Thread: Did anyone hear the WRTV report?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Did anyone hear the WRTV report?

It is being said on the IS site that WRTV said JO COULD be out for the rest of the year....and then this article appears.
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_050311.html

Though Jermaine O'Neal is eliglble to return from the injured list in two more games, there appears little possibility he'll be back that soon, which means the Pacers will have to continue the small-ball style that has produced two victories in the last three games, both on the road.
    "We've had kind of like five different sets of players," said Coach Rick Carlisle. "We've had to make a lot of major adjustments in a short period of time on a lot of occasions but we're getting used to it. Our team has become very adaptable. Reggie (Miller) and Jack (Stephen Jackson) are going to be important guys for us as are all of our guys. It's a tough time because of our personnel situation but we've still got to find a way to win games."

O'Neal spent Wednesday and Thursday in Los Angeles having his sprained right shoulder examined further. Carlisle said he "may be out for awhile."

"There's no official word yet but I'm starting to be afraid that this is more serious than we had hoped," Carlisle said. "It's something that's got to come from the doctors. Hopefully we'll find out more tomorrow."

Jamaal Tinsley likewise is not much closer to a return. The point guard who missed all but three games in February has yet to play this month. He has participated in limited on-court work in practice.

"At some point, I do believe he'll be back this year but I don't think it's fair to him or right for me to guess on when that could be," Carlisle said. "I can tell you he's been making steady, gradual improvement and he has done some things on the floor, but he's not ready yet."

With their primary ball-handler and lone low-post scoring threat sidelined, the Pacers have once again been forced to alter their offensive system. The presence of Dale Davis, who has averaged 29.7 minutes and 9.0 rebounds in three starts at power forward since signing with the team last Friday, allows the defensive scheme to be largely unaltered.

In the last three games since O'Neal's injury, Jackson and Miller have combined to average 47.4 points per game. The starting point guards (Anthony Johnson in Utah, Fred Jones the previous two) have averaged 18.0 points. The old inside-out philosophy has been turned, well, inside-out.

"The thing that's making it easy to drift over to this new style is this is the way everybody grew up playing," Jackson said. ."Everybody grew up playing this pickup-type of small basketball because growing up playing you don't always have a big man; sometimes you'll have a 6-5 guy playing center. Everybody has played this style of ball and everybody's used to it so if we play together this style of ball can work."
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Did anyone hear the WRTV report?

Honestly, I'd rather have them both just sit out the rest of the year and make sure theres no chance of reinjuring it.

Mood

If it is worse (and I don't know that) then it is another missed diagnosis by the medical staff, and I'm really calling them out!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Like Hicks said in another thread, I'm at the point where this kinda stuff doesn't bother me anymore. We've had such amazingly horrible luck this year and I'm just ready for it to be over. But it is sad to see Reggie go out on this season.

But hey, Reggie's probably going to have to score more points the rest of the way with JO out and he could possibly move past Jerry West on the scoring list. That's something positive. It's no championship ring, but it's noteworthy.

Mood

Sorry guys I didn't see the other thread...hiding somewhere. I'll ask that this one be deleted.

Can ya do that Mr. Forum Admin???? Please?

Sports Logo

I agree about the medical staff I am begining to question thier ability.

sweabs

God, I hope that Donnie re-signs Dale this offseason. I need to see him, JO, and Ronnie together.

As for now, I think we keep pushing for that playoff spot. If we can somehow manage to squirm our ways into that 8th spot, and get Harrison, James Jones, etc. type guys some playoff minutes, and more experience for everyone else, that'd be great.

With that said, I think if it becomes painfully obvious that our season is over, and we fall out of the playoff race, it is time to play Harrison a lot more than what we're seeing. Experiment with Freddie some more at the point. Allow James to get more minutes...just make the most out of it, hope to get a nice pick - and follow the motto:

Wait till next year...

For those who are ready for the lottery, there has never been a team that has finished worse than 8th place in their conference come back and win a championship the next year in the NBA. (My grandpa told me that stat at a bar...)

Quote Originally Posted by tseramid
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those who are ready for the lottery, there has never been a team that has finished worse than 8th place in their conference come back and win a championship the next year in the NBA. (My grandpa told me that stat at a bar...)

There's a first time for everything

this has truly been a lost season. there are good things that will eventually come out it (i hope) but going from being a favorite to a mere playoff team to maybe being a mere playoff team to...

it's easier when you're a fan of a crappy team because they're bad, you know they bad and you have no lofty expectations (and later no 'what if's?) so you try to enjoy things when they go well and when they don't you try to find the little positives that give you hope for "down the road". and you get to be an arm chair coach and look smart doing it (because anybody could coach better than that idiot ______)

I'm unphased by this news.

