Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dumbing down of Pacers Digest

Hybrid View

Default The dumbing down of Pacers Digest

I am wondering whether there can be a new-thread per day limit imposed on posters as it now appears that the board is plunging into an adolescent nightmare.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The dumbing down of Pacers Digest

Quote Originally Posted by abington
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am wondering whether there can be a new-thread per day limit imposed on posters as it now appears that the board is plunging into an adolescent nightmare.
    Well, we HAD a kiddie board for this kind of thing...where did it go?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    yeah i Know. this is absolutley insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I think you have to do something bad, which doesn't include dozens of meaningless threads.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I agree 100%, I remember when I first was introduced to Basketball boards and I started with ESPN boards. You could always tell when school let out. This kind of reminds me of that.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    I agree 100%, I remember when I first was introduced to Basketball boards and I started with ESPN boards. You could always tell when school let out. This kind of reminds me of that.

I haven't finished reading the thread yet so maybe someone has reminded people about the ignore list. Mine's actually getting quite large. I wonder if there's a limit to now many people can be listed.

According to kerosene I shouldn't be so emotional about the board that I need to use the ignore list. I gues I'm just a pysco.

Quote Originally Posted by grace

I haven't finished reading the thread yet so maybe someone has reminded people about the ignore list. Mine's actually getting quite large. I wonder if there's a limit to now many people can be listed.

According to kerosene I shouldn't be so emotional about the board that I need to use the ignore list. I gues I'm just a pysco.
    hey! where did i say that? i don't think i've ever replied anything like that to you. i haven't had time to drink lately either so i don't think it was that. besides, i'm not the "use the ignore list" admin, that's some one else

while we want to maintain an environment where high quality discussion can take place without many of the usual message board turn-offs there is also a concern about having an elitist attitude which is also a turn off. lately it seems like the discussion on this has come to the fore as some different ideas have been tried out. behind the scenes, without getting specific, there is not always agreement on what should be done but everyone is willing to give something a try to at least see if it can work. i think everyone knows that Hicks and the rest of the PD gang is trying to do the right thing; to find a working solution to our problems. suggestions are welcome; in fact some have been tried out, others have at least been discussed.

at the very least we're approachable and everyone will listen to your concerns or suggestions and bring them up on the admin board. if you don't want to do this publically, pm one of us. this ain't no vanity project, real work and energy goes into PD and it's for all of you. suggestions, comments and sending cartons of strawberry cheesecake ice cream is encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by abington
    and you are?
    100 some posts and your telling the board what should go on?
    fall back...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This thread is well-meaning but probably not a good idea.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

teY dennaB toN

As I'm certain that this will start something and probably will be deleted or moved, I can see where the poster is coming from. But you're right, probably not the best of ideas and I shouldn't have replied fueling it anymore than it needed to be.

Apologies.

If you have a problem with anyone, please use the ignore feature. I'm also looking into finding a hack/mod (Sauce/able can you help?) that will make this forum's ignore function more like the one on the past software (bbBoard, the one we used before this one). That one, instead of showing the ignored users' post as "Blank is on your ignore list. Click to see this post.", simply removed the post altogether as if it were not there. I know this board can handle that, so I'm betting there's a mod out there to make it do that. That way everyone can read/see what they want.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Alright fine, I will for the first time break out the ignore feature. The miscreants have won. Every time we finally abolish immaturity from our ranks we seem to forget why we got rid of it in the first place. And here we are. I agree, I can just ignore what I do not want to read. However I fear that the latest revival of the children is going to ward off any productive posters who discover PD for the first time.

They will see lots of posts with lots of "X's" and numbers under them and proceed to move on.

sweabs

It's not so much an emotional thing, as it is annoying. Having to scroll through some of the stuff is just garbage. The ignore list makes that scrolling a lot less tedious on the precious index finger though

woman without a team

Hicks, when we get that new improved ignore will it make it so I can't see the the people I ignore quoted?

Sass, I don't happen to enjoy your posts so I assume you are labeling me a hater. Since I've been a Pacer fan longer than you've been live I find that rather insulting.

Hicks, how soon are we getting that new ignore thing?

XXSASSXX31

Hicks, when we get that new improved ignore will it make it so I can't see the the people I ignore quoted?

Sass, I don't happen to enjoy your posts so I assume you are labeling me a hater. Since I've been a Pacer fan longer than you've been live I find that rather insulting.

