Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking ahead.....

Sports Logo

Default Re: Looking ahead.....

I am pretty convinced that the Pacers should take the money they saved on Ron and put it towards buying out Cro. I like Cro but it is clear he will never be a starter here for more than a couple of games and he needs pt to be effective.

Pollard will be traded next year along with possibly Croshere. Pollard has one
    year and Croshere 2 years left. Edwards will be gone. The Pacers will have Dale next year and a first round pick who will be a good player. That pick will probably be a point guard or a forward type. Hakim Warrick would replace
    Croshere or back up the small forward. He will probably be gone at the Pacers pick. There are several good point guards available. The Pacers desparately
    need a back up point that is similar to Tinsley in his ability to pass the ball.
    Pacers

owl

There is something about JJ that I like a lot. It's more of an intangible than anything else, and in that respect he reminds me of a less skilled but still talented Derek McKey. I think he has a chance to be a solid NBA player for a long time, and possibly a very good player if he continues to improve. I don't think you can count on Bender for anything, and the next Artest implosion is only a matter of time. Either way, without Reggie, it would nice to have a 3pt shooter off the bench that can stretch the defense.

I think there will be some roster juggling this summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes in that takes JJ's slot.

That said, the brass is really high on him, or at least they were until he curled up into a ball. But I'm not gonna make any predictions about what the Pacers will do until I see the new CBA, provided there is one.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even if Ron's with the team, we still need a starting-caliber SF to take the minutes whenever he melts down.

I don't think JJ is that guy, but he might still be part of the plans as a "third SF."

Either way, we're going to be in the market for a starting caliber SF to either replace Ron via a trade or just replace Ron during the stretches in which he's benched, distracted, suspended, etc.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I'd keep JJ at a reasonable price, assuming it doesn't affect our ability to re-sign, say, Dale. He's expendable, but he's a decent back-up, so I could live with it either way. I'd like to see him back in a Pacers uni next year.

As long as he's the 2nd to last priority on our "to sign" list, Edwards being dead last, I'm happy to keep him. Just make sure we have Dale signed first. If we screw that up over Jimmy I will be pissed.

I would not be surprised if James bails to the Heat. That's his home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Edwards being dead last, I'm happy to keep him.
    For a second there, I thought you were saying you'd be happy to keep the Senator.

Anyway, this is why I want to see details on the CBA. Could very well open the door for a team like Miami to take JJ.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    As for the other players, I think the status of each player this summer is:
    JO - starter
    DD - starter
    Artest - starter
    SJax - starter
    Tinsley - starter
    FJones - 1st backcourt player off bench (some PT at 3)
    Foster - 1st big off bench
    Harrison - backup
    Croshere - backup
    JJones - backup
    Draft pick #1

Pollard - trade bait (final contract year)
    Bender - trade bait (2 yrs remaining on contract)
    AJ - trade bait only if FJones extends contract

Gill - gone
    Edwards - gone
    Reggie - retired

The question in my mind is who among the primary players that I've listed will also be gone before next season.
    I imagine Donnie and Larry have been around the block enough times to know that a tiger doesn't change its stripes. And of course there's the old adage: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me." Meaning, if Ron is here next year, I'd be quite surprised. They may try to keep him for the first half of the season to boost his trade value, which would be foolish in my opinion, but if they packaged him with one of the above players you mentioned, we might be able to make a decent trade in the off-season. What would be ideal is if Stern let Ron back at some point this season so we could ship him out immediately following the playoffs when his trade value is on the uptick.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    -snip-
    What would be ideal is if Stern let Ron back at some point this season so we could ship him out immediately following the playoffs when his trade value is on the uptick.
    If JO is going to miss the rest of the season, believe it or not I'd be fine with this scenario.

I just fear, given the rapidly detiorating relationship between JO and Ron even prior to the brawl, putting them back on the court together ever again.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The best thing to do with Croshere is ride out his contract. Same with Bender.

