Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had no idea this was ever publicized.

But I can confirm its authenticity.

Quote Originally Posted by Montieth
    "Then he turned to Heisley and said something along the lines of "There, you happy now?"
    Somthing along the lines of equals:
    "There's your ****ing free agent."
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Seriously, I'd have a hard time rooting for the Pacers if they got Cardinal. He's one of my all-time least favorite players.
    And for the alternate opinion:

If the Pacers got Cardinal Kegboy would actually start paying attention to the Pacers again. He might even consider going to a game or two.

That is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    How big are Jerry West's balls? Mark Montieth of the Indianapolis Star presents evidence:
    An exceptionally well-connected league insider once told me the story of how Brian Cardinal got his mid-level. Seems Memphis owner Michael Heisley, frustrated by general manager Jerry West's lack of activity, walked into West's office one day and asked why he hadn't signed anyone yet. So an exasperated West picked up his phone, called Cardinal's agent and offered the mid-level on the spot. Then he turned to Heisley and said something along the lines of "There, you happy now?"
    And you wonder why Memphis is having a hard time getting behind its NBA team.

http://www.aolnews.com/2007/07/04/br...act-explained/

There was another admin on this board?

I thought there were only Hicks, Shade, Roaming Gnome, Unclebuck, Peck, Able, and ChicagoJ.

What happened to kerosene?
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Why do you come on here and insult Pacers fans? Diehard, fair weather/casual. I don't care. They're still fans. Considering you're a Bucks fan, I don't get why you feel like you can come on here and talk **** about people's fanhood.

Kegboy will come back around soon. As will this city. Sounds like my employees. They resemble what this city's fanbase is looked at and that's fair weather. They said they used to follow the Pacers nonstop when they had Reggie and also making the playoffs every season and didn't really pay much attention to the Colts during that time period. Now that we've sucked for years and the Colts became Indy's team during that period, everyone hopped on their badwagon. Now it looks like it's reversing. Peyton doesn't have many years in the tank and let's face it, without him the Colts are nothing. With the Pacers making the playoffs and doing some good stuff there, it's a great positive Pacers basketball is back.

Everyone's on the fringe of officially hopping back on board and more tickets will be sold and the attendance will shoot up next season. It's an obvious prediction considering how much popularity the Pacers have gained when they made the playoffs. TV ratings went up a lot and people whipping out retro and modern Pacers gear and wearing it around and less Colts ****.

Times are changing here in Indy.

I don't know what the case is in Milwaukee, but the Bucks are a ******, old team with overpaid garbage and the Bradley Center has got to be the worst arena I've ever been to. However, Miller Park is great as are the Brewers so far this season.
    Oy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just don't know your forum history do you?

While your enthusiasm is commendable your ire is wrongly directed here. Grace is no more a Bucks fan than I am Clippers fan. She, like myself, like's their coach.

Also if she wants to insult her Brother think that is probably ok as well. You do know that they are brother and sister right?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Oy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just don't know your forum history do you?

While your enthusiasm is commendable your ire is wrongly directed here. Grace is no more a Bucks fan than I am Clippers fan. She, like myself, like's their coach.

Also if she wants to insult her Brother think that is probably ok as well. You do know that they are brother and sister right?
    ......AWKWARD!

Oh boy do I feel like an idiot.

I still stand by my prediction however.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    There was another admin on this board?

I thought there were only Hicks, Shade, Roaming Gnome, Unclebuck, Peck, Able, and ChicagoJ.

What happened to kerosene?
    Actually Kerosene was one of the original three admins. Gnome, Buck, Able, Chicago J & myself all came later.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

kerosene just stopped showing up a few years ago. He'd already gotten busy/quiet before then, but he hasn't even logged in since 2008.

Sports Logo

That Cardinal signing is a pretty funny story, but wow, makes me think less of West's GM'ing abilities. Signing a guy to an AWFUL contract for spite?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That Cardinal signing is a pretty funny story, but wow, makes me think less of West's GM'ing abilities. Signing a guy to an AWFUL contract for spite?
    Didn't West give Gasol away to the Lakers? I think that may have been one of the worst moves in the last decade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Give?" They got Marc Gasol in return, and enough cap relief to take on Zach Randolph for Q-rich and a bag of doritos.

That's a bad deal?

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    "Give?" They got Marc Gasol in return, and enough cap relief to take on Zach Randolph for Q-rich and a bag of doritos.

That's a bad deal?
    Theres no way they could've known that Marc would be this good with that second round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Theres no way they could've known that Marc would be this good with that second round pick.
    So because they couldn't have known that, it is still a bad deal?

