Thread: Enough with the 'Poor Reggie' Talk

Default Enough with the 'Poor Reggie' Talk

All I have heard all year - except for the arguing over Ron is - Poor Reggie, a shame that this has to happen to him in his last year... poor poor Reggie.

The man has a contract he is walking away from.

The man can still play.

The man is by no means being pushed aside - quite the contrary, he is being asked to stay.

This is Reggie's choice - one that you can agree with or disagree with.

But no one should feel sorry for him for this happening to him in his last year. Because it does not have to be and he could come back to a contender next year.

If you want to feelo sorry for him for the George Irvine/Dick Versace/Bo Hill years then fine - it is a shame that he has no ring.

But do NOT cry for him because this is his last year. It is his choice. One that quite frankly, I wish he would reconsider.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Enough with the 'Poor Reggie' Talk

I'm assuming that Reggie is also opting out of his contract by virtue of his electing to retire. Basically making him a free agent.

It would not surprise me to see the Pacers enter and play through much of next season with only 14 rostered players.

I believe that the team will hold out hope that Reggie will sign a new contract with the team for the remainder of the season at some point before the deadline for doing so next season.

That would work for me. We would get a fresh Reggie to fill the backup SG slot at a reasonable price going into the playoffs.

Not much chance of this happening, but a fella can hope. Right?

exactly...it's his choice to leave. He's obviously not that motivated or concerned to get a ring as oyu people may think.
    so all I can say is farewell reggie...enjoy the beach.

Please. I don't doubt his motivation for a second and I'm also sure that there's nothing more he'd like than a ring.

However, he obviously feels that his time is up and rather than to Karl Malone it, he's letting the younger players take over. This has no bearing to his dedication as a player.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please. I don't doubt his motivation for a second and I'm also sure that there's nothing more he'd like than a ring.

However, he obviously feels that his time is up and rather than to Karl Malone it, he's letting the younger players take over. This has no bearing to his dedication as a player.
    Yes exactly he is just stepping back so the guys can develope, actually he has done this over the last 4 years, i mean if Reggie would continue scoring 20+ ppg every season then Jermaine and other players would not be who they are today.. he just does what is the best for the team and right now he feels its enough and i cant wait for the next season to come, other players will get more minutes and who knows maybe Freddy will start averaging 20 ppg because of the minutes... but i still feel like Reggie should stay, reggie will never get OLD, sure he will get old.. but he will never lose his skills&heart until he is in the cofin in the crypt

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie on staff next year as an assistant.

Either that, or he's going to work for one of the networks as an analyst.

The first choice could still bring him a ring.

_PD_

As I recall after the finals team was broken up due to trades and retirements, Reggie said he wanted to stay long enough to help the new guys get established. That's now.

A year ago, the debate was whether Reggie should be coming off the bench. It's retirement time.

no its poor reggie because the fact is the man has a right to retire whenever he so pleases. he wouldnt be bailing on the team or anything like that by retiring, he would be stopping when he wants to stop. he is not a 20 something year old ricky williams, he has played til after a point when most players retire.

that being said he has made his decision and it would be nice for him and his fans if he could go out on a good note. but the chances of that are looking slimmer and slimmer by the day.

thats why poor reggie... i respect his decision to leave, and if this is indeed his last year, i do feel bad that he couldnt win a championship, especially since after last year it seemed so close to happening.

that being said, i also hope he comes back next year, and maybe he'll see that he doesnt wanna end his career this way barring the pacers winning a championship, and come back to play one more.

woman without a team

Reggie is not coming back next year. He is not going to be on the bench as an assistant coach. I doubt he's going to be an analyst. I think he said he wanted to get into producing movies or something like that.

XXSASSXX31

Reggie will take a couple of seasons off and relax before he does any sort of staff/tv stuff but of course I feel sorry for Reggie. He wanted to retire last year, money is not the issue; and he had to retire having the season from hell. Imagine if we win the title next year without Reggie...if we are on our way for a title I hope Reggie comes back off the bench after the allstar break next season.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im not sure how you know this, but as it stands Reggie already has TV ofers (non basketball related)
    I know....but he may do some tv here and there but for him to be a full time tv commentator, he may want to rest for a couple of seasons. We will see.