Thread: The 5 second rule

Default The 5 second rule

First of all I don't follow college hoops very close. I'll catch part of a game here or there but seldom watch more than a couple minutes of any one game.

I recall a rule that might still be in place where the player with the ball had to pass or shoot within 5 seconds, is that correct?

Anyway, I was watching Troy Murphy struggling a little bit in the first half tonight with getting open enough for a shot or to find an open team mate & was wondering what the NBA game might be like if it had a 5 second rule.

What would the impact (thanks Jay) be, good or bad?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 5 second rule

the rule only takes effect if the player is being aggressively defended. The player has to pass, shoot, or make an aggressive drive to the basket within 5 seconds.

However, there is no 5-second rule in the NBA. That would be stupid.

The only reason for a 5-second rule was to take the place of the shot clock.

Now that the NCAA has a shot clock, i dont think they need one either. Just leave the rule to highschool.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I didn't know the particulars of the rule, since like I said, I don't follow the college game.

I didn't know if some might think it would increase ball movement & lead to more scoring opportunities.

Just curious.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't know the particulars of the rule, since like I said, I don't follow the college game.

I didn't know if some might think it would increase ball movement & lead to more scoring opportunities.

Just curious.
    It was originally intended to prevent stalling, moreso than to speed the tempo.

Then the shot clock came around, and made the 5 second rule irrelevant.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

There is, I believe, a 5-second "back-down" rule in the NBA where a guard backs a player into the post - if he keeps the ball five seconds it gets turned over.

This is a big time pet peeve of mine. I've seen that called several times against guards. I've NEVER seen it called against Shaq, JO or any other big man. I suppose I could check the rule itself, maybe it reads; "Any player 6'5" or shorter who holds the ball while backing his man down ..."
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is, I believe, a 5-second "back-down" rule in the NBA where a guard backs a player into the post - if he keeps the ball five seconds it gets turned over.

This is a big time pet peeve of mine. I've seen that called several times against guards. I've NEVER seen it called against Shaq, JO or any other big man. I suppose I could check the rule itself, maybe it reads; "Any player 6'5" or shorter who holds the ball while backing his man down ..."
    Actually, I believe that it is nicknamed the "Mark Jackson" rule. If you remember correctly, back in 99-00 Jack would typically, take the ball and methodically back his man down from either side of the basket all the time keeping his head up. He would either make a simple pass to Dale /Rik or shoot over his man. It was very effective, but also was not very exciting to watch. Therefore the rule is that when a player gets the ball below the free-throw line and pounds the ball must either shoot or pass in 5 secs. I believe it doesn't matter the size of the player, however, typically, the bigger guys in the post only have 3 secs if they receive the ball in the paint Sometimes, they could probably be called for the 5 secs, but that doesn't officially start until they start dribbling, therefore if they are in the paint the 3 sec rule should be applied first.