I always figured Tony George would try to weasel his way back in.
I always figured Tony George would try to weasel his way back in.
Some more food for thought.
She's right. If they dick this up, I'm going short tracking and I ain't coming back. There's a lot of people coming with me. My long term plans include taking over USAC, too.
Tony George has resigned from the Hulman and Company Board of Directors. #IndyCar
More as I get it!
Id think resigning would be the first step of any serious indycar purchase negotiations to get rid of any conflict of interest issues.....
That's what the articles are saying. I hope it doesn't come off, but I'm not feeling good about this right now.
Dammit, this sucks.
Kevin Lee @KevinLee23
Thoughts and prayers are with our friend Bob Jenkins. His wife, Pam, lost her long fight w cancer tonight.
What a shame.
IndyCar Series owners have fired CEO Randy Bernard, sources familiar with the situation told IBJ on Friday afternoon.
IndyCar board members and Bernard are currently negotiating a settlement package, sources said.
However, an official for the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway denied that Bernard has been fired.
The denial isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Where there is smoke there is fire.
Miller saw George's removal/resignation from the board as validation they weren't interested in his plan to buy the series. But it's still just as likely in my mind that it was the first step in the process.
I think Bernhard has had some issues, and I think he could benefit greatly with an A2 by his side with real racing experience (whether from behind the wheel or running a team). But compared to what George did with the IRL and the split I can't see how anyone would want to go back.
I've said for a while that the Las Vegas race, the huckster promotion, losing Dan Wheldon, the large field of cars all pack racing, and driver complaints/worries (that went unaddressed) beforehand probably fractured Bernhard's support and opened some questions. But he seemed to learn from it, moving the racing away from pack racing, steering the engineers to come up with ways to run cookie cutter ovals without the pack racing, etc.... So is NOW the time for his ouster??
I wonder if the Hulman-George family and board think Miller has too much influence on Bernhard? Is that feud still ongoing?
If Randy goes, I go.
On non RB note, looks like Simona is finally going to get her chance with some decent equipment.
Simona de Silvestro will join Tony Kanaan at KV Racing Technology for the 2013 IndyCar Series.
Swiss driver de Silvestro, who has spent the past three years with the single-car HVM squad, is expected to make her debut with KV in testing at Barber on Monday.
As well as giving the 24-year-old a team-mate for the first time in her IndyCar career, the deal will also allow de Silvestro access to Chevrolet engines after having been the only driver to run the entire 2012 season with Lotus equipment. She will continue to be backed by Nuclear Clean Air Energy.
Although it was previously believed that there was potential for KV and HVM to work together in tandem, AUTOSPORT understands that there will in fact be no HVM involvement in de Silvestro's programme.
KV representatives could not be reached for comment.
Lots of confusion, as you can imagine. There was supposed to be a "deal" done, as was reported (alleged?) Friday. There are threats of lawsuits. Someone isn't playing nice with his siblings and is going to drop the dirt on his sisters if he doesn't get what he wants. This has the potential to get extremely nasty. I don't know how much of it will get out out in the open but expect "something" soon.
Randy Bernard has stepped down as CEO of INDYCAR.
**** Indycar, I'm done. Way to run off the demographic fan that you are trying to grow, idiots.
R. MILLER IS LETTING LOOSE ON JMV!
Buried in all the hoopla there was a line in a press release from Hulman Co. (?) yesterday stating that TG was absolutely not taking over IndyCar. So, maybe the girls got their way on that anyway...
With pitchforks and burning pitch...
I'm curious to know exactly what it is the owners have against Bernard? Or why the board felt he had to go... now?
I don't think he was the perfect leader for Indycar (if there even is such a thing at this point) but at least he brought a positive energy to the table and a willingness to engage the fans and seemed to be a hard worker and tried to move the needle. And although he moved slow he finally replaced TGBB and installed some semblance of professionalism in race control.
I am not and never will be a fan of seeing 33 identical chassis rolling onto the track each May. Different engines are a start but identical chassis is something I'd like to see addressed. So until someone actually addresses that then I'm always going to think there's a better way. Even if it's more cosmetic than function, at least it would be a start.
But we've seen there's also a much worse option than Bernard as well.
Bernard also might've been better at changing perception than he was at changing reality. Or maybe reality in some circles is just going to take a long time to change in meaningful ways. The on track product certainly improved this season. And the buzz among existing fans was there. But then people weren't exactly glued to their TV's or filling stands either. At least not new eyeballs and butts.
So all that said, the product is as good as it's been in years and they fire him now? And apparently without a replacement readied so they've muddied the marketplace, created confusion, etc and without an alternate plan so this all will just sit and fester. And I'm still not going to be convinced that Tony George isn't pulling strings to reinsert himself somehow even if it's to be a puppet master to some installed puppet figurehead at the top of the league. ...not easily anyway. Too much strangeness.
According to AP’s copy of the proposal, George and a hand-picked team of managers and financiers submitted a proposal to cede the administration of the IZOD IndyCar Series from Hulman & Co. with $5 million up front, and a guarantee of $25 million in holdings to look after the series' financial requirements, and to supplant series CEO Randy Bernard and his immediate staff.
Bernard was removed from his role as CEO in an emergency meeting called by the Hulman & Co. board on Sunday the 28th, with Belskus, who served as interim CEO in the wake of George’s 2009 departure, assuming the same position after Bernard was separated from the role.
George’s management hierarchy, through a firm named ICS Acquisitions, included sponsorship guru Zak Brown, owner of Just Marketing Inc., as Bernard’s replacement, former Jaguar managing director Mike O’Driscoll as president and COO, and Claire Roberts, CEO of sports administration software company ArbiterSports, as operations manager.
Here's some more asswipe from SI. Some very good :bs:
I'll be back later...
OK. All of the "TG didn't want to take over IndyCar" BS is just exactly that. Nobody knows what the hell is going on and confusion reigns. There doesn't seem to be any plan other than all the sudden RB had to go. Typical. Of course none of the car owners are guilty...Of course...I don't know how they salvage this with any credibility left. I really don't. There is a USA today fluff piece about NASCRAP buying IndyCar. I think that's nuclear stupid since TG and the France family are part of what got us into this mess to begin with.