Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd thoughts entering the second half of the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd thoughts entering the second half of the season

If there is any positive that we can all look for right now it is that barring some unseen new injury, the Pacers will for the first time all season have a full roster of players. Sure there are some bumps and bruises and sore backs and such but I am sure every team in the NBA can also use the same statement.

So with that in mind the Pacers brass has about 3 weeks to evaluate how the team fits together when healthy and see what needs to be done, if anything, at the trade deadline.

It is very hard to judge the first half of the season because frankly the lineup was never really set and there were some significant injury's.

However there certainly were some trends that you can look at.

Poor defense. You can say it is lack of talent, you can say it is the defensive scheme, you can say that differant players are missing assignments or you can say it is because we have a coach that is to concerned with offense. I can see argument for and against all of these.

However what can not be denied, even by the biggest Pacers homer, is that the Pacers just do not play good defense on a routine basis.

We've seen indications that they can and we've seen indications that the system works but overall for the season the defense has been well below what we expected.

Offensively I'm not sure what to say. We can score on most teams, and even the biggest O'Brien hater has to concede that the Pacers do NOT come down and just jack up a three pointer anymore. In fact most nights we actually win the battle of scoring in the paint.

However we have also seen when teams decide to lock down on defense we tend to lose any and all ball movement and tend to panic and shoot the first shot that comes our way.

Some of this can be attributed to the culture of offense that O'Brien uses. I'm not saying it is a bad thing but from what I understand, not only are players encouraged to take open shots they are punished if they do not take open shots too often. Thus I think some times players tend to not know what a good shot vs. bad shot is. Honestly that is really the quality of the players though, not so much the coaching staff.

Let's look at some good things for the first half.

A. The team is likeable. There are no bad apples that we can tell, there have been no off court issues (that we have heard of) and other than Jeff Foster most of our players do not harp at the referee's after every call.
    BTW, this is NOT a minor point. This is a huge HUGE victory for the front office because frankly this time two years ago people in this town hated the Pacers. Right now they are disdainfull of the team because of the W/L issue but at least you don't hear the word Pacers followed immediately by the word Thug.

So I think we need to aknowledge that the entire orginazation has worked on this from the owners to the green coats at the game (notice how even they are more friendly I am sure that is not a coincidence) and say good job.

B. The style of play is more entertaining. Ok this is going to be with a caveat of course, losing is not good but an open style that keeps us in most games is far better to watch then being blown out every night.

Again this is not an accident. I believe Bird knew exactly what he was doing and what he was getting with O'Brien. He knew that one of the reasons that the fans were also down on the club, besides all of the off court and on court antics, was that for years we had been under the oppresive superstar offense. While Uncle Buck and myself would like to see a N.Y. vs Indiana 68 point game frankly most fans do not. Even I do not want to see the isolation one on four offense that we had during those years.

BTW, this is not an endorsement of O'Brien, I am just saying he is what he is and Bird knew this and chose to go in this direction. You can disagree with it but remember for those of you that live in other states, city's and country's the bottom line is they have to entertain the people of central Indiana because that is who buys the tickets.

C. The emergence of Danny Granger. When Danny was a rookie both Will Galen and myself said that he was immediately our favorite player. However I can't speak for Will but I can say for myself I had no idea he would be this good.

I hate that people give Bird no credit for drafting him. He is always given the "it was a no brainer" pick when nothing could be closer to the truth. When he was picked we already had two players who were both young and small forwards both of which could start on most teams (Artest & Jackson) and Danny at best was going to be a third wheel. We had several other needs and there were other players who available that might have helped as well. Not to mention 16 other G.M.'s didn't think he was a no brainer, you think some of them would like a do over? I do.

However not only is Danny a great player so far he has shown to be a Pacers P.R. dream. From being a grounded individual to actually being somewhat of a nerd (the guy wears spiderman and batman shirts, how cool is that).

I will no go on to say something that I am sure will probably be the focus of much debate but I am making it anyway.

I have been a lifelong Pacers fan and while I certainly respect and love the old ABA guys, I frankly was just to young to see them. I never saw Roger or Mel or Freddy play at all and I did see Big Mac play but he was old and washed up. I saw probably 80% or more of the games that Reggie Miller played as a Pacer. There were several when he was young that was not televised and I didn't get to all of the home games.

Here goes.

Danny Granger is the greatest player I have ever seen as a Pacer.

Yes I know many of you think I will smoke a turd in hell for saying that but I will say it again.

