Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

    Originally posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    No it's part of building a team in the online association, have to have a team that can play when you are in control as well as when you aren't.
    It's not as much building the Team, it's knowing what is the best way to configure your Coaching Profile for how you will run your Team.

    Tweaking it to run the best way to fit your roster isn't the easiest thing to do. It took me several games in the regular season to tweak it so that I win a few of the games.

    I agree with what Derek2k3 was saying.....I don't like that the games are being SIMMED when it comes to PvP matchups. I get that it maybe hard to meet up and play....but if there are repeated requests to play from one Player and the other Player doesn't ( at least ) respond saying that he's busy...then I'm thinking that those games should be forfeited. If the Player does respond and simply need more time...then I can PAUSE the league to allow more time to schedule games.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    Comment


    • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

      FYI......once the Playoff Ends.....there will be 1 or 2 full days ( in Real time ) between the Playoffs and the start of the Offseason.

      I don't recall when it starts and what the sequence is....but note that the timeframe for the Draft and ( more importantly ) the Offseason Free Agent signing...is done at the same time. The Draft occurs ( we draft like normal for the made up College Players ) and then right after...the Free Agency starts. This means that we should expect to do this in the next week or so.

      Please note that if there are Players that you don't want to pick up Players' Team Options or sign Players that you don't want to sign at outrageous contracts....then you should plan on taking care of your Offseason tasks.

      I think I can PAUSE the League AFTER the Playoff ends.....but this is something that we will need to plan around as to when it happens.
      Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CableKC View Post
        It's not as much building the Team, it's knowing what is the best way to configure your Coaching Profile for how you will run your Team.

        Tweaking it to run the best way to fit your roster isn't the easiest thing to do. It took me several games in the regular season to tweak it so that I win a few of the games.

        I agree with what Derek2k3 was saying.....I don't like that the games are being SIMMED when it comes to PvP matchups. I get that it maybe hard to meet up and play....but if there are repeated requests to play from one Player and the other Player doesn't ( at least ) respond saying that he's busy...then I'm thinking that those games should be forfeited. If the Player does respond and simply need more time...then I can PAUSE the league to allow more time to schedule games.
        In MRhales case that's exactly what it is, his team is almost completely perimeter oriented beyond the 3 point line. I can't see a team that plays like the blazers do in the NBA, MRhale leaned on that and now it's biting him back. I don't think that's an unfair thing.

        Comment


        • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

          Originally posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
          In MRhales case that's exactly what it is, his team is almost completely perimeter oriented beyond the 3 point line. I can't see a team that plays like the blazers do in the NBA, MRhale leaned on that and now it's biting him back. I don't think that's an unfair thing.
          I chise like everyday and sim a ton, your right my team wouldn't of even made playoffs if I hadnt played like 20games.. if I had known that playoffs were to get simmed I might of drafted differently.. but its all good I think your just glad that u might actually have a chance to win it all now haha

          Comment


          • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

            And u can't edit players tendencies which is the biggest thing u need in a chise

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MrHale View Post
              I chise like everyday and sim a ton, your right my team wouldn't of even made playoffs if I hadnt played like 20games.. if I had known that playoffs were to get simmed I might of drafted differently.. but its all good I think your just glad that u might actually have a chance to win it all now haha
              No it has nothing to do with it, I just don't think *****ing and moaning about how we should pause the league is really annoying. We already have taken a long *** time to get through this first season. Some times you just have to be a fully capable roster.

              Comment


              • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

                I've already had 4 games simmed on me just because my work schedule/family obligations completely prevented me from playing, even though I've been in contact with my opponents. I was good enough to recover in the the first round but its not happening in the ECF. I hate that we're going at such a fast pace. I think every PvP playoff game should be played. I don't know how you can think this season has gone by slow, Dgreen.
                Last edited by Ghostface Millah; 04-24-2013, 05:54 AM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ghostface Millah View Post
                  I've already had 4 games simmed on me just because my work schedule/family obligations completely prevented me from playing, even though I've been in contact with my opponents. I was good enough to recover in the the first round but its not happening in the ECF. I hate that we're going at such a fast pace. I think every PvP playoff game should be played. I don't know how you can think this season has gone by slow, Dgreen.
                  I just feel like we have been paused like 30 times. I have been in a few other associations and maybe I just have high standards from being in a league with Other guys but if you lose a sim game in my other league it's from a lack of prep. Remember due to Post traumatic stress disorder I don't sleep much anymore and my usual work week is sick call three days a week (besides deployments)

