Thread: Exactly what is it that we're playing for now?

Default Exactly what is it that we're playing for now?

I mean I don't really understand. As the team stands now, what are we playing for exactly? Is there some parting gift you get if you make the playoffs? I think everyone in their right mind knows that even if we make the playoffs that we're not going to make it very far.

Should we give up? No, probably not. But why is it so important for us to make the playoffs? what does it do for this team?

All this talk of what if we get Ron back, what if Tins comes back, what if JO comes back? What good will it really do?

Is this team going to win a championship this year?

Default Re: Exactly what is it that we're playing for now?

Every game you play to win. That is exactly what they are playing for. As soon as I determine they are playing for something other than that is the day I stop buying tickets.

The players should only be thinking about winning tonight. simple as that

oh I Donno...to win maybe? you get paid millions. I don't care if you play with high school kids. (benders damn close)...you better friggin try or i'm going to stop wasting my money on seeing you play.

Quote Originally Posted by JOneal7
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    oh I Donno...to win maybe? you get paid millions. I don't care if you play with high school kids. (benders damn close)...you better friggin try or i'm going to stop wasting my money on seeing you play.
    I thought you already did?......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Ok, fair enough, definitely the reponse I thought I would get. What's the ultimate goal of winning these games? It's to win a championship correct? Yes you play to win, and when you do win game after game what sense of fullfillment to you get as a player knowing that it doesn't get you anywhere? that you know that there's no chance that you're going to do anything even if oyu get to the playoffs?

So now I'm probably going to be asked what about the teams that have their teams intact and know they're not going to make the playoffs? Why do they keep going? What motivates them?

I think that they at least know that they can still come together as a team and get better. Where do we fall into that catagory? Please keep in mind that I'm talking about this year, a very good team that has been plagued by suspensions and injuries.

I think we play to get into the playoffs so we can get experiance for guys like JJ, Hulk, and Freddie. Never underestimate the value of playoff experiance! It will benefit us greatly next year on our way to the Championship!

Watching this season so full of expectations go down the tubes does hurt, but what the heck can you do? Might as well deal with it.

Let me put on my sammy sunshine glasses.

What we have here is a win/win situation.

If we make the playoffs some of the young guys get playoff experience and anything positive that happens in terms of wins is an unexpected bonus.

On the other hand, if we don't make the playoffs, the chances of the P's adding a productive player in the draft increase greatly or we have another weapon in our arsenal should we want to work a trade that will make us better next year.

Time to begin studying mock drafts?

As has been said, we still need to make every effort to make the playoffs. Look at how important the Philly and NJ series were for our young guys. The Boston series, not so much, though.

Anyway, so far I think this year's draft is crap. There's only a couple of guys that have lottery talent, but, like last year, maybe there will be sleepers like Harrison around for the taking later because of the mass exodus of HS'ers (this being their last chance, and all.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I said this yesterday, but our draft position won't be that much different if we're #8 and in the playoffs or #9 and out of the playoffs.

So I'll take the playoffs and the experience for Fred, David, JJ, etc.

Its always better to make the playoffs than miss them.

You can still study the mock drafts, because you'll be looking at the same pool of talent either way.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

We should definitely be trying to make the playoffs. If we miss, it will only be by a spot, and the difference in draft picks at that point is marginal at best.

I would like the #4-6 seed. If we get Ron, plus a healthy JO/Tins back in time, anything can happen, and it would be nice to have a "warm-up round" to get back into the flow before facing Detroit/Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    We should definitely be trying to make the playoffs. If we miss, it will only be by a spot, and the difference in draft picks at that point is marginal at best.

I would like the #4-6 seed. If we get Ron, plus a healthy JO/Tins back in time, anything can happen, and it would be nice to have a "warm-up round" to get back into the flow before facing Detroit/Miami.
    A show of hands. Who REALLY thinks that this is going to happen? I know who WANTS this to happen, but who really thinks that it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    A show of hands. Who REALLY thinks that this is going to happen? I know who WANTS this to happen, but who really thinks that it is?

eak:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I thought you already did?......
    stopped giving it to conseco fieldhouse magic...I mean I still see them in atlanta, orlando and miami. So I still give my money to the pacers somehow to watch them play.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

No, you gave your money to either (1) the Hawks, Magic or Heat; or most likely (2) some scalper or ticket holder who previously gave his/her money to the Hawks, Magic or Heat.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    So now I'm probably going to be asked what about the teams that have their teams intact and know they're not going to make the playoffs? Why do they keep going? What motivates them?
    Well . . . the millions of dollars you get paid to your job would be a start.

As far as playoffs go, yes it's important to make the playoffs. I can only speak for myself but to MAKE the playoffs after all we've been through would be a pretty good accomplishment in my book.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

ReggieMiller8325

We are playing for our team and just hoping ron comes back we are trying to give uncle reggie a championship.