job, but he made me and my wife feel like a part of the official Pacers family last night, and for me that was truly special. I could tell it meant a lot to him knowing that I watched him each and every game night and was appreciative of his work and just wanted to meet him to say thanks. My only regret about this encounter was that Quinn had already left by this point, as well as Mark Boyle. It would have been lovely to have a moment to chat and shake their hands as well.

And that was that. Aside from getting lost in the parking structure for about 20 minutes and being unable to find our car, our awesome night had come to a close

I will end this post with the text of a message Chris posted on his Facebook account, re-sharing the set of Photos myself and my wife took with him after I posted them and tagged his account:

"Great to meet Tyler and his wife and daughter in person. Has only been to Indiana a few times and is a huge Pacers fan. Tyler, when you and the family make across trip to Indiana for a game sometime, tickets on me."

Great night, awesome memories, a really humbling encounter with a Pacers staffer I greatly admire and most importantly: A Pacers WIN!

Merry Christmas, indeed!

TL;DR - I went to the game, it was awesome, I pissed off Wolves fans because I cheered so loud, I met Chris Denari.

Re: (Honorary) Area 55 Family Invades the Target Center!

Thanks for the post and fun read. We couldn't make the game this year due to holiday obligations but was great to see a Pacer victory.

Comment

Originally posted by TMJ31 View Post
      Aside from getting lost in the parking structure for about 20 minutes and being unable to find our car, our awesome night had come to a close
      Well it wouldn't have been Area 55 without some mass confusion. Good read, glad you got to enjoy a win!

Comment

Glad you had a great time Tyler; and that the Pacers won. Sounds like you act like my son ( a former G2 Zone, Pacer Warrior.) Cheering loudly on enemy ground he now lives in Austin, Tx. and ventures to games in San Antonio ( where the fans treat him well) even as he cheers in Pacer attire; Dallas and Houston.

I found it very cool you thanked your mother-in-law publicly twice for getting you and you wife great tickets. Keep up the great work as a loyal Pacer fan away
        from Indiana. My best wishes for a great holiday season for you and yours.

Comment

great post, we need more of these form our road fans!

Side note my son is a giant nerd like his father so Andrew Wiggins is automatically his favorite player. I got us spectacular tickets to the game in January and cant wait to finally take my son to a Pacers game, my wife and I go every blue moon but he has not been to a game yet.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. You have a great family and are a blessed man.
            {o,o}
            |)__)
            -"-"-

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnar View Post
              great post, we need more of these form our road fans!

Side note my son is a giant nerd like his father so Andrew Wiggins is automatically his favorite player. I got us spectacular tickets to the game in January and cant wait to finally take my son to a Pacers game, my wife and I go every blue moon but he has not been to a game yet.
              Kudos for bringing your son to his first game! Will he be wearing an enemy jersey? Might have to call DFACS for that...
              BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
              Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

Originally posted by BillS View Post
                Kudos for bringing your son to his first game! Will he be wearing an enemy jersey? Might have to call DFACS for that...
                He may be wearing a Wiggens Shirt we will be in row 10 behind the opposing bench so he might be able to get a autograph if he wears the shirt.

My wife and I will be wearing Blue & Gold

Comment

Glad you guys enjoyed the read, I couldn't sleep so I was up getting it ready until about 5 AM, lol.

It was a great night, with some fun stories. Happy to share them with you all.

Comment

Awesome post. Great job representing Pacer Nation out there!

That's awesome that you had a chance to meet Chris Denari. One of the nicest, most sincere guys you'll ever meet.

Hope to see you in Bankers Life sometime!

Comment

Originally posted by TMJ31 View Post
                      This photo is amazing. I love the captions
                      Originally posted by IrishPacer
                      Empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

Awesome photos and story, thanks for posting.

Comment

Very cool thread and awesome pictures. I didn't know your dad worked for the Pacers...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueNGold View Post
                            Very cool thread and awesome pictures. I didn't know your dad worked for the Pacers...
                            Haha, I wish

Comment

Working...
                            X