In just two summers each becomes a valued expiring contract.

The last thing the Pacers should do is renegotiate a long term deal with Austin where he winds up with five million a year until be becomes totally bald.

If Bender has any future value, which I think his knees will not allow, it is as the backup for Jermaine. He is the one guy on our roster, in addition to maybe Harrison, who could eventually have an offensive presence in the post.

Keep James Jones if he can be signed for less than a million. He is a solid third string small forward whose game will keep improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I think there will be some roster juggling this summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes in that takes JJ's slot.

That said, the brass is really high on him, or at least they were until he curled up into a ball. But I'm not gonna make any predictions about what the Pacers will do until I see the new CBA, provided there is one.
    You need to look at his stats of late............

The problem that I see is that the Pacers have become a team of way to many "ifs" when it comes to their roster.

... IF Ron is still here or IF Ron can be traded
    ... IF Pollard doesn't retire due to his aching back
    ... IF Bender is (ever) healthy or IF Bender can be traded
    ... IF Tinsley can (ever) play healthy the 2nd half of a season.
    ... IF Freddie can be signed to an extension
    ... IF JJ can be re-signed knowing he will not see many minutes
    ... IF DD can be re-signed

We have 15 guys with Curry gone. Reggie will retire and Edwards and Gill should be gone. Pollard could very easily retire due to his back problems. JJ could be gone since teams are always looking to add excellent perimeter shooting and a decent defender, especially when they don't have to pay much to get it.

I'm assuming that Pollard's contract could be traded, even if he does retire. Otherwise we are down to 10 players, or even 9 if you don't count Bender.

And even worse, in that scenario, even if we wanted to trade Artest, we may not have much to package him with unless we wanted to further break up our core of 7-8 players.

I'm assuming that Dale is willing to re-sign ith the team. I'd also like to think that Freddie can be signed to the extension and that JJ will re-sign as well. That would go a long way in resolving the "IFs".

I think JJ will be resigned unless somebody offers him some crazy money that we wouldn't dare match. If he does go elsewhere though I think we could get a very good SF in the draft (Ryan Gomes, Joey Graham). Ron isn't going anywhere because there is no way we could ever get anything near equal value for him. Giving us a SF rotation of RA/Jax/JJ or draft pick

DD will resign and Pollard will be traded. C rotation of DD/Jeff/Hulk

Cro isn't going anywhere until next year when he's on the last year of his contract. PF rotation of JO/Cro/DD/Bender

We are solid at SG with a rotation of Jax/FJ/RA

I also think we are solid at PG even with Tinsley's questionable health. I would like to see AJ traded but I don't think that will ahppen because nobody will take the 3 years left on his deal unless we could package him with Polly for another PG or a pick that becomes a PG. I think the writing is on the wall for him if Freddie continues to improve as a backup PG. He may be bought out if nobody will take him. I think that Freddie will make a fine backup PG. PG rotation would be Tins/FJ/AJ or draft pick or free agent

Edwards and Gill are goners.

That's the way I see it.

Gill, Edwards, and Miller will be gone.

We should really try to trade Johnson, Bender, Pollard, and even Croshere if we can. Trade them for picks, likely second-round picks. (I know they can't all leave, but a Bender/Pollard package for a pick is possible)

Extend Fred, and re-sign James if it is at the right price. If not, no big loss.

Since there is no player currently in the NBA that brings what Ron does to the court, and is attainable, the Pacer's really need to hit the draft hard for SF's from here on out. Eventually, even if it takes a few years, we will find a replacement, and ship him out. I don't like the idea of trading him for a pick however, as it is risky, and even if it works, delays us from contending another year, as we wait for the rook to gain experience.

Sign a vet back-up PG if we can. If not, let Fred take over.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I agree that JJ will be resigned. He's exactly the kind of guy that the Pacers hold on to -- young and intriguing. How many of those have we let go for nothing over the last 20 years?