Thread: How deep IS the next draft?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default How deep IS the next draft?

Everyone is starting to talk as if losing the last playoff spot and getting the 14th draft pick (because anyone counting on us moving up is dreaming in the same way as anyone still counting on us getting to the Finals) would be a positive event.

Unfortunately, I haven't noticed recent drafts being much deeper than about 5 to 7 for immediate impact players.

I also don't follow college hoops (and certainly national High School hoops) enough to know how deep the draft is likely to be.

So, can someone tell me why a 14th draft pick would be someone other than Yet Another Project?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Default Re: How deep IS the next draft?

Well, we got Fred Jones at #14. We got Tinsley at #27. The opportunity to get another 14 or higher isn't that bad of an idea.

I just posted similar thoughts elsewhere.

Personally, I think beyond a few guys with good potential (read: those ACC kids), I don't think there's much out there. Plus, if you take into consideration that the CBA, which would start right after the draft, may very well nix HS'ers, I think we're gonna see a mass exodus, akin to last year. If that's the case, there could very well be some sleepers available later, like Harrison.

But then, the thought of Sean May in a Pacers jersey warms my heart. I'd have to rethink my getting season tickets. Wouldn't want to miss all the IU'ers squirming in their seats.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I guess what I'm saying is that the talk seems to be that getting a draft pick would be better than getting playoff experience for guys who now are no longer playing garbage time minutes. To me, that means the person we get needs to have an immediate impact, particularly with the talk of dumping Ron for a potsticker and fried rice.

To me, our guys who are putting in huge backup minutes now would really benefit from the playoffs, since their minutes were fairly limited last year.

I just don't see a player who would be available to us who makes the draft at 14 better than the draft at 15.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess what I'm saying is that the talk seems to be that getting a draft pick would be better than getting playoff experience for guys who now are no longer playing garbage time minutes. To me, that means the person we get needs to have an immediate impact, particularly with the talk of dumping Ron for a potsticker and fried rice.

To me, our guys who are putting in huge backup minutes now would really benefit from the playoffs, since their minutes were fairly limited last year.

I just don't see a player who would be available to us who makes the draft at 14 better than the draft at 15.
    I agree. I've said the same elsewhere.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Would you be terribly upset if we smack you guys in the head with a brick if whomever in the East ends up #9 gets a top 5 pick?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

If we're in the lottery, Stern will make sure our ping-pong balls are filled with lead, or sand, or some other material that keeps them at the bottom.

I see no chance of us moving into the top-three. And if we don't move into the top-three, our position doesn't change, right?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    If we're in the lottery, Stern will make sure our ping-pong balls are filled with lead, or sand, or some other material that keeps them at the bottom.

I see no chance of us moving into the top-three. And if we don't move into the top-three, our position doesn't change, right?
    What he said.

As I said, I have no faith at all that we would move up in the lottery, and changing strategy to de-emphasize making the playoffs because we might move up just makes no sense.

If we fail to make the playoffs anyway, so be it. I'd like to see us stick to a strategy geared to at least try to get there.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Would you be terribly upset if we smack you guys in the head with a brick if whomever in the East ends up #9 gets a top 5 pick?
    Well, it's either a top 3 pick, or nothing. If two western teams were to finish with better records than #9 in the East, as it is now, that means it's like a 3% chance to get picked. In other words, if they did a drawing a 100 times, on average we would get picked 3 times. And that's before you factor in our "curse", as Tony Mejia at CBS has labeled it.

Thanks, but I'd rather have 4+ games of playoff experience for David and the Joneses.

Even if we got a high pick, what are we gonna do, play Chris Paul instead of Tinsley, or Sean May instead of Jermaine? No thanks.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Right now we have the 12th pick, I'd love to see the Pacers get UNC PG Raymond Felton.