PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I need some of your guys help

cramerica
03-06-2005, 12:31 PM
please dont use Jon Bender as a example.

Man, your taking all the fun out of it.

Bball
03-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Heck, Bender 'made it'. 6 years making multi-millions and yet having ZERO impact on the game or team is probably something every HS'er everywhere could look to for inspiration.

-Bball

You'll find a few mentioned here:
http://espn.go.com/dickvitale/vcolumn040206-high-schoolers.html

Jermaniac
03-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Lenny Cooke

Old as Dirt
03-06-2005, 12:59 PM
There are lot more young boys who DON'T make it than there are that do. That is one reason I believe they should have an age limit. Only I would perfer they have 4 years of college.

SjA3837
03-06-2005, 01:04 PM
There are lot more young boys who DON'T make it than there are that do. That is one reason I believe they should have an age limit. Only I would perfer they have 4 years of college.
The problem with that is, if people are willing to pay them, then they should be allowed to make the money. If they were required to have 4 years of college, they could get hurt, and never be able to be in the NBA for their career.

Los Angeles
03-06-2005, 01:17 PM
The problem with that is, if people are willing to pay them, then they should be allowed to make the money. If they were required to have 4 years of college, they could get hurt, and never be able to be in the NBA for their career.
Amen.

The cost of 4 years of college averages to around $100,000. Look it up, that's less than 1 year of a rookie contract.

You can always re-educate yourself, but you can never miss an opportunity to be a millionaire.

Things CAN be bought with money - even new lives after basketball which can include school.

(BTW - I know that school gets harder as you get older - But if you don't have the money to go - it isn't hard. It's flat out impossible.)

shags
03-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Others besides Lenny Cooke:

Taj McDavid
Ellis Richardson
Korleone Young
DeAngelo Collins
Tony Key

There's probably others. Young's the only one of those listed that was drafted. And there's plenty more who were drafted, like DeSagana Diop, who you can't quite judge yet.

ABADays
03-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Is Bender the only player to come out of high school and by-pass a pro career too?

Old as Dirt
03-06-2005, 02:13 PM
I do agree with the part of getting hurt, but as for the money, if they are good enough to be drafted, they would have no trouble getting a free ride. I really donot believe there is a right answer to this question.