Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead.....

Default Looking ahead.....

I think James Jones becomes a restricted free agent this summer, what does everybody think we should do with him?

Is he a keeper or should we let him walk?

If Artest is still here, which is what I believe will happen, then our S.F. spot is R.A. with J.J. as backup?

Jax will probably start at the two guard spot & we all know that when he plays Ron gets about 38-40 min. a game so J.J. would still get limited time.

Fred will cover the backup 2, 3 & even some backup 1.

Do we even wanna consider Bender into this mix?

I guess what I'm saying is do we really want or need to invest any kind of money on James or could we get by with another second round or NBDL forward for real cheap to just get spot min. or even warm the I.R.L., assuming there is room with two of the three spots needing to be reserved for Jon & Jamaal.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Default Re: Looking ahead.....

From the few games I'm able to see of the Pacers on TV every season I have been intrigued by some of the flashes of decent play that JJ has shown this year. He's got decent range and good size for the positions he can play. The one thing I can't really evaluate well is his defense. I haven't seen enough of his play to make a good judgement on this, though what I have seen makes me think that potential for improvement in this area will determine whether he is a keeper or not for this team.

I'm not sure if I can bring myself to even think about Bender much anymore...
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

IMO, James is solid defensively. Not spectacular & not a stopper but solid. Time & coaching will improve him.

However what I didn't get across in my initial post was that I am really wondering if he will be worth any kind of money even if it is just above league min. if all the guy is going to do is get 8 min. a game at most.

If we need an insurance policy & with Ron that is always possible, couldn't we get a rookie or some NBDL guy?

I'm not sure of the answer to this. I like James Jones, but with R.A., Jax & Fred I just wonder if money wouldn't be better spent by just getting someone else for league min. or rookie second round min. & letting James move on?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

_PD_

Anybody have any idea what it would cost to keep him? If it turns out to be a croshere contract, forget it.

He can be a good asset if he'll shoot it, plays decent D especially as a backup, and 10-12 minutes sounds about right. He wasn't even getting that earlier in the season was he?

I don't see any point in including JB in this discussion, until he's healthy.

If we're going to spend any money, shouldn't it be on some PG backup?

Why does everyone forget that John Edwards' contract must be taken care of too!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure of the answer to this. I like James Jones, but with R.A., Jax & Fred I just wonder if money wouldn't be better spent by just getting someone else for league min. or rookie second round min. & letting James move on?
    I like JJ but wouldn't lose any sleep if the Pacers let him move on. The fact that he has actually looked good at times surprised me, but I would rather see the team address areas like backup PG where we are much weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by tseramid
    Why does everyone forget that John Edwards' contract must be taken care of too!
    That's what paper shredders are for...

XXSASSXX31

I love J.J. He is an amazing person and a great basketball player. A guy who can score nearly 30 pts in a game is a keeper and J.J. is a great shooter and we need to keep him.

But as Peck point out, the problem is one of minutes and money. If Ron is back full time next season along with Jax and Freddie (again, I just can't bring myself to think much about JB right now) then JJ is relegated to garbage time at best, and DNP-CDs otherwise. If that's the case it won't make sense to invest money in a player at a position that is deep when there are other needs that should be addressed first.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by BostonConnection
    But as Peck point out, the problem is one of minutes and money. If Ron is back full time next season along with Jax and Freddie (again, I just can't bring myself to think much about JB right now) then JJ is relegated to garbage time at best, and DNP-CDs otherwise. If that's the case it won't make sense to invest money in a player at a position that is deep when there are other needs that should be addressed first.
    Not really, J.J. will get minutes next season now Reggie is retiring even when Ron is back alongside Freddie. Freddie will play backup 2 and J.J. would play backup SF. The only question is whether Bender will be healthy enough to play and that can limit J.J.'s minutes.

Harmonica

Ron, in most likelihood, won't be back next season, so I say we keep and try to develop J.J. The farthest Ron gets with the Pacers next season is the mid-season trade deadline.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Ron, in most likelihood, won't be back next season, so I say we keep and try to develop J.J. The farthest Ron gets with the Pacers next season is the mid-season trade deadline.
    Ron won't be back next season? LOLOLOLOL I love this comedy I hear and I don't mean to label anyone any names but why spout this kind of nonsense which you have no basis for?

Without Ron Artest, we have no hope of an NBA Championship. Ron has a chance to be MVP next season. Ron Artest will be back next season and our coach and players know this.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    Ron won't be back next season? LOLOLOLOL I love this comedy I hear and I don't mean to label anyone any names but why spout this kind of nonsense which you have no basis for?

Without Ron Artest, we have no hope of an NBA Championship. Ron has a chance to be MVP next season. Ron Artest will be back next season and our coach and players know this.
    There will be a team this season that wins the championship without Ron. And Rick would defer to Donnie and Larry if they thought it best to get rid of Ron, which I think is highly likely.

For those that think maybe we should Jones walk because we have Artest, Jackson & F. Jones, let me say this.

As we have seen this year, depth can be very important.

Miller will be out of the picture next season & it looks like some of Fred could be playing at least a little time at the point. Even thou it looks like, on paper, JJ might not get a lot of minutes. I woudn't have a problem with him stepping into a backup role next season, if called upon to.

