Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps a change in style. Perhaps Seattle would 'pull a Brad Miller' and sign-and-trade Ray Allen for Ron and Scot? I'm not predicting that, but it's an idea.

Come to think of it, same goes for Milwaukee and Michael Redd. Again, not making a prediction.
    The problem here is this: To do a sign and trade like the Brad Miller deal, you need the blessing of the player and his agent. Neither of these guys have said anything publicly about Indiana. They'll want a coat-tail deal like Brad thought he was getting with the Kings. They want a shot at it all, and a .500 team in turmoil that can fill an entire infirmary with injured players just doesn't pull that much of a draw.

If there is a sign-and-trade, look for these players to go to "teams of the future" like the Cavs, Wizards, Heat, Suns, etc, etc. last year, Indiana was on that list. They no longer are.

canyoufeelit

Default Re: If the Pacers want to trade Ron, this next year is a good time for them to try.

Unclebuck, you said that he's a top ten player. Well, if that is the case, then he is #10. He's not Kobe, he's not Shaq, he's not Duncan, he's not KG, he's not T-Mac, he's not LeBron James. What he is is completely tradable for a max player with respectable talent.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    Unclebuck, you said that he's a top ten player. Well, if that is the case, then he is #10. He's not Kobe, he's not Shaq, he's not Duncan, he's not KG, he's not T-Mac, he's not LeBron James. What he is is completely tradable for a max player with respectable talent.

You only listed 6 players. Seems you have Artest at number 7. I go along with that.

I never said that Artest has top ten trade value which is another strong argument not to trade him.

I need to apologize to Hicks, just re-read the thread title and realized I did not anwer the question. Although for the record i was not the first one to stray

The other point of this thread was for the rest of you *stares at Kegboy* to dig up people who have a contract equal to Ron + Scot, so we could look at the possibilities.
    Yes, because it's so much fun to have thousands of trade threads two weeks after the trading deadline.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Yes, because it's so much fun to have thousands of trade threads two weeks after the trading deadline.
    I've made one thread. I haven't seen another in a while.

The only way Ron will be traded is for a player in the collage draft.

Bird isn't going to trade Ron Artest . . . unless he gets what he thinks is relative equal value for him. Since he thinks Ron is a top ten player I don't see that happening. However, if Bird becomes enameled with someone in the collage draft he might trade Ron for that guy and another player.

In my opinion it makes more sense to look at trade possibilities with the draft in mind. I don't pay any attention to collage ball so I have no idea who Bird would like.

There's just no one to trade him for right now. No one realistic, or worth the trouble, that is.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    I would rather just keep him. I know I will be in the minority on this one but he is just too talented and I dont think we will be seeing anything anywhere near like we saw in Detroit. He lost a lot of money and he realized how much he wanted to play the game (not to mention his record label flopped)
    You are not in the minority my friend. The notion of getting rid of Ron is ridiculus because we won't get back a caliber of a player like him. Ron is our only hope of a title.

Those who want to get rid of him for lesser talent don't mind the Pacers not being dominant and winning an NBA Title.

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    Those who want to get rid of him for lesser talent don't mind the Pacers not being dominant and winning an NBA Title.
    Of course if we can't get back equal talent for him then yeah, their chances to win a title is diminished but it's far from as black and white as you make it out to be.

However, I don't believe the notion that the Pacers-Artest != championship. Teams have won championships without him before.. He is a unique talent for sure but that doesn't mean that another great player with another set of abilities couldn't come in and the subsequent result would be a championship.

Mood

Everyone that thinks that trading Ron means we'll never ever win a title is thinking too short-sighted. Yes, for a year or two it might set us back (I say might because it depends on who we get for him, what other moves we do or don't make, and how the rest of our guys improve), but sooner or later we'd re-tool and be fine.

XXSASSXX31

Everyone that thinks that trading Ron means we'll never ever win a title is thinking too short-sighted. Yes, for a year or two it might set us back (I say might because it depends on who we get for him, what other moves we do or don't make, and how the rest of our guys improve), but sooner or later we'd re-tool and be fine.
    I completely disagree. People forget how difficult it is to win an NBA Title. Reggie played 17 seasons and only made the Finals once and never won it so I disagree. Ron is our key for an NBA Title run and unless we get a Kevin Garnett or a Tracy McGrady, there really is no replacement for Ron.

Mood

Yep. We're done. No one will ever win a title without Artest. We had clearly no shot at a title any of Reggie's years.

Screw it, I'm not getting in this stupid circular dialog again.

XXSASSXX31

Yep. We're done. No one will ever win a title without Artest. We had clearly no shot at a title any of Reggie's years.

Screw it, I'm not getting in this stupid circular dialog again.
    Championships are hard to come by, especially for small market teams. Ron makes only 5 million/year and he is a top 10 player and can be MVP in this league. There is no replacement for Ron, and why set back our team for a couple of seasons which is your notion? What if J.O. gets a season ending injury in a couple of seasons?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I don't want to trade Ron, but the thought of the heckling he WILL UNDOUBTEDLY be getting next season and probably after that aswell makes me cringe a bit.

I have always liked Marion's game. Some have called him unsuited for our style of play. I disagree with that, but he would be one of the few ones I would trade for Ron and Scott.

I don't want Allen simply because he would be playing at SJax's natural position, leading to SJax starting at SF where he is decent, certainly, but not what he can be at SG. I want a SF or a quality big man in return. IF the latter scenario should happen than other trades are bound to follow to fill in the SF spot adequately and we would, I think, likely trade atleast another of our centers and maybe a future pick for that SF starter.

Whatever happens when the draft comes around this year we better pick up a a PG or if REALLY needbe a SF(which would be a sign Ron would be gone later in the season/summer prob.).

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Might all be true, but WHY were we in there "with as good a shot as ever for the ring"?

Time to REALLY stop this discussion! Hicks just laid down a scenario with the basic ground assumption that we WILL trade Ron. Lets keep the other stuff out of it. We trade Ron, question is for whom?

Regards,

Mourning

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Might all be true, but WHY were we in there "with as good a shot as ever for the ring"?

Time to REALLY stop this discussion! Hicks just laid down a scenario with the basic ground assumption that we WILL trade Ron. Lets keep the other stuff out of it. We trade Ron, question is for whom?

Regards,

Mourning
    Very good point, I'll edit and rephrase.

As for the second part, you're right I just couldn't help myself.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Or even Ron + Scot + Jeff/Fred (guys with decent contracts and are 'in-demand' throughout the league.)

I see a three-for-two deal or four-for-two type of deal.
    Do Not Trade Freddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Do Not Trade Freddie.
    I'll second that
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think we could get a big for Ron and Scott that would be as talented as Ron is. Decent bigs are much harder to find than SG's & SF's. I looked over a few teams and I didn't see anyone that we could get for him that made me say do it. The only thing that came close was Ron for Terry and Daniels from Dallas, but that was a reach in itself.

Do Not Trade Freddie.
    Depends on what we will get back. I like him a lot, but he's not "untradeable" to me.

Regards,

Mourning

Do Not Trade Freddie.
    Well, that cuts it, we can't trade Freddie. Tim fell off the face of the world for 6 months after we traded Al. He can't handle such trauma again.