Nope, I never labeled you as a hater. Only a certain member. Hate me all you want....as Reggie Miller says..."I love Being The Enemy". LOL.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    Nope, I never labeled you as a hater. Only a certain member. Hate me all you want....as Reggie Miller says..."I love Being The Enemy". LOL.
    Why Hicks!!!!!! Why!!!!!!

"Haters" "LOL"

C'mon. For the Love of God.

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

grace, it probably won't exclude quotes. And there's not a timetable because it may or may not exist right now.

As far as I can tell, I've started a grand total of 153 posts here over the past two seasons.

The last thread I started on the topic of Ron Artest was shortly after he quit on the team/ was benched for two games in November.

That's right, I haven't started a single thread about Artest since the brawl (although I've posted articles about the brawl but that's not the same thing.)

Have I responded with my opinion on the subject? Yes. Every single time its brought up? No. More than I should? Maybe, maybe not. I've had feedback (from Pacers fans upset with the team) telling me to "keep preaching it" and out of respect for some of good on-line friends I've also submitted to thier requests to "back-off" at times.

But its certainly true that I'm not starting new threads all the time about last November's news. It seems to me that's what people are complaining about.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    As far as I can tell, I've started a grand total of 153 posts here over the past two seasons.

The last thread I started on the topic of Ron Artest was shortly after he quit on the team/ was benched for two games in November.

That's right, I haven't started a single thread about Artest since the brawl (although I've posted articles about the brawl but that's not the same thing.)

Have I responded with my opinion on the subject? Yes. Every single time its brought up? No. More than I should? Maybe, maybe not. I've had feedback (from Pacers fans upset with the team) telling me to "keep preaching it" and out of respect for some of good on-line friends I've also submitted to thier requests to "back-off" at times.

But its certainly true that I'm not starting new threads all the time about last November's news. It seems to me that's what people are complaining about.
    Remember that recent poll we had on this forum? Would you support Ron Artest if he came back. Weren't you one of 8 members or so that would not support his return while everyone else would? Give me a break...you may have a couple of supporters but that's it.....you can all fit in a minivan.

Harmonica

Remember that recent poll we had on this forum? Would you support Ron Artest if he came back. Weren't you one of 8 members or so that would not support his return while everyone else would? Give me a break...you may have a couple of supporters but that's it.....you can all fit in a minivan.
    That poll was pretty extreme. It certainly wasn't a fair representation of how most people really feel about Ron, one way or another. Where you go off the rails, my friend, is that even Ron's supporters here for the most part respect Jay's opinions about Ron. It's what's is called having a civil debate. When it digresses into name-calling ("Hater, hater, nee-ner, nee-ner, nee-ner"), it's an indication of a weak cause and a shortcut to thinking. I imagine had Ron trampled a small child on his way to assaulting the wrong person, you'd no doubt still support him.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    That poll was pretty extreme. It certainly wasn't a fair representation of how most people really feel about Ron, one way or another. Where you go off the rails, my friend, is that even Ron's supporters here for the most part respect Jay's opinions about Ron. It's what's is called having a civil debate. When it digresses into name-calling ("Hater, hater, nee-ner, nee-ner, nee-ner"), it's an indication of a weak cause and a shortcut to thinking. I imagine had Ron trampled a small child on his way to assaulting the wrong person, you'd no doubt still support him.
    It was a very fair accurate poll, and I remember in the post Jay had said it was a fair representation of viewpoints. It was far from an "extreme" view. You may not like the results so you resort to call it "extreme" but most active forum members participated in the poll.

Yeah, and how many people didn't vote either way on that poll because it callled Ron a "nutjob."

Polls with two extreme choices are statistically incapable of providing a true gauge of the board's general sentiments. Stryder can finish this discussion far more eloquently than I can.

You always do an interesting job of shifting the issues around, by the way.

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Yeah, and how many people didn't vote either way on that poll because it callled Ron a "nutjob."

Polls with two extreme choices are statistically incapable of providing a true gauge of the board's general sentiments. Stryder can finish this discussion far more eloquently than I can.

You always do an interesting job of shifting the issues around, by the way.
    Give me a break Jay...you always try to take the validity away of something that you do not like the result of...face it, Ron is a Pacer and will be a Pacer and we Pacer fans love and support him!!!! WE LOVE YOU RONNNIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

WE LOVE YOU RONNNIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good God.

He just couldn't contain himself anymore, it just bursted out of him
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"