Thumbs down Re: Did anyone hear the WRTV report?

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    If it is worse (and I don't know that) then it is another missed diagnosis by the medical staff, and I'm really calling them out!
    I'm sorry but you really ought to know what the H you're talking about when you call someone out.

Talking Re: Did anyone hear the WRTV report?

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    I'm unphased by this news.
    And I am unfazed.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    And I am unfazed.

OK FINE UNFAZED. That's what I meant to errrrr.....say. yeah unfazed. What MORON would say unphased? Sheeesh. Some people are so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by tseramid
    True, but The Spurs were in the lottery in '97 after they lost The Admiral, Sean Elliott, Charles Smith and Chuck Person to injuries. They got Duncan, lost in the 2nd round in '98 and won the Championship in '99. Not a bad turnaround.

Of course the odds of us getting a TD in the draft are nil but if you look at it form a more sunny perspective we will be getting a DPOY and All-star along with our draft choice this year that should be pretty darn good. And if we could get Tins and *gulp* Bender *double gulp* healthy also we will be in great shape next year.

God, I hope that Donnie re-signs Dale this offseason. I need to see him, JO, and Ronnie together.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

I was commenting on just this thing to my sister the other day. Would not that be fun to watch? Put Jackson on the shooting guard and talk about defensive pressure. I am seriously considering going to the first game of the
    year just to welcome the team back and especially Ron. I will catch
    Reggie's last regular season game.

owl

figures....jus w/e man...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bread
    True, but The Spurs were in the lottery in '97 after they lost The Admiral, Sean Elliott, Charles Smith and Chuck Person to injuries. They got Duncan, lost in the 2nd round in '98 and won the Championship in '99. Not a bad turnaround.

Chuck missed every game, David missed more than 75 games, Sean and Charles each missed more than forty games. That was supposed to be the Spurs' entire front-court rotation that season.

Yeah, we've got the injury bug pretty bad, but teams have endured worse.

As for the mis-diagnosis - they said "separated shoulder". Anyone that's separated a shoulder knows just how long and painful the physical therapy really is. I was in utter shock that anybody believed he'd only miss five games. I don't think the diagnosis is wrong; I just don't think they're doing a good job of managing the public's expectations.

As for Tinsely - I've been assuming, although they've never said this, that he developed a stress fracture when he tried to play in the Houston game. They've never really announced the extent of the injury, so I don't think its been mis-diagnosed by the medical staff. I think the basketball staff is trying to do everything possible to keep the fan base from .

Its hard to sell season ticket renewals to a bunch of fans that have died due to self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    Honestly, I'd rather have them both just sit out the rest of the year and make sure theres no chance of reinjuring it.
    Yeah, me too. I just hope we don't have to deal w/any more injuries at this point (especially to Jax, Freddie, or Dale).

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Its hard to sell season ticket renewals to a bunch of fans that have died due to self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
    Atlanta's finding that out the hard way...

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

We're spoiled because Dale came back so quickly from this type of injury, so we think it is easy to do.

It just proves once more just how much of a monster Dale has always been.

Also, this is not a diagnosis one makes without an MRI and other tests. The fact that they put him on the IR means the medical staff knew it was serious. How serious is always dependent on the extent (not just the type) and how it affects the individual player's style.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Chuck missed every game, David missed more than 75 games, Sean and Charles each missed more than forty games. That was supposed to be the Spurs' entire front-court rotation that season.

Yeah, we've got the injury bug pretty bad, but teams have endured worse.

As for the mis-diagnosis - they said "separated shoulder". Anyone that's separated a shoulder knows just how long and painful the physical therapy really is. I was in utter shock that anybody believed he'd only miss five games. I don't think the diagnosis is wrong; I just don't think they're doing a good job of managing the public's expectations.

As for Tinsely - I've been assuming, although they've never said this, that he developed a stress fracture when he tried to play in the Houston game. They've never really announced the extent of the injury, so I don't think its been mis-diagnosed by the medical staff. I think the basketball staff is trying to do everything possible to keep the fan base from .

You may be right Jay, but didn't they originally say "slight shoulder sprain"? So either they are misdiagnosing or misleading. I assumed misdiagnosis based upon the "run-em-in-run-em-to-IR" way we've had Tins and Bender playing this year added to JO.

we just have to stay in the race while JO heals...he won't be out for the remainder of the year. Knowing JO I say he's back by the 2nd nets game...

Indianapolis 'journalism' is an oxymoron

The LA color commentator had this the night they played the Lakers
    Heywoode says... work hard man.