I have never seen a player as good as Danny Granger play for the Pacers.

Mickey Johnson had a good year when he was here and certainly Billy Knight would be right up there. But Danny is alone at the top of the pile of great Pacer players.

Yes, Reggie is a legend and until Danny can do in the playoffs what Reggie accomplished he will never equal Reggie in the heart of Pacers fans but I'm telling you this as a person who saw all of Reggie's big games.

Danny Granger is a better all around player. Yes, Reggie could score but that is about where it stops.

Danny is a lock down defender when he focuses on it. He is a good rebounder, something Reggie never was and right now he can score from any position on the floor.

Sure his stats might be inflated from the scoring point of being the best player on a bad team but that is a double edged sword as well. Other teams also know this and pay more attention to you.

I know that this thread will probably turn into an argument over this statement but I don't care. I waited on purpose till Danny had a bad game to say this because I did not want to be accused of being to high after one of his great games.

D. Improved play from Marquis Daniels. Certainly it is valid to question if the fact that he is in a contract year is helping this, but frankly who cares. We needed him in the first half of the season and he came through for the most part.

E. Suprise wins vs. big name teams. Beating the Celtics at the home opener was huge and set a good tone for the common fan for the season. Beating the Lakers was also good. The fact that we have been in almost every game is a big plus for our team. BillS had a great point in another thread (I forget which one) but he said that losing the close heartbreakers is better for the general fan because it does not make us look like punching bags (I'm paraphrasing, he said it much more eloquent than I)

F. The team fights hard every game. This is a tribute the the coaching, the quality of players and to the management. This has been a very hard season record wise and it would be easy to bow thier heads and give up, but we haven't seen that. Again a positive p.r. piece to work with.

Notice a theme here kids? Positive P.R., would we like more wins? Of course, who wouldn't? But barring that the team had to make some positive moves in the p.r. front and I have to say so far so good.

Ok, it's not all been positive and by no means am I a p.r. person for the Pacers so let's look at what has been bad.

1. Defense, yes I covered this already in the buildup but it is that bad it needs to be said again. Tbird is putting together a seriers of defensive threads and he will cover this far better than I ever could. I will just say that from what I can tell it is a combination of quality defenders and frankly the defensive scheme itself. But I still can't put my finger on the actual problem yet.

2. Point guard dissapointment. Well at least they aren't Tinsely is pretty much the motto we have to go with. That's about it. I have never in my life seen two quality p.g.'s who routinely make such boneheaded decisions. Both of them routinely leave thier feet with the ball before they have a clue as to what they are doing with it. Both also seem to have trouble holding on to the ball, not a great trate for a point guard btw.

I'm not sure if I want to say this here or somewhere else but I guess here is where I will put it. Another problem I have is O'Briens over use of Jarret Jack.

Look the guy is not a bad player, unlike several of you I actually don't mind Jack at all. However he should not be on the floor as often as he is. He should back up T.J. and he should play some spot min. at the shooting guard, however JOB has him in the game all of the time and frankly there are other players who could bring something to the floor. Like I said I am not a Jack hater but I hate the way O'Brien uses him.

3. To many nights when I look on the floor and see Troy Murphy as the center. This is a real problem for me and it will be even worse in the second half because of his aboslute insistance of using Jack at the two. We started the season out with Rasho and Troy up front and Jeff and Roy backing them up. Jeff was back to playing the 4 spot and Rasho was giving us something in at the 5. But now we have Roy who is going to have more DNP's than not probably or what might as well be DNP's when he plays 5 min. or less. and Jeff is now once again back to the center spot.

Controversial statement number 2 coming right up. I am sure this may cause as much of a stir as my Granger statement but here goes.

The Indiana Pacers will never truely get better until Jeff Foster is off of this team. Yes, that's right I said it. Now again I will add a caveat to this, if we would get a coach who would use him correctly he would be an asset (like he was when we started the year)

Jeff is not a bad player, far from it. However there is a saying in the field I work in that IMO applies to Jeff in it's own way. You have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Well with Jeff it is this, he does just enough of the right things to get by that the Pacers never improve at the position and always end up settling for what Jeff brings them.

As U.B. likes to point out Jeff ends up getting his starting position back every year. There are two sides to that in that this is a true statement but also why does he lose the job every year?

Like I said, he is not a bad player and yes every team in the NBA would love to have a Jeff Foster. I am not denying any of that. I am just saying that for one thing he is a power forward, not a center and until we can get an interior defender who has size and can alter shots we will never improve overall as a team.

