Wow...yet another ill - advised throw
Now we've got to suffer through even more of our so - called defense
I'm gonna be a little upset if we don't spend all of our picks for next year on lineman (on both sides).
The only thing worse for Colts fans (as for hearing questions of doubt about the current direction) would be Manning looking great tonight.
Colts look weak in the trenches. Luck has no time and has made questionable decisions as the score and clock has spiraled away. Meanwhile, RGIII has had a great game.
I'm going to get more upset if people continue to judge this team based not only one game but one against a stacked team like the Bears.
Luck has been really shaky on deep passes today. Take your lumps, kid.
Was that a case of not seeing the DB or just another underthrown INT?
That comparison between Manning and Luck's first start... that is jaw dropping.
Hopefully he learns from today that was another horrible pass.
Growing pains galore, but there's always next week.
Luckily I missed the last one, because I was watching if the Saints were going to come back but instead it was Brees throwing an INT...
This game got me thinking about how many years Bill Polian wasted at drafting? last 2 years? last 3?
Why couldn't Tim Jennings play like that when he was here?!
For years as a Colt he was a total disappointment
As for the rest of the game it went like I figured it would well except at the beginning when the Colts first scored that I didn't think would happen but beyond that the rookie mistakes were to be expected.
I think Luck has the potential to be great but we also need to protect him and the O-Line is terrible he won't last long if this keeps up.
Just a side note. RG3 struggled against the Bears earlier in preseason
As i said during all the RG3 bashing earlier, unfair and a bit stupid to base any player based off one game. Nfl seasos is a marathon, not a sprint
Facebook friend took a picture - Manning was sacked 4 times in his debut game. Again, all of this is with a grain of salt.
Alright game over, I refrained from posting during the game, lotta knee-jerk reactions. Lots of points to make:
1) People may not have realized how dinged up we were. We went into that game with a bunch of guys out, and then we *lost* even more as the game went on. Hilton and Collie out hurt bad for us on offense.
2) Don't forget how many rookies we had out there on offense... Brazill, Fleener, Luck, Adams, Ballard... and we also have a number of low-experience 2nd-3rd year guys.
3) The Bears are good. They're a SB contender in my mind. They have a lot of pieces in place. Their defense is quality (better than the Saints, more on that).
4) Was a game on the road.
Now on to the actual game:
- Went as expected. Anyone expecting the Colts to win this game was a little off-base, imo. Would've been a real surprise had we won.
- Our O-Line immediately jumps out at needing work, which I expect they will. I sort of expected a bad showing today, but that unit should gel over the next weeks. They have plenty of motivation to improve and now some real game-tape to look at.
- Anyone who didn't know Joe Lefeged didn't watch last year, he was a good player on ST last year too. Not surprising at all he was making plays out there.
- The pass interference calls in the first half was ridiculous. How many did we have, 5-6? Some of them were very questionable. The rookie refs showed their miscues today, a lot of those should've been nocalls, and some of them should h ave even been called opposite --- offensive PI. It got to a point where I expected a PI call on every Cutler throw. Hell, they marched down the field on their first TD on nuthing but PI calls. It was ridiculous. I believe it robbed the Colts of some early confidence, in the least.
- The first Luck interception was badly called -- should've been encroachment or neutral zone infraction on CHI's defense. That was a huge play, incorrectly called.
- Luck continues to show moxy in the 2-minute drill.
- Speaking of Luck --- almost identical first game to Manning. Showed a lot to me. He is extremely capable of moving the ball, but makes rookie miscues. A few of his passes seemed lazy. These are things I know he'll correct, just like Manning, who's first game was almost identical to Luck's, even made the same mistakes. I loved what I saw out of Luck, mistakes and all. I know he'll be tremendous once everything slows down for him. The "mistakes" I'll credit to Luck were a few careless/ill-advised throws, not putting enough on them when trying to squeeze them into tight places, he'll learn, though. The NFL is faster. I expect his eyes have been opened in that regard, and we'll see more zip on those passes. But still, 300 yards, against this Bears D --- impressive. Hell, he's 1 pass away from having about 340 yards and a 2/2 TD ratio instead of 1/3. Interception in the end zone. And if you discount the lame interception on the play where CHI Defense jumped off-side, he shouldn't have had 3 interceptions...
- Our receivers need to catch the f'n ball. Too many drops. Brown was caught blatantly taking his eyes off the ball a number of times --- can't be doin' that ****.
- I think we'll look better against lesser teams, and I also think we'll improve over the next few weeks. I still think 6 wins is our ceiling. It's easy to get down after a game like todya, but you gotta think... we're very young, a ton of inexperienced guys, so you'll get better week-to-week just by default... and we also will get a few key guys back in the next weeks --- Collie, Hilton, Angerer, etc... That will change things. It won't always look as rough as it looked today... it's not logical to go into Soldier Field against a very good Bears team/defense as a rookie QB throwing to mostly rookie receivers and expect a win.
Luck vs. RG3 --- Wouldn't ya know it. Exactly what I said. 'Skins have a better team, period. Much better o-line, better defense. So of course he looked better and had better stats. If Luck had as much time as RG3 to throw, he woulda had astronomical numbers. Remember Newton had a ridiculous first game and trailed off big-time as the season went on. Don't get sold on RG3 yet, although I do think he'll be a fine QB.... but don't get used to this production. Saints have holes, not as good as Chicago, I saw that coming.