                  Comment


                  • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

                    And I don't think pausing the league is at all annoying, really. I wish I had known you were willing to do that, Cable. I flat out couldn't make it before the first sim, and the second..me and DGreen took turns falling asleep at our scheduled meet up times and ended up with a simmed game. Both losses, and it's a shame because all of our games (which have ended in disconnects each time but once) have been pretty much dead even.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ghostface Millah View Post
                      And I don't think pausing the league is at all annoying, really. I wish I had known you were willing to do that, Cable. I flat out couldn't make it before the first sim, and the second..me and DGreen took turns falling asleep at our scheduled meet up times and ended up with a simmed game. Both losses, and it's a shame because all of our games (which have ended in disconnects each time but once) have been pretty much dead even.
                      I don't have a problem with it it occasionally but it feels like this first season has taken months. Which means those who chose to build thru the draft are at a gigantic disadvantage, their players won't progress to the level needed to be worth the risk. Free agency is going to be interesting. Alot of overpaying is going to happen.

                      Comment


                      • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

                        And I just lost the series with three simmed losses. Screw this. Absolutely ridiculous we were simming playoff games.

                        Comment


                        • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

                          Sorry Ghostface Millah, I wasn't aware that all the games were SIMMED....I wasn't able to login to the League on the PS3 and when I did....there was no way for me to tell if the games are SIMMED through the GUI. I was under the assumption that you guys were working out some schedule to play the game. If I had known earlier, I would have PAUSED the league to allow for you to work out some scheduled time to play.

                          When it comes to ANY PvP game ( Playoff games ), my preference is to PAUSE the league to allow all of you to schedule time to play ( cuz I know that it's hard to find time to play given work and conflicting schedules ); because the main reason why I play in the League is to simply play against a real person. To address the length of time....I can force wins for any of the PvCPU Playoff games for each round until there is a PvP Matchup so that we can avoid the playoffs taking too long.

                          I'm sorry that things took this long and that it turned out this way....clearly there were a lot of "bumps in the road" when it comes to the Playoffs.....but now that we know how this works and I have an idea about what I ( as an Admin can and cannot do )...we will know what to do next time in the Playoffs.

                          But I understand that this could be frustrating for various reasons....either cuz of the length of time it takes to play and due to the SIMMED games....but it's up to all of you if you want to continue playing or not.
                          Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CableKC View Post
                            Sorry Ghostface Millah, I wasn't aware that all the games were SIMMED....I wasn't able to login to the League on the PS3 and when I did....there was no way for me to tell if the games are SIMMED through the GUI. I was under the assumption that you guys were working out some schedule to play the game. If I had known earlier, I would have PAUSED the league to allow for you to work out some scheduled time to play.

                            When it comes to ANY PvP game ( Playoff games ), my preference is to PAUSE the league to allow all of you to schedule time to play ( cuz I know that it's hard to find time to play given work and conflicting schedules ); because the main reason why I play in the League is to simply play against a real person. To address the length of time....I can force wins for any of the PvCPU Playoff games for each round until there is a PvP Matchup so that we can avoid the playoffs taking too long.

                            I'm sorry that things took this long and that it turned out this way....clearly there were a lot of "bumps in the road" when it comes to the Playoffs.....but now that we know how this works and I have an idea about what I ( as an Admin can and cannot do )...we will know what to do next time in the Playoffs.

                            But I understand that this could be frustrating for various reasons....either cuz of the length of time it takes to play and due to the SIMMED games....but it's up to all of you if you want to continue playing or not.
                            They weren't all simmed we played 4 times with networks all but once which I won. Last night ghost face led by 5 when we had our issue. I don't think it's time to cry and take our ball home. It's time for me to spank Vandys cute little ***.

                            Comment


                            • Re: PS3 NBA 2K13 league?

                              You won once. The other three were simmed. You can't count those disconnects as wins. Most of them were in the first half when they occurred and they were all very close games. Yeah, I led by 5 in the 3rd or 4th I believe, but I'm not counting that as a win. We have been in touch throughout, so it's ridiculous we had three sims in our series. You basically got a hassle-free trip to the finals because when I was available to play, the game always disconnected, and when I wasn't available-it simmed.

                              Cable, I'll keep playing. Hopefully, we will have an operating procedure settled for season 2, and we won't have these complaints.
                              Last edited by Ghostface Millah; 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Ghostface Millah View Post
                                You won once. The other three were simmed. You can't count those disconnects as wins. Most of them were in the first half when they occurred and they were all very close games. Yeah, I led by 5 in the 3rd or 4th I believe, but I'm not counting that as a win. We have been in touch throughout, so it's ridiculous we had three sims in our series. You basically got a hassle-free trip to the finals because when I was available to play, the game always disconnected, and when I wasn't available-it simmed.

                                Cable, I'll keep playing. Hopefully, we will have an operating procedure settled for season 2, and we won't have these complaints.
                                Hey I am just saying.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X