PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone who thinks the Pacers WON'T recover from this season?

Bball
03-07-2005, 03:36 AM
I'm curious...
Is anyone willing to allow for the possibility this season, the suspensions, the distractions, injuries, the losses, etc might have derailed this current group permanently?

Is it going to be as simple as some time off (earlier than planned) this summer, workouts, summer camp, preseason games, and then right back at 'em with the swagger of a contender or has too much damage been done?

Arguably, the 'core' will be broken up and new rotations forced upon the team because Reggie will be gone. Can this provide a new spark or will it expose something else?

I'm not declaring this a foregone possibility but I do wonder about it.

-Bball

PacersFan
03-07-2005, 04:18 AM
no, I believe the Pacers will be on a mission to not only win the championship, but they will also be out for revenge against every team in the NBA. Their determination level will be so high, I actually think they will be close to the Bulls team that went 72-10. Because of all that happened this year, I think they will have doubled their chance to win the championship next year compared to the beginning of this year.

Yes, I am a biased Pacers fan, but this truely is what I think will happen:

They will crush their opposition night in and night out (oh course, with a few exceptions). The bench will be the deepest in the NBA by far because of all the experience gained this year. The starters will get less minutes for this reason and be fresher for the postseason. Hopefully, we'll get a better backup point guard over the summer so Tinsley will get more rest and not suffer from his annual late season injuries. Hopefully the increased bench minutes will prevent our starters from incurring any major injuries.

Every team will fear playing us because of the intensity our guys will show just about every night.

Oh course, all this has to be mixed in with a little luck. After such a rotten year, God has to be saving all the Pacers' good luck for next year, right?

The last decade or so, most all the Pacers teams have been very close to winning it all. Maybe it will be this brawl that will finally push them over the top.

Ironic, huh? And maybe, just maybe....Artest may have actually finally learned to control his temper, and we won't have any unnecessary distractions all next year.

Oh yeah, these Pacers will also become a dynasty and be talked about decades from now. ;)

Jose Slaughter
03-07-2005, 04:23 AM
I don't think this team needs more than a summer away from the game to get back on track.

Bring back the group we have now, minus Reggie & Edwards & let them have another shot at it.

Artest is the key. Either he returns & they try to keep in line or they don't even take the risk & move him over the summer. Either way we have talent added to the core group that is playing now. Be it Artest or the talent we move him for.

Mourning
03-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Maybe we will draft a back up SF or a back up PG. Our pick this year is bound to be the highest we will be having for several years to come unless we trade some of our depth to get higher in the lottery.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ABADays
03-07-2005, 09:31 AM
No - there's no permanent damage. A summer off will help them forget all the things they have had to endure this season. When they come back they will be in the same position as they were suppose to be in this year - a clear cut contender for the title.

rabid
03-07-2005, 10:18 AM
They'll recover. There IS a chance, however, that they will have missed their 'window' of opportunity. In hindsight we may look back and say that last year was this group's best shot at a title. But who knows. On paper there's no reason this team won't be a contender next year.

Indyfan
03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
This team will bounce back next year, and it just isn't possible that they will have all these distractions again! I worry also about the window of opportunity closing with Lebron getting better, will he be the cornerstone of a dynasty like Jordan was? I hope not as I think it is more fun when many teams have a shot every year. Jordan was the reason we didn't make the finals under Bird 2 years, then we ran into Shaq the year we made the finals.

I think if we had been healthy last year we would have beaten Detroit. We'll never know as it didn't happen that way. Detroit took advantage of its opportunity last year and won it all. To be the best you have to beat the best and hopefully you can do it when they are at full strength. Detroit didn't have to contend with healthy opposition last year in NJ and us.

grace
03-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Since the team survived the year that Jamaal's mom died, Jermaine's step-father tried to commit suicide, and Austin's father-in-law died I think they can get through this.

Hicks
03-07-2005, 11:03 AM
They'll be OK next year. It will take something new to mess next season up. Even if its source is someone familiar.

Jose Slaughter
03-07-2005, 11:36 AM
They'll be OK next year. It will take something new to mess next season up. Even if its source is someone familiar.

Arn't we Mr. Negitive Pants today! :-p

abington
03-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Oh C'mon. Ronnie is gonna be on best behavior for alteast a couple weeks.

PacerMan
03-07-2005, 01:27 PM
no, I believe the Pacers will be on a mission to not only win the championship, but they will also be out for revenge against every team in the NBA. Their determination level will be so high, I actually think they will be close to the Bulls team that went 72-10. Because of all that happened this year, I think they will have doubled their chance to win the championship next year compared to the beginning of this year.

Yes, I am a biased Pacers fan, but this truely is what I think will happen:

They will crush their opposition night in and night out (oh course, with a few exceptions). The bench will be the deepest in the NBA by far because of all the experience gained this year. The starters will get less minutes for this reason and be fresher for the postseason. Hopefully, we'll get a better backup point guard over the summer so Tinsley will get more rest and not suffer from his annual late season injuries. Hopefully the increased bench minutes will prevent our starters from incurring any major injuries.

Every team will fear playing us because of the intensity our guys will show just about every night.

Oh course, all this has to be mixed in with a little luck. After such a rotten year, God has to be saving all the Pacers' good luck for next year, right?

The last decade or so, most all the Pacers teams have been very close to winning it all. Maybe it will be this brawl that will finally push them over the top.

Ironic, huh? And maybe, just maybe....Artest may have actually finally learned to control his temper, and we won't have any unnecessary distractions all next year.

Oh yeah, these Pacers will also become a dynasty and be talked about decades from now. ;)

What he said.
Except for the dynasty part. Too many developing GOOD teams now.

Spicoli
03-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I guess I would be considered the minority with respect to your question, Bball.

