PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else remember...

Indyfan
03-06-2005, 04:15 PM
If anything good is coming out of this year it is the development of our young players. Freddie, Hulk, JJ prob. wouldn't have played much or even been active much of this year if everyone was healthy and not suspendid.

Another random thought I had looking at the standings and seeing that Atlanta is 0-10 in their last 10 ( I didn't look to see how many they have lost in a row) was; is Al regretting asking to be traded? Seeing what happened to our team this year and suposing he wouldn't have been suspended for a long time after the brawl, he would have had such an opportunity to start here if he had given it one more year. It just goes to show that you never know if the best opportunity is right around the corner.

I get the same thoughts about Reggie, if we win it all next year or even just get back to the finals will he regret that he retired 1 year too soon? I'm sure he has already come to terms with this possibility as Bird has also said as much in the papers. After this year I have learned that there are no guantees going in what will happen during the season but at least on paper we are primed to make a great run at the title next year.

PacersFan
03-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a question:
Has a team ever missed the playoffs one year and managed to win the championship the next?

Lord Helmet
03-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I have a question:
Has a team ever missed the playoffs one year and managed to win the championship the next?
I don't think so....

Jermaniac
03-06-2005, 05:35 PM
We have a great shot to be the first

sweabs
03-06-2005, 05:39 PM
We have a great shot to be the first

So does Phoenix.......
:devil:

travmil
03-06-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a question:

I don't think so....

Actually, it's happened not once, but twice. The Golden State Warriors missed the playoffs in 1974, before winning it all in 1975.

And The Portland Trailblazers missed the playoffs the year before (1976 I think) they won it all in 1977 (again, I think).

Los Angeles
03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
All thing being equal, I'd rather make the playoffs the year before winning a championship.

But, hey - maybe that's just me.

???

shags
03-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Actually, it's happened not once, but twice. The Golden State Warriors missed the playoffs in 1974, before winning it all in 1975.

And The Portland Trailblazers missed the playoffs the year before (1976 I think) they won it all in 1977 (again, I think).

That's pretty much why most people think a team needs some extended playoff experience before winning a title. The Pacers would have that, even though I won't believe they will miss the playoffs until the season is over and they're not in the top 8 seeds.

travmil
03-06-2005, 07:51 PM
A fact of note that should be pointed out:

Portland and Golden State still had good won/loss records when they missed the playoffs before their titles. Back then, only four teams from each conference made it to the post season.

skyfire
03-06-2005, 07:52 PM

Did those teams get draft picks/free agents that made a significant difference to their previous years team? Or was their previous season ruined by an almost comedic string of injuries and suspensions?

dannyboy
03-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I've addressed this in conversations with others, then looked it up on NBA.com's history page to back it up and it was true (unless I missed something):

Since the playoff field went from 12 to 16 teams in 1983, no team has won the title that didn't at least advance past the 1st round the previous season.

I think it will happen eventually, though. However, there are only 8 teams (obviously) that meet this criteria for this year:

Detroit, Indiana, Miami, Minnesota, New Jersey, LA Lakers, Sacramento, and San Antonio.