I like the progress JJ has made & I think he is worth hanging on to. Considering who he might be on the floor with at times next season, his shooting would be very valuable to the club.

You might also consider the time & money wasted on Bender. The front office has no problem in waiting on players they feel are talented, to develope into NBA players.

Finally, I really like looking for the next player to come out of nowhere to make it big. However, I think it would be nice to try to keep the end of the bench guys here, instead of rotating them out every season or two.

Because of the Bender & Croshere contracts I doubt they can, or will, pay him big money. The FA pool will be too strong at his position next season anyway.
    I'd hope they give him a couple more years at a reasonable price & spend their energy looking at upgrading the backup point guard position.

CB had this to say about "JJ" in a recent QOD:

It's safe to assume both Joneses will be a part of the team's future. The Pacers can negotiate an extension for Fred Jones during the summer of 2005, and there's every reason to believe that will get done because the Pacers don't want to lose him to free agency. The same is true for James Jones, although it remains to be seen how the depth chart at small forward will sort out when Ron Artest returns.
    He would most likely stay even if offered the min is my personal guess, few places he would be better of then here

At around or close to that amount I certailny say keep him, why not develop something promising a little further before you try and find something else that takes a few years to develop?
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Personally, I like JJ - but I don't see much about him that makes me think he's worth much more than the league min. That said, I don't see him getting more money anywhere else, and I like having him on the squad. Heck of a late second round pick up from where I'm standing. Cheers, Donnie.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

I think we keep him. He already knows the system which is pretty valuable and it should cost much to resign him. When is Pollard's contract up and Cros for that matter? We have Bender under contract for a bit right?

I think James Jones becomes a restricted free agent this summer, what does everybody think we should do with him?

Is he a keeper or should we let him walk?

If Artest is still here, which is what I believe will happen, then our S.F. spot is R.A. with J.J. as backup?

Jax will probably start at the two guard spot & we all know that when he plays Ron gets about 38-40 min. a game so J.J. would still get limited time.

Fred will cover the backup 2, 3 & even some backup 1.

Do we even wanna consider Bender into this mix?

I guess what I'm saying is do we really want or need to invest any kind of money on James or could we get by with another second round or NBDL forward for real cheap to just get spot min. or even warm the I.R.L., assuming there is room with two of the three spots needing to be reserved for Jon & Jamaal.

One would have to be absolutely insane to not consider Ron Artest's backup CRUCIAL. IF we keep him. (which I still don't think will happen, no matter what they are saying now)

I think JJ's going to be a keeper. he hasn't shown enough for anyone else to pay him big $. I've seen several coaching staff comments about his strong work ethic. Pacers value that big time. He's come along way in the past year. He won't be a star, but he'll be a solid player, hopefully for us.
    We'll keep him.

I'm very lukewarm on JJ. Good shooter, good rebounder, decent defender. Horrible pass, awful post passer, horrible ball handler. Nice guy who will nevr cause any problems.

He'll never be more than a 8th or 9th man on a good team.

If the price is right I have no problem keeping him, but if he plays a lot that means another bad season

However what I didn't get across in my initial post was that I am really wondering if he will be worth any kind of money even if it is just above league min. if all the guy is going to do is get 8 min. a game at most.
    And that would be 8 x more than what we have been getting from . . . .
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

I say keep him. Unless there is a very very stupid team out there that wants him (Knicks) and would pay him the mid level I think he will be in the 1m range and will be well worth it. Dump Edwards keep JJ.

I am getting pissed off that Edwards is on the team. Actually I should say I am still pissed off that Edwards is on this team. He can provide nothing and we passed up a guy who would be able to give us valuable minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    I say keep him. Unless there is a very very stupid team out there that wants him (Knicks) and would pay him the mid level I think he will be in the 1m range and will be well worth it. Dump Edwards keep JJ.

I am getting pissed off that Edwards is on the team. Actually I should say I am still pissed off that Edwards is on this team. He can provide nothing and we passed up a guy who would be able to give us valuable minutes.

Who did we pass up ?

Sports Logo

Holcomb

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From my perspective, consider Bender's injuries and lack of perimeter defense, I believe that JJ is a much better fit for the needs of the Pacers than is Bender. JJ in his first year is a significantly better man on defender than Bender. And can be retained at a fraction of the price. So, I'd sign him for $700K or less per year for 2 years.

I'd be thinking to extend Freddie this summer, as well as sign Dale to a 2-3 year contract with some/most of the MLE.

Croshere can opt out of his contract, but that would leave over $18M (2 yrs) on the table. So the only way Croshere renogiates or leaves would be if he could get something like $30M for 5 years. If he did that, it would lower his average annual to $6M, making him a much better value to us and in possible trades.

As for the other players, I think the status of each player this summer is:
    JO - starter
    DD - starter
    Artest - starter
    SJax - starter
    Tinsley - starter
    FJones - 1st backcourt player off bench (some PT at 3)
    Foster - 1st big off bench
    Harrison - backup
    Croshere - backup
    JJones - backup
    Draft pick #1

Pollard - trade bait (final contract year)
    Bender - trade bait (2 yrs remaining on contract)
    AJ - trade bait only if FJones extends contract

Gill - gone
    Edwards - gone
    Reggie - retired

The question in my mind is who among the primary players that I've listed will also be gone before next season.