Again, I know that this is not going to be popular but it is just how I feel. Jeff is overused and frankly I think over rated. Coach's love him because he does all of the small things and plays the right way. However that is what makes you a great rotational player, not the starting center.

4. The absolute madness that is our rotation. We have players who can do no wrong in our coaching staffs mind (Jack, Foster) and we have player who can do nothing right (McRoberts, Hibbert). Again I blame this on O'Briens absolute fasination with small ball. Has the guy ever coached a big lineup that he used in a regular rotation? I can't think of any. Hibbert is just unbelievable to be honest with you. By no means did he deserve to be the starter but by no means does he deserve to be getting DNP'd either. He wold have gotten a DNP vs. the Spurs but we got blown out so JOB emptied the bench in the 4th. McBob's is just about as aggrivating. He had a series of great games and then goes away. The reason we are given is because he hurts our offense??? Are you kidding me? Did you see complaint number one? Hurting our offense is the last thing that he should worry about.

5. Short rotation. It is a long long season and we are running a motion offense that requires constant movement from the players. Having an 8 man rotation just does not make sense to me. However it gives him more of an excuse to play Jack for 40 plus min. a game.

6. Lack of any real devlopment by our rookies. Rush has been very frustrating in his play. I have no idea what happened there. I thought he was on his way to a solid season and then for whatever reason he fell of the face of the earth. I can't beleive it was the rookie wall because I didn't think he played enough, but maybe. Hibbert is what Hibbert is. He will never be the hard nosed rebounding animal that we need but he is already an offensive threat and has shown the ability and willingness to set screens and picks. Again I implore the Pacers to hire a big man coach to work with Roy. Jeff Foster is not the type of player that Roy is going to be and he is the one working with him. Now don't get me wrong Jeff can help with the fundementals but for God's sake do not let him show him how to set a pick.

You can blame the quality of player here if you want and it would be hard to argue against it. However you also have to look at the coaching staff as well. Why are these guys not getting better? How much time do they spend working with them? Is there one coach who is designated as thier mentor, etc.?

Ok, that is six good and six bad so I'll stop there.

Certainly the schedule was very tough to begin with and it looks like after Friday it will ease up a bit on us. However we actually have to beat these bad teams for the schedule to work in our favor.

The one thing I think I can feel comfortable though about is that with the new management I don't feel like we will have to wait till this summer for them to look to improve the team or make a move to help the future. If there is something out there I feel like they will make a move and I can't say I have ever been able to feel that way for years with this club.

Overall I am thrilled with the owners and managment as I think they have taken the right steps to get where they need to be.

I am holding judgement on the head coach because he has now declared a win now mentality, so if he wins now then great. If not and we don't develop our young players then I think he needs to be held accountable.

I think all of the players are doing what they can and I don't really dislike any of them. I will admit I am just not thrilled with Foster but it is in the way the team uses him.

On a side note as I watched the Spurs game I set and laughed to myself at Kurt Thomas. In my wildest dreams back in the 90's would I ever think to myself that we need a player like Kurt Thomas because our bigs would routinely punk him out. However since the 90's have left us I long for a player like Kurt Thomas.

Not to end on a down note though.

I think Granger will be an all-star.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd thoughts entering the second half of the season

[quote=Peck;838491]. . . the Pacers brass has about 3 weeks to evaluate how the team fits together when healthy and see what needs to be done, if anything, at the trade deadline.

I think they will do something.

We've seen indications that they can and we've seen indications that the system works but overall for the season the defense has been well below what we expected.

I think it's getting better.

The style of play is more entertaining. Ok this is going to be with a caveat of course, losing is not good but an open style that keeps us in most games is far better to watch then being blown out every night.

I'll say, I turned the game off against the Spurs last night in the 3rd quarter, the first time I've did that in a long time.

While Uncle Buck and myself would like to see a N.Y. vs Indiana 68 point game frankly most fans do not.

Not me, I like to see a high scoring great passing team.

The emergence of Danny Granger. When Danny was a rookie both Will Galen and myself said that he was immediately our favorite player. However I can't speak for Will but I can say for myself I had no idea he would be this good.

Some might have thought he had the tools to be this good, but nobody knew he would be this good. Certainly not me, I though George McCloud would be another Magic Johnson. As for why I jumped on the Granger bandwagon from the get-go. I really dislike an attitude, and I thought from what I read he would be good but wouldn't have one.