It is way to presumptuous to assume this team will resume where it left off after the 2003/2004 season. It's also way too much to assume the only difference between 41 and 61 wins is Ron Artest. IMO, that is just silly. The Eastern conference is going to do nothing but improve between now and next season.

Remember how horrid this conference was just last year? Even at the end of the year, the only legit teams in the east were the Pacers and Pistons . . . with the Heat emerging. Now, the Heat are a force, the Pistons are world champs, the Cavs, Wiz, Celts, and Magic are much improved.

There is a great deal of uncertainty around this team due to the simple fact that we haven't had a chance to see this team at 100% strength. Hell, we've barely seen this team at 75%. I'm optimistic about next season, but to go around proclaiming we are going to be an elite team after this offseason by simply getting healthy is just absurd.

Suaveness
03-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I think next year we will be fine. Hopefully Ron will understand that he cannot mess up anymore. I hope it doesn't make his play any less, and I don't think that it will. But this team will come out with a renewed sense of purpose, and a feeling of being cheated and us against the league attitude. I do believe that Ron and JO will get along, and that is 2 fold: 1. the brawl somehow seemed to bring them together, due to various comments by JO 2. Jackson, who seems to be able to get along with everyone. This team will be back in contention next year.

ChicagoJ
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm curious...
Is anyone willing to allow for the possibility this season, the suspensions, the distractions, injuries, the losses, etc might have derailed this current group permanently?

:wave:

:crystalba

:sadbanana

Hicks
03-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Oh C'mon. Ronnie is gonna be on best behavior for alteast a couple weeks.

Oh. OK. Here's to a happy two months next season! :buddies: ;)

Hicks
03-07-2005, 02:18 PM
I guess I would be considered the minority with respect to your question, Bball.

It is way to presumptuous to assume this team will resume where it left off after the 2003/2004 season. It's also way too much to assume the only difference between 41 and 61 wins is Ron Artest. IMO, that is just silly.

You're right. But the difference between 41 and 61 wins IS no Ron Artest, no JO for 20+ games, no Tinsley for 15+ games, no Stephen Jackson for 26 games, no Jeff Foster for 2 months, no Scot Pollard for several games off and on, no Cro when he's one of our best players for a handful of games, no AJ for as long as Jeff was out, no Reggie for a similar amount of time, and for most of that time that was the same time Ron, JO, and Jack were gone. And I'm leaving the little stuff out. Making more sense now that we're .500 ?

Kegboy
03-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Well, let's put it this way, if I'm cancelling my season tickets, there has to be a large part of me that agrees with Bball's premise. :sadbanana

Spicoli
03-07-2005, 02:25 PM
You're right. But the difference between 41 and 61 wins IS no Ron Artest, no JO for 20+ games, no Tinsley for 15+ games, no Stephen Jackson for 26 games, no Jeff Foster for 2 months, no Scot Pollard for several games off and on, no Cro when he's one of our best players for a handful of games, no AJ for as long as Jeff was out, no Reggie for a similar amount of time, and for most of that time that was the same time Ron, JO, and Jack were gone. And I'm leaving the little stuff out. Making more sense now that we're .500 ?

Oh I understand why we are a .500 team this year. But, at the same time, I'm not convinced that we are immediately a contender next season just because we could be healthy/unsuspended. There won't be an Uncle Reggie next year, and the pieces of this team will have to learn to complement each other. Much easier said/assumed than done.

Hicks
03-07-2005, 02:46 PM
You make it sound like Reggie was the key to last season.

Spicoli
03-07-2005, 03:33 PM
You make it sound like Reggie was the key to last season.

:laugh: Well, obviously that's not my intention. Just pointing out that we will be minus one veteran leader next year, which should not be understated. However, if DD comes back we will also be up one. But I hope that you are not dwelling on my Reggie comment in that post because it is the least important thing I mentioned.....

ReggieMiller8325
03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
I just hope Reggie Miller stays one more season next yea fro sure we are going to win i have 100 % faith in this team still this year and i still think we can pull a upset the knicks did it why can,t we do it if we get Artest back in the playoffs every pacer fan knows we have a chance we just need to make the playoffs thats it.

McKeyFan
03-07-2005, 04:46 PM
No - there's no permanent damage. A summer off will help them forget all the things they have had to endure this season. When they come back they will be in the same position as they were suppose to be in this year - a clear cut contender for the title.

Hey, ABA. I saw your Virginia Squires sig.

I actually watched the Squires play when I was a kid. I grew up in Roanoke, Virginia where they played. I saw Dr. J play for them when he was just starting out.

Lord Helmet
03-07-2005, 05:57 PM
I just hope Reggie Miller stays one more season next yea fro sure we are going to win i have 100 % faith in this team still this year and i still think we can pull a upset the knicks did it why can,t we do it if we get Artest back in the playoffs every pacer fan knows we have a chance we just need to make the playoffs thats it.
I don't think the Knicks had 2,400,534,454,324,657 different starting lineups or 1,334,566,655 different injuries that year either. But, I don't really remember so I could be wrong. ;)

NotLosingButWinning
03-07-2005, 07:10 PM
i think that if they haven't self-destruced this season in which they have had plenty of opprotunities to do, then hopefully they'll be ready to go next season. i think it will be really important how they start the season. if they can jump out to a fast start they'll be fine. talent wise they should be a title contender, but i'm more worried about their mentallity as a team.

3ptmiller
03-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Its hard to tell man, but yes i believe its over and i dont think they can recover... well maybe if Ronnie,JO,Tinsley gets back, but if you look at the pacers today it looks very dark

grace
03-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by ReggieMiller8325

You're young and naive. Wait another 27 years and see how you feel.