Thread: Can any defender stop Stephen Jackson

Default Can any defender stop Stephen Jackson

I bring this up because I am very impressed with Jackson's offensive game. He can seemigly score on anyone and it does not seem to matter who is defending him.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that he is one of the best offensive players in the game, because he still has poor shot selection at times and he is a streaky shooter, but I have not seen him struggle because of the defense. His struggles from time to time appear to me to be more self-induced.

He can get his shot off over anyone who has guarded him, he can drive around anyone that guards him and he is big enough to finish. I really did not realize he had the off the dribble game that he does.

Am I overstating this.

If he can improve his shot selection and learn to keep his emotions under control there is no limit to how good he can become.

Being able to score over almost any defender is huge. That means he'll be tough to stop in the playoffs, teams will have to focus their defense on him. His ability to hit tough shots will also serve him well in the playoffs.

To say the least I'm glad we have him. Whether he's a hothead or not.

He can rebound and defend also.

Default Re: Can any defender stop Stephen Jackson

Yeah he has been very impressive without JO.

Funny, we have a player like Stepehen Jackson who is an outstanding offensive player, good defender and rebounder.

And we have a player like Ron Artest who is an oustanding defensive player, good offensive player and rebounder.

If only they were playing together.

Yes he is very good. A terrific 3rd scorer on a champtionship team. Unfortunately, right now he's having to be #1 (Reggie 1b), and we'll live and die by him sometimes. But with JO and Ron, he's terrific.

Stick him with JO, ROn and have Tinsley to create the plays their is no limit to what this team can achieve. Shot selection is still a concern but I think he is improving that with the coaching he is getting. I mean look at it, teams will need to double team JO. But it is almost impossible for one player to stop Jackson. If Artests play this season is an indication of an improved offensive game, teams are going to have to pay even more attention to him. Just not enough defense to stop those 3, which leaves Tinsley who we know can score, unobstructed to pass to foster or take the shot himself.

And damn, Freddie backing up the Guards,
    And Pollard, Davis and Harrison as centers, Sheesh all I want is a player that can play both forwards, and I am set. Have to check the lists of FA

Mike Pietrus did a hell of a job on him in the fourth quarter. I enjoyed watching them dual.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Pietrus did a hell of a job on him in the fourth quarter. I enjoyed watching them dual.

I would love to have Pietrus on the Pacers. He is a great defender, one of the best I've seen.

minusthebear

oh man i can't wait to have the whole team back and healthy. our (would be) starting five is amazing. offensively and defensively.

ReggieMiller8325

Its great to have the one towo punch of Miller and jackson scored a combined 41 points today amazing.

Artest can stop Jackson too. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene
    Artest can stop Jackson too. hehe

I'd like to see practice. I'd pay to see it

Jackson has a shooter's mentality too. He believes he's going to hit every shot.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

He is in many ways what we wanted Jalen to be. Jalen had the same ability to get hot and simply be unstopable.

He was just alergic to rebounding and D.

But on offense if he was on he was impossible to stop and it is always good to have a guy like that on your team.

SjA3837

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    Jackson has a shooter's mentality too. He believes he's going to hit every shot.
    I believe that is really good quailty. As you see in JJ and sometimes Freddie, as soon as they miss a few shots, they become to passive on shots they could normally hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Yeah, a full bore Pacers scrimmage would be really cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I agree I would pay money to get a tape or two of our practice just to see Ron and Steve got at it, both of them are real agressive and tough, I can already imagine how intense that match up must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    He is in many ways what we wanted Jalen to be. Jalen had the same ability to get hot and simply be unstopable.

But on offense if he was on he was impossible to stop and it is always good to have a guy like that on your team.
    Plus, Jack doesn't believe he's God's gift to the point guard position.

Though, if he starts talking about himself in the third-person, watch out.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think you're right, we have not come upon a player who can guard him. I've been saying all along that he was everything Jalen Rose could've/should've been. I am with Kegboy in saying that it is nice that Jack does not think he is a point guard.

On the night of the brawl when we dominated the Pistons I kept pointing out that one of the main reason, and possible the main reason, is that Jack was guarding Rip. See Rip has something on everyone one of our other possible defenders.

Rip vs Reggie: Rip is faster, better dribbler
    Rip vs Ron: Rip is faster, more intelligent, moves great without the ball
    Rip vs Fred: Rip is equal in speed, and has the height.
    Rip vs Anthony:

But see Jack has the height, and length advantage, and Rip is no faster than Jack. Plus Jack makes Rip work on the other end as Rip can't really effect Jack's shot. With everyone healthy I always believed that Jack was the answer to beating the Pistons this year. I felt he would negate Rip and that would force some of Detroit's less talented offensive players to beat us.

Jack's only weaknesses are his attitude, which honestly is no worse than Jermaine's. And Jack's post defense. While Jack can score on anyone, he has lots of problems with SF's that are equally as tall, but stronger. Like the night he could not stop Rashard Lewis. Jack scored 28, but Lewis scored 30 by muscling Jack around.

Due to these reasons I think Richard Jefferson would cause Jack problems. Not on offense, I think Jack could score on anyone, but he can't necessarily stop anyone.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Yes he is very good. A terrific 3rd scorer on a champtionship team. Unfortunately, right now he's having to be #1 (Reggie 1b), and we'll live and die by him sometimes. But with JO and Ron, he's terrific.
    And this is what i think always held us back during our runs in the 90's... Reggie would have been a terrific #2 scorer on a championship team. The problem was, he was our #1 scorer.

Reggie would have been a great "2nd best guy on the team". He just wasn't quite good enough to be THE guy. If only Jermaine had come along earlier.

It's gonna be very nice having a 3rd scorer as good as Stephen Jackson. What a luxury!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    Stick him with JO, ROn and have Tinsley to create the plays their is no limit to what this team can achieve. Shot selection is still a concern but I think he is improving that with the coaching he is getting. I mean look at it, teams will need to double team JO. But it is almost impossible for one player to stop Jackson. If Artests play this season is an indication of an improved offensive game, teams are going to have to pay even more attention to him. Just not enough defense to stop those 3, which leaves Tinsley who we know can score, unobstructed to pass to foster or take the shot himself.

And damn, Freddie backing up the Guards,
    And Pollard, Davis and Harrison as centers, Sheesh all I want is a player that can play both forwards, and I am set. Have to check the lists of FA
    *cough* Jonathon Bender *cough*

Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar

It's a shame Jalen fell in love with the jumper in his final season in Indiana. I agree with you very few people can guard Jalen Rose if he was using his total package of offensive skills, especially in the post.