I hate that people give Bird no credit for drafting him. He is always given the "it was a no brainer" pick when nothing could be closer to the truth. When he was picked we already had two players who were both young and small forwards both of which could start on most teams (Artest & Jackson) and Danny at best was going to be a third wheel. We had several other needs and there were other players who available that might have helped as well. Not to mention 16 other G.M.'s didn't think he was a no brainer, you think some of them would like a do over? I do.

I agree whole heartedly with this. Gerald Green was still available at the time too, and there were some that thought he would be great.

Danny Granger is the greatest player I have ever seen as a Pacer. I have never seen a player as good as Danny Granger play for the Pacers.

It's been a long time but I thought George McGinnis was the best Pacer ever. I would put Granger on a par with him as of right this moment.

I'm telling you this as a person who saw all of Reggie's big games. Danny Granger is a better all around player.

I don't think that's even debatable.

Defense, yes I covered this already in the buildup but it is that bad it needs to be said again. Tbird is putting together a seriers of defensive threads and he will cover this far better than I ever could. I will just say that from what I can tell it is a combination of quality defenders and frankly the defensive scheme itself. But I still can't put my finger on the actual problem yet.

They proved they can play defense at the start of the year. I think whats missing is everyone being on the same page with bulldog desire.

What I'm talking about here is teams get up collectively for the Celtics and Lakers of the league. They get up collectively when they go on a long win streak. They get up collectively for the playoffs.

They simplly don't have the same desire when playing regular season games against lessor competition, and it's not something most coachs can instill in a team. My hat's off to O'B because they usuall play hard every night.

Overall I am thrilled with the owners and managment as I think they have taken the right steps to get where they need to be.

Agree.

I think Granger will be an all-star.

A lot of people agree, even this year.

Comment

Mr. Peck....as one who DID see all of the old Pacer greats, I'll give you a "pass". Most others I'd rip into but since you (and Will) state it, I am going to defer until I have really payed attention to Danny. I was a fan early too, but it was becasue of the attitude issue...but I quit paying attention to him. So until I've been to a couple of games where I focused on him I will not make that judgement. As for DG being an All-Star...NOT, he's not glamorous enough to showcase,yet. Maybe someday, but not yet. Gone are the days when the NBA cared about showcasing the best, now it's about shoe contracts and glitz and glamour. DG comes from the Pacers and makes no waves...he'll not be there.
      Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

Comment

Good post Peck.

Just a few comments based on what you've written.

I absolutely agree that Bird knew what he was getting when he hired O'Brien. He is a coach that can get players to play hard and might be able to take a somewhat flawed team to an overacheiving finish. Bird knew that the players that he had didn't fit together perfectly but there were some players there to work with. I think O'Brien will get to coach out his current contract while Bird tries to get more complementery pieces around Danny and then he will try to get a new coach to sculpt a contender.

Alot of people have been suprised at how good Danny has become. Very few on this board thought he had the talent to be a first option on a good team. I was always impressed at his steady improvement as a player. The way he methodically added more to his game throughout the offseason and even during the seasons as he learnt. That is the mark of a great player who continually strives to improve. If there was any silver lining of the brawl it was that the suspensions meant we were bad enough to be in a position to draft Danny. Its a testement to Danny's desire that he could end up being the 2nd best player in a draft that included players like Deron Williams, Bynum, Bogut.

I agree about Jeff Foster. He is good enough to be a rotational player on a contender, but his weaknesses severely limit how a team can play if he is to be a starter or play major minutes.

Comment

I agree with pretty much everything here, couple of caveats:

1. I don't consider Danny better than Reggie, Big Mac, Mel Daniels, or Rajah at this point, but I'm open to the possibility down the road. That is both high praise and high expectations.

2. I agree that Jack and Foster are overused, but I generally like having both. However, I would be open to seeing Foster moved in a trade. Jack, OTOH, I very much would like to re-sign. I am very disappointed in Ford, because he's much more hit and miss than I would have liked.

On other tangents, I think:

-Rasho and Daniels days are numbered for this franchise. They'll either go (separately) in a deadline deal, or they'll be allowed to go at the end of the season. Rasho, while a nice, smart player, is the oldest 32-year old I've seen in a long, long time. Back in the '70's and '80's, 32 was old, but it's since become more middle-age, by NBA standards. However, I haven't seen a player labor this much physically since Smits' last year.

Daniels was always on the bubble because of the size of his option, but I have to wonder if this last injury has sealed his fate. It's not that it's career threatening, but it had to bring home harsh reminders of his nagging health issues during his tenure here.

