Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

  1. #1
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,738

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Injured late in the season for the third straight year.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2011656

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento Kings center Brad Miller will be sidelined for at least a month after breaking his left leg during a light shooting drill Saturday.

    Brad Miller
    Center
    Sacramento Kings
    Profile
    2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
    GMPPGRPGAPGFG%FT%
    5615.69.33.9.524.812


    Miller, a two-time All-Star, missed Sacramento's last six games with a bruised calf. He was expected to return for Sunday's game against Houston -- but in the latest bizarre injury in a long franchise history for the Kings, Miller broke his left fibula during a non-contact drill.



    The bone will heal in four to six weeks, according to team doctors, and Miller should be able to ride a stationary bike in 10 days. But the playoffs begin in six weeks, and the Kings aren't sure whether he'll be ready.



    Miller is averaging 15.6 points, 9.3 rebounds and 3.9 assists in his second season with the Kings, who acquired him in a trade with Indiana. His emergence as an elite passer and rebounder encouraged the Kings' decision to trade Chris Webber to the Philadelphia 76ers two weeks ago.



    Sacramento has been plagued by injuries during six consecutive winning seasons, and this winter has been no exception. Every key player on Sacramento's roster has missed at least one game with an injury.



    The Kings already lost guard Bobby Jackson for the rest of the regular season when he underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left wrist in early January. Peja Stojakovic, the NBA's second-leading scorer last season, has been sidelined or ineffective since straining his hamstring last month, while Cuttino Mobley missed two recent games with a strained lower back.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

  2. #2
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    The problem is, even with Brad gone, we've still got a team full of guys that either break down physically or mentally as the season goes on.

    I've just lost all confidence in this team over the past few weeks. Its a team built for success from November to February, but once March rolls around ...

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  3. #3
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,373

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Damn, that sucks for the Kings.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  4. #4
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,928

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    They're going to miss Webber really bad now.

  5. #5
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,373

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    How long is Peja going to be out?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  6. #6

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Atleast he will be able to sit back and drink all the beer he wants.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    704

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    How do you break your leg in a light shooting drill?

  8. #8

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is, even with Brad gone, we've still got a team full of guys that either break down physically or mentally as the season goes on.

    I've just lost all confidence in this team over the past few weeks. Its a team built for success from November to February, but once March rolls around ...

    You know what we should do? Just have the team not play the first third of the season. We can get by at .500. That way we can be healthy for the playoffs
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  9. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,529

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Was it the same leg that was 'bruised'? Might make you wonder about the initial diagnosis.

    Then again... maybe they use the same medical jargon that the Pacers are fond of. Pacer 'bruises' have been a red flag that a player is going to be sitting for a good long while.... :-(

    -Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #10
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,600

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Breaking your leg in a light non-contact shooting drill???

    That's downright Benderriffic.



    ps. Sorry Jon.

  11. #11
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Okay, I am willing to admit that this is clearly a hibitual problem for Brad.

    However I do not understand why everyone is so quick to point out Brad's injury problem with a confirmed fracture, and yet the majority will defend Jamaal with a bruise saying that "no one can truly understand the pain he is in."

    I just think a small double standard is being created here.
    All in for DG33

  12. #12

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, I am willing to admit that this is clearly a hibitual problem for Brad.

    However I do not understand why everyone is so quick to point out Brad's injury problem with a confirmed fracture, and yet the majority will defend Jamaal with a bruise saying that "no one can truly understand the pain he is in."

    I just think a small double standard is being created here.
    JT has a track record for performing in the playoffs, injured or not. Brad Miller has a track record for either being too injured to play, or playing so badly his team inevitably loses.

    In other words, JT can play with pain, Big Bad Brad cannot.

  13. #13
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JT has a track record for performing in the playoffs, injured or not. Brad Miller has a track record for either being too injured to play, or playing so badly his team inevitably loses.

    In other words, JT can play with pain, Big Bad Brad cannot.
    Well like I said, this is becoming a big problem with one of my favorite players.

    However, I think it is a little different with an actual fracture. I understand he is not reliable, but a broken leg is clearly something you can not play on.

    Hopefully JT can be back soon.
    All in for DG33

  14. #14
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,373

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well like I said, this is becoming a big problem with one of my favorite players.

    However, I think it is a little different with an actual fracture. I understand he is not reliable, but a broken leg is clearly something you can not play on.

    Hopefully JT can be back soon.
    Tins did shoot around before the GS game, so maybe he is almost there.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  15. #15
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,720

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Breaking your leg in a light non-contact shooting drill???

    That's downright Benderriffic.



    ps. Sorry Jon.
    lol Benderriffic

  16. #16
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, I am willing to admit that this is clearly a hibitual problem for Brad.
    Question is, will your father?

    I think it's relatively apparent now that Donnie Walsh's assessment of Brad was dead on.

  17. #17
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I think it's relatively apparent now that Donnie Walsh's assessment of Brad was dead on.
    Brad was too injury-prone to keep, yet Bender always has a roster/rotation spot waiting for him.

    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  18. #18
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brad was too injury-prone to keep, yet Bender always has a roster/rotation spot waiting for him.

    One of the great mysteries of the universe.

  19. #19
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,529

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the great mysteries of the universe.
    Not really...
    At least you get half a season out of Brad...






