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

I had no idea this was ever publicized.

I 1st heard this story years ago on another forum. I thought it was as funny then as I do today.

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    That's my point. The fact they lucked out doesn't mean it was a smart move. At the time, it was an indefensible move IMHO.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Cardinal's story is an amazing one. Who would ever of thought when he played at Purdue he would have a long NBA career? I think most thought as I did that he had next to no chance of making a roster that first year out of Purdue. I am glad for him, an average college player that some how made it.
    Last edited by PacerHound; 06-18-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: grammar omission

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerHound For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerHound View Post
    Cardinal's story is an amazing one. Who would ever of thought when he played at Purdue he would have a long NBA career? I think most thought as I did that he had next to no chance of making a roster that first year out of Purdue. I am glad for him, an average college player that some how made it.
    I think he's been in the league for 11 years. Wow, he's going to have a pension plan from the NBA that entitles him to $195,000 a year. Crazy.

...an average college player that some how made it.
    come on, let's not completely undersell his abilities

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post

come on, let's not completely undersell his abilities

He was a typical Keady blue collar overachiever. I never felt Brad Miller would make it in the NBA either. When 1 looks back at Keady players, he got few Mr. Basketball players, but produced a winning program with what I always referred to as bluecollar overachievers. That's why I felt he was a good coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    That's my point. The fact they lucked out doesn't mean it was a smart move. At the time, it was an indefensible move IMHO.

History is the ultimate judge and history will show that the move worked out pretty darn well for them. They had already maxed out with Paul and weren't going anywhere with him. At the very least, the deal they got was guaranteed to clear up some major cap space for them. It ended up working out even better with the emergence of Marc Gasol.

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    History is the ultimate judge and history will show that the move worked out pretty darn well for them. They had already maxed out with Paul and weren't going anywhere with him. At the very least, the deal they got was guaranteed to clear up some major cap space for them. It ended up working out even better with the emergence of Marc Gasol.
    Sure, it worked out well for him. Nobody disagrees with that. But it's proof that being lucky is sometimes much better than being smart. IOW, a lucky move is not necessarily smart.

GM's who make trades and pick up unproven, second round picks that turn into double double franchise centers from the get-go are very few. So few that it always involves a lot of luck. Here in Indy we felt very fortunate to pick Roy Hibbert in the first round yet he's not even close to as good as Gasol who was picked well into the second round. You should look at Gasol's numbers. Way, way better than Roy.

Combine this with Zach's emergence and it gets ridiculous. Everyone knew Zach was talented but nobody thought he would play so well in the playoffs. Instead, people didn't want Zach for the cancer factor. Now he looks better than anytime in his career by a solid notch. He may be the second best PF in the game right now. Instead of being in prison due to a drug related incident, he may be in the all-star game. If that's not luck, I'm not sure what is.

Gotta Play Big

I knew Cardinal had a decent chance because in some ways he played better than Brad Miller. If Miller was an all-star C, I was pretty convinced Cardinal could get a long term pay check. He was always a scrappy tough guy so I saw a decent bench player who could come in and hit an occasional 3. He is about what I expected.

That's a bad deal?
    It wasn't a good deal when it was made. Marc Gasol wasn't shopped around and like was said, his brother was a second rounder. I still think West's primary objective in that trade was to help the Lakers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They turned a disgruntled Pau Gasol into Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. It was a great deal for them. Case closed.

This is getting silly. Come up with your jaded conspiracy theories elsewhere.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-18-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Gotta Play Big

They turned a disgruntled Pau Gasol into Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. It was a great deal for them. Case closed.

This is getting silly. Come up with your jaded conspiracy theories elsewhere.
    I don't claim to know why West traded his All Star C to the Lakers (his former team) for a second round pick and cap space...but if there were such a thing as a conspiracy (apparently some people think that word shouldn't even exist)...this might be one. Anyway...I thought this info posted earlier this month might be interesting:

Arthur "Art" Boyd is on trial in Indianapolis and is being charged with marijuana possession with intent to distribute. He was arrested in Zach Randolph's car, was residing at Zach Randolph's house, had receipts for storage facilities under Zach's name that contained traces of marijuana in the cars stored there and the affadavit for probable cause in his arrest named Zach as a figure suspected of being a major supplier of marijuana in Indianapolis.

Who knows. Maybe anyone accused of distributing marijuana has to be innocent because certainly nobody distributes marijuana. It's just a conspiracy theory you know........