- Unless Daniels suddenly becomes healthy and effective, I think we're about to see Rush grab his rotation spot back from Stephen Graham. There were long periods of time last night where Stephen was dueling TJ to see which was San Antonio's best player.

- The last two losses suck, but I'm still ok with taking the next couple of weeks to play the vets. If we don't enter February at 20-28, then I think Hibbert should go back to getting the 12-18 min starting job, and Rush should move ahead of both Graham and Daniels in the rotation for the balance of the season.

- As to Obie and, tangentially, Bird: I've supported Obie, but have noted that there are things that he could do to make me conclude he should be replaced. That being said, everyone should prepare, barring something unforeseen (including a resignation), for the fact that he will be our coach through the end of next season. Again, I'm not saying whether that's right, or it's wrong. I just simply don't see Bird making a coaching change unless something ugly happens in the locker room, and there's been absolutely no indication of that.

Which brings me to Bird. It is my opinion that, unless he decides to leave, that Bird will be here as long as the Simons own the Pacers. Both Mel and Herb are of advanced age, and there are some valid questions as to how much longer they will own the franchise, and who will be the next owners. Given that uncertainty, along with the Simons' history with Walsh, I find it extremely unlikely that they will go fishing around for a new direction.

It is my opinion that they've made the decision to go with Bird, and they will stick with it. Also, despite the record, the moves made by Bird this past year have materially altered the Pacers position for the better by getting them out of cap hell and giving them much greater flexibility in terms of players, picks, and contracts. Also, it appears more and more every day that the Halloween Treat of Danny's extension was a wise move that likely saved the team millions of dollars.

Comment

One thing that has been in numerous posts is that they didn't see Granger being this good. What's ironical is that when Danny came to the Pacers, the one person who said Danny was going to be good was Ron Artest. After practicing and playing with Danny, Artest was quite impressed with Danny.

Comment

McGinnis was actually a league MVP so i can't quite go there with Danny being better, but for the most part I'd agree, especially with the comments about disappointing PG play and lack of development by rookies. I can't see why any coach would not be able to find a way to effectively use Jeff Foster, a guy whose main objective is to make all the hustle plays he can, but you are right in that his best role on any playoff team is first big off the bench, mostly at PF. I can't blame the coach for his minutes though, since I don't see the other bigs outplaying him, and they do occasionally get their chances.
              The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Comment

Until Danny can do what he does in the playoff setting, he has no mention of being on par with Reggie or George. Now I am not saying he never will, but until I see him hit jumpers late in a playoff setting I cannot completely evaluate Danny in such regards.

Comment

Where do I begin - how do I begin. Peck you have enough meat there for about 10 threads.

Suppose I'll start with Danny - I understand where you are coming from - but I wouldn't put him above JO or Artest right now. I realize there are a lot of issues with those two - but just at first thought.

Let me move to Foster. I think you throw something about Foster in your threads just to get me going - and it usually works. But your statement that the pacers will never be any good until Foster is gone is nonsensical. Sort of like blaming the weatherman for the cold temperatures. And Jeff is one of those players that most fans won't miss until he is gone

There is so much I want to respond to and yet my head is spinning
                  Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I don't think the issue of Danny's rank among other Pacer greats is an argument at this point simply because he is still very early in his career. It is too early to say he is the best, but it is not too early to say he is on his way to being the best. It doesn't hurt that he picked a jersey number in the 30's.

I am beginning to change my opinion of the defense a little bit. Now, don't jump all over me, but for the last few games the Pacers have defended very well on most possessions. Yes, "most" isn't good enough, but with any sort of reasonable ability to finish at the basket or make open jumpers the defense as played is very possibly "good enough".

Let's look at the offensive end. IF we hit a few more shots and IF we manage to actually pull down an offensive rebound or two, we give up a lot fewer quick response opportunities for the opponent. Not only that but we actually put some points on the scoreboard ourselves.

In the first half against the Spurs we had flashes of great defense, with a number of steals and forced turnovers. We completely and utterly failed to capitalize on any of them, leading to long stretches with no scoring until the Spurs managed to make an extra pass and get one in the basket. This inched them forward until the expected run put them further ahead than we were able to recover from. My question here is whether we fall apart defensively in the third quarter if the game is closer after 2 because we shot better than 20+ percent?

These aren't usually challenged shots, nor are they difficult angles. They are just either short or long or off the backboard at the wrong spot or - as more shots are missed - shots not even taken as the open look is passed up in favor of getting the ball to someone else.