    -Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  20. #20
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,286

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Jamaal Tinsley

    01/02 80 games
    02/03 73 games
    03/04 52 games
    04/05 40 games (so far

    Many people speculate that the Pacers might have been able to get past the Pistons if it weren't for two things. 1. The injury to J.O. 2. the injury to J.T. Two years ago we were taken out of the first round. Many people thought that if Brad Miller were healthy or if Jamaal Tinsley were healthy we might have made it past them.

    Anybody see a common denominator there?

    I'll go on.

    Jon Bender

    99/00 24 games (we'll give this one to him seeing as he was a rookie)
    00/01 59 games
    01/02 78 games
    02/03 46 games
    03/04 21 games
    04/05 7 games (so far)

    Yet, he was rewarded with an extension that directly cut into our ability to sign....

    Brad Miller

    98/99 38 games (again a rookie)
    99/00 55 games
    00/01 57 games
    01/02 76 games
    02/03 73 games
    03/04 72 games
    04/05 56 games (so far)

    Now who is constantly injured & doesn't play again?

    BTW, did you know that J.O. has played one more game this season than Jamaal has?

    Since Dale is home it is all a little less important to me, however once my euphoria dies down from that I will always shake my head at this thought. The exact same standard should be applied to J.T. & Bender yet when it comes to Pacers fans it never is.

    Brad is the devil while St. Bender can only be a great player once he gets healed & able to play.

    You do realize that if Jon Bender retired today there will be people on here, & in thier own minds they will beleive this, that Bender could have been the greatest Pacer ever. They will also have convinced themselves that in the past he greatly contributed to the team.

    Brad is injured again. That's just a fact. But why is Walsh any smarter about that & then not seeing the exact same things about Bender, Tinsley & (dare I even say this?) Jermaine O'Neal?

    Let's review another thing shall we? Again, playoffs vs. the Pistons two Pacers were injured causing many on here to believe that we lost because of that. Who were those two?

    That's right Jamaal Tinsley & Jermaine O'Neal. Guess who's injured again?

    I know both are legitimate injuries so that's not my point. My point is that there is no differance between J.O. & J.T & Brad. I know the next big argument is going to be about money. Do you need reminded that J.O. is signed to a max. deal? There is no money issue when it comes to compareing injurys & late season play with these three.

    Either way, I hope that Dale takes us farther than anyone of the three could. He won't but I can always hope.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  21. #21
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,009

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Everyone knows I'm a Walsh supporter, but I think he blew it on Brad Miller.

    Good centers and good point guards are the hardest players to get in the NBA, so why didn't he sign Brad. Simple, somewhere along the line he made a mistake and it cost us Brad.

    I still think Walsh is one of the premiere front office people in the NBA.

    As for injuries, maybe the same people were advising him then that are making calls on the players today.

  22. #22
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,060

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    There is a one big difference between Bender and Brad Miller. Bender signed for 4 years, and Brad was signed for 7. Simple as that. I'm convinced that LB and DW decided that signing Brad to a long term deal, more than 4 years was a mistake and that is why the decided not to sign him to a long term deal.

  23. #23
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,060

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    You do realize that if Jon Bender retired today there will be people on here, & in thier own minds they will beleive this, that Bender could have been the greatest Pacer ever. They will also have convinced themselves that in the past he greatly contributed to the team.

    Not sure if this is directed at me, but I want to comment anyways. I have said that I'll go to my grave 100% convinced that if Bender was ever healthy enough he would have been quite an NBA player. Better than J.O or Artest, NO. Greatest Pacers ever, hardly. But certainly one of the better players on the current Pacers team.

    What do I base that on. Wild practice stories? No. Rumor? No.

    I base that on what I saw from Bender, seeing the type of talent the kid had, seeing the game he IMO would have developed. He was a unique talent, one that I believe to this day was worth taking a chance on. The gamble did not pay off for no other reason than his body is not able to sustain the rigors of NBA basketball.

  24. #24
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone knows I'm a Walsh supporter, but I think he blew it on Brad Miller. Good centers and good point guards are the hardest players to get in the NBA, so why didn't he sign Brad. Simple, somewhere along the line he made a mistake and it cost us Brad.
    He didn't make a "mistake" as you say. If he thought Brad was worth it, he could have made a case to the Simons and re-signed him. He simply didn't believe Brad was worth the money he was commanding, and that evaluation was ultimately based on Brad's ability to remain healthy throughout the entire season and contribute when it mattered mostódown the stretch. It's a judgement call that (based on Brad's history and current situation) is proving to be the right decision. It's an old debate that has little to do with Bender or other decisions Walsh may or may not have made. That's an entirely different discussion altogether. By the way, that last sentence wasn't directed at you, Will.

  25. #25
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,753

    Default Re: It's starting to become apparent why the Pacers didn't retain Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is, even with Brad gone, we've still got a team full of guys that either break down physically or mentally as the season goes on.

    I've just lost all confidence in this team over the past few weeks. Its a team built for success from November to February, but once March rolls around ...

    Someone else said it before ... you have become VERY negative lately. I understand because we are basically experiencing the 2nd season "nobody speaks of", but still ... get a little perspective on all of this, please .

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •