Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Default If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Reason? Scot Pollard. We finally have a last-year (and of decent size) contract to use as a bargaining chip in a trade. When used creatively, a backup C with an expiring contract can net you Carlos Arroyo. So, with that in mind, I think Scot's contract combined with Ron Artest makes Ron more tradable because right now those expiring deals are attractive to just about anybody.

Plus, adding Scot's contract to Ron's makes the sum total equal to that of players that approach Ron's actual playing talent. That's if anyone would feel like giving that up for Ron.

If Ron's going to be traded, between mid summer and the trading deadline's probably the best window of opportunity for the Pacers to do it.

Default Re: If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Sorry Hicks, but...

Did anybody else just hear the Mr. Obvious jingle from Bob & Tom in their head?

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Some of you knew this already, but not everyone did. I wanted to sum it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry Hicks, but...

Did anybody else just hear the Mr. Obvious jingle from Bob & Tom in their head?

The other point of this thread was for the rest of you *stares at Kegboy* to dig up people who have a contract equal to Ron + Scot, so we could look at the possibilities.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Or even Ron + Scot + Jeff/Fred (guys with decent contracts and are 'in-demand' throughout the league.)

I see a three-for-two deal or four-for-two type of deal.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

yea lets ship ron to detroit....

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I see a three-for-two deal or four-for-two type of deal.
    Since we already have 16 guys, including a first round pick, with hopes of a contract with the Pacers next year, it certainly won't be the other way around.

Despite the ribbing from others, I think it's a good observation, Hicks.

My only concern is how a new CBA might affect things. For example, if they get rid of the Luxury Tax, teams might not feel like they have to keep payroll as low as they do now, and so the value of trading for expiring contracts might not be as high.

But good point for discussion, either way.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only player (realistically), I'd be willing to trade Artest for as of right now is Shawn Marion.

Shawn's an underrated defender, he is athletic, a great rebounder, and a good shooter with 3pt range. He also doesn't have a problem sharing the ball with his fellow teammates (all stars).

Talent-wise, Phoenix might have the more talented player in Artest but chemistry-wise, I think the Pacers would get the better end of the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

I would rather just keep him. I know I will be in the minority on this one but he is just too talented and I dont think we will be seeing anything anywhere near like we saw in Detroit. He lost a lot of money and he realized how much he wanted to play the game (not to mention his record label flopped)

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    The only player (realistically), I'd be willing to trade Artest for as of right now is Shawn Marion.

Shawn's an underrated defender, he is athletic, a great rebounder, and a good shooter with 3pt range. He also doesn't have a problem sharing the ball with his fellow teammates (all stars).

Talent-wise, Phoenix might have the more talented player in Artest but chemistry-wise, I think the Pacers would get the better end of the deal.

I agree completely. He's the one guy I've had my eye on, too. I just don't know if Phoenix would mess with the team chemistry they have right now. Plus, Marion has a max contract, which is a little scary.

But... an Artest/Pollard for Marion trade works, per RealGM...
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Ron Artest is a top ten player in the NBA. If I were running a franchise I would never trade a top ten player. Look back through hisotry and tell me when a team benefittd from trading a top ten player.

I realize this is an extreme example. But how have the Magic and Lakers fared when Shaq was traded.

How did the Sixers fare after Barkley as traded.

Kidd was traded twice and it took the suns several seasons to recovery, as it did the mavs. Although in all fairness the mavs were horrible when Kid was there.

McGrady - Yes the Magic are better than they were last season. But does anyone really believe the Mgic would not be better right now if they stil had T-Mac to go along with a healthy Grant, and their new rookie.

For the sake of discussion in this thread, assume the Pacers have made up their mind and they don't want Ron. Keeping him is no longer an option in this scenario.

Sports Logo

Phoenix is not trading Shawn Marion. Plus we had our chance on that we blew it on Bender.

I'd like to keep him here, and not trade him.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    I would rather just keep him. I know I will be in the minority on this one but he is just too talented and I dont think we will be seeing anything anywhere near like we saw in Detroit. He lost a lot of money and he realized how much he wanted to play the game (not to mention his record label flopped)
    That's all true, BUT, the fans and media will be on him like nothing you've ever seen. Every drunk idiot in the world is going to want to be the guy that pushes him over the edge. Again.
    It will brutal and I'm not sure anyone could withstand it. Certain Ron Artest won't.
    Get something in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Ron Artest is a top ten player in the NBA. If I were running a franchise I would never trade a top ten player. Look back through hisotry and tell me when a team benefittd from trading a top ten player.