Our offensive confidence is eroding daily, and I am now of the opinion that it is the main reason for recent situations.

Let me be very clear - the plays drawn up or the style encouraged by Jim O'Brien is doing what it is supposed to do. Players are getting open, or getting to the rim, or coming off a screen and getting the ball. It is happening too early in games after many days off to be a rest issue. Coaching cannot substitute for the ability to put the ball in the basket.
                    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

Alright kids. The moment you've all been waiting for...

THROW DUKE DYNAMITE UNDER THE BUS!

Peck, I agree with you. I actually was able to witness all of Reggie's big games (I'm only 23 in a month.) and I can honestly say that Danny Granger has surpassed Uncle Reg' in the category you mentioned.

Now, BillS is right, it is very early in Danny's career still, but, that still doesn't mean I will back down from my statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                        However we have also seen when teams decide to lock down on defense we tend to lose any and all ball movement and tend to panic and shoot the first shot that comes our way.

I'm still reading through this, but this is sooooo true and sooooo troublesome.

Nice read so far, I always print these out and read through them thoroughly because I really in enjoy some meat and potatoes content. Thank you for these posts!!
                        Last edited by Speed; 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
                          The Indiana Pacers will never truely get better until Jeff Foster is off of this team.
                          I don't completely disagree. The Pacers are running too many role/bench players out as starters or big minute guys. Jeff is victim of this. It's not his fault. I imagine some tough trades are the only way to fix this and some solid well liked players may have to be moved to do this. Foster may be one of them.
                          I'm in these bands
                          The Humans
                          Dr. Goldfoot
                          The Bar Brawlers
                          ME

Comment

TJ Ford
                            By ResultGMINFGM-FGAFG%3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%STLBLKTOPFOFFDEFTOTASTPTS
                            In wins 13 31.5 5.8-12.4 47.205 0.5-1.3 .353 3.6-4.1 88.679 1.69 0.31 1.9 1.9 0.6 3.8 4.5 5.2 15.8
                            In losses 22 29.7 4.5-11.1 40.164 0.6-1.6 .371 3.1-3.4 91.892 0.68 0.09 2.5 2.7 0.8 2.8 3.6 4.8 12.6

Jarrett Jack

By ResultGMINFGM-FGAFG%3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%STLBLKTOPFOFFDEFTOTASTPTS
                            In wins 15 30.7 4.6-9.1 50.365 1.2-2.3 .529 3.1-3.5 88.679 1.00 0.20 2.2 2.2 0.4 3.5 3.9 3.5 13.5
                            In losses 27 29.9 3.3-8.4 38.767 0.5-2.0 .264 2.3-2.9 79.487 0.89 0.11 2.2 2.2 0.3 2.5 2.9 4.3 9.3

Starter/ Bench by the numbers

TJ Ford

GMINFGM-FGAFG%3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%STLBLKTOPFOFFDEFTOTASTPTS
                            As Starter 26 32.0 5.1-12.0 42.765 0.6-1.7 .372 3.5-3.8 92.929 1.12 0.12 2.2 2.3 0.9 3.6 4.5 5.3 14.4
                            Off Bench 8 25.4 4.6-10.0 46.250 0.3-0.8 .333 2.8-3.4 81.481 0.75 0.38 2.6 2.9 0.3 1.9 2.1 4.1 12.3

Jarrett Jack
                            GMINFGM-FGAFG%3PM-3PA3P%FTM-FTAFT%STLBLKTOPFOFFDEFTOTASTPTS
                            As Starter 15 37.7 5.5-11.5 48.256 1.0-2.6 .385 3.0-3.4 88.235 1.13 0.13 2.6 2.4 0.8 2.8 3.6 5.1 15.1
                            Off Bench 26 26.5 2.8-7.3 38.095 0.7-1.8 .354 2.5-3.1 80.000 0.85 0.15 2.0 2.0 0.1 3.0 3.1 3.5 8.7

I think the problem remains. We need better point guard play. When our PGs play well we win.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=2768 for Jack
                            http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=1979 for TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
                              I don't completely disagree. The Pacers are running too many role/bench players out as starters or big minute guys. Jeff is victim of this. It's not his fault. I imagine some tough trades are the only way to fix this and some solid well liked players may have to be moved to do this. Foster may be one of them.
                              At this time the best thing for the team and for Jeff is to move him. He'd be far better served on a better team. He's just far too limited a player to be anything other than a rotational guy. He can't be a 30+ minute player.
                              Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM.
                              "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Comment

Working...
                              X