I realize this is an extreme example. But how have the Magic and Lakers fared when Shaq was traded.

How did the Sixers fare after Barkley as traded.

Kidd was traded twice and it took the suns several seasons to recovery, as it did the mavs. Although in all fairness the mavs were horrible when Kid was there.

McGrady - Yes the Magic are better than they were last season. But does anyone really believe the Mgic would not be better right now if they stil had T-Mac to go along with a healthy Grant, and their new rookie.

You're trading him because he's a loose cannon that has destroyed his own team.
    Not because you want different talent.
    Whole nuther thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    I'd like to keep him here, and not trade him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    For the sake of discussion in this thread, assume the Pacers have made up their mind and they don't want Ron. Keeping him is no longer an option in this scenario.

Sports Logo

Ok Assuming they are trading him. I want a self motivated good player in return. Self motivated ends any idea of Paul Pierce because it is clear he needs someone to keep him going. It would need to be a three and you can forget about Lebron because there is no way in hell Cleveland would trade him for our entire team. Its not that he is so much better its that he puts buts in seats and provides hope.

We could probably get Mello because it seems like he is just not fitting in as well in Denver but I am not sure he would play anywhere near the D that Ron does. Unless we are getting Ron Artest in return I pretty much cant think of another 3 I would want over Ron.

Old as Dirt

My 1 cent: The pacer will not trade Ron, unless he has another break down, then I would say good bye. I think they will give hime the chace to show he has grown up and can control his temper.

I'd say the last incident qualifies as a "last straw" as much as anything.
    I think Artest is a unique talent. There's no player out there who can defend for an entire game out there and also provide a sizable chunk of the scoring on offense.

However, you can get a different type of player that through his individual greatness can overall be as much of a boon to the team as Artest.

Someone like Marion qualifies as that, as does Ray Allen (who I've always admired and wanted on the Pacers).

I don't believe that trading Artest means that we'll can't win a championship and I don't think that the team that would get him in a trade wouldn't automatically win the title either.

Cool Re: If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Old as Dirt
    My 1 cent: The pacer will not trade Ron, unless he has another break down, then I would say good bye. I think they will give hime the chace to show he has grown up and can control his temper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    I'd say the last incident qualifies as a "last straw" as much as anything.
    I think Artest is a unique talent. There's no player out there who can defend for an entire game out there and also provide a sizable chunk of the scoring on offense.

However, you can get a different type of player that through his individual greatness can overall be as much of a boon to the team as Artest.

Someone like Marion qualifies as that, as does Ray Allen (who I've always admired and wanted on the Pacers).

I don't believe that trading Artest means that we'll can't win a championship and I don't think that the team that would get him in a trade wouldn't automatically win the title either.
    Last straw that broke the camel's back or last 500 pound anvil?

Anyway, I' don't think this thread was created to debate wether or not the P's WILL pull the trigger, I think it was created to show that we have a couple of good cards to play this season unlike other recent seasons.

What player would I want right now? Anybody with a pulse, a good shot, decent defense, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY a guy who shows up, shuts his mouth, and does his job, night in, night out. Season in, season out. NO free rides.

The Pacers are still hoping that this describes Ron next year.

I think that's like hoping your girlfriend will stop cheating on you. "But she promised she'd be better after the last time." Once trust between teammates is gone, it doesn't get repaired that easily.

SO YES - a Ron/Pollard combo deal is a good idea, but who do you want? we will need a small forward in return, or a BIG guy (in either talent or actuall size).

Who has alot of big contracts? Who has management crazy enough to try Ron out? Let's do a quick run-down:

New York - pick a guy, but know that whoever you get doesn't match in talent, this is where you go to just flat-out dump Ron.

New Jersey - Carter and Kidd both match this deal.

LA Lakers - Odom perhaps?

Dallas - don't throw a cup at me

Sacto - Ditto

Thoughts?

Perhaps a change in style. Perhaps Seattle would 'pull a Brad Miller' and sign-and-trade Ray Allen for Ron and Scot? I'm not predicting that, but it's an idea.

Come to think of it, same goes for Milwaukee and Michael Redd. Again, not making a prediction.