PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Speculates: No Reinstatement for Ron

blanket
03-05-2005, 11:38 AM
I didn't see this already posted, but if it has been feel free to delete:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2004893

"That commisioner Stern uttered his original "never say never" stance with regard to a Ron Artest reinstatement mainly because of his fondness for Pacers owners Herb and Mel Simon. Stern never intended to allow Artest to return for the playoffs; word is he simply didn't want to make Indiana's punishment even harsher than it already is by publicly crushing reinstatement hopes. That crush finally came during All-Star Weekend, when Stern said: "I don't want to spend too much time on the Ron Artest matter. I'm a victim of my own inability to say that I like never to say never. But I don't anticipate that there will be an application for reinstatement, and I'm not thinking about the subject now. Period." ESPN.com

How is leading fans on better than just saying "No. Never." to the possibility of reinstatement?!? :mad:

grace
03-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Now that its been said for the 10,000 time that Ron is not coming back this season will people finally believe it?

Shade
03-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I fail to see how this is anything more than speculation on ESPN's part. I don't see any "news" here anywhere.

sweabs
03-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I have never believed that Artest will come back. I'm not going to get my hopes up like that.

But, to be fair, that piece of information still has no direct quote or anything new said by Stern that would make us believe there is NO CHANCE of him coming back. As Shade said, it's just speculation on the author's part.

RWB
03-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Too bad the commish doesn't have the fondness for Pacer fans like he does for the Simons.

Suaveness
03-05-2005, 11:50 AM
I really don't think he's coming back..

able
03-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Posting this wasn't the brightest move, this is a speculation from Stein and he is quoting the commish on a statement made during the all star games.

VERY old news. Certainly with the developments after that of Ron's visit, LB's announcement of a letter to the NBA and Ron's supposedly re-visit this coming week.

I would say that quoting what someone said weeks ago is never a good idea in a news column, by putting it in the "I'm Hearing" part of his column goes to show that he has an extreme delay on his hearing aid, maybe he should have that looked at..

heywoode
03-05-2005, 12:07 PM
We all heard Stern say that on all-star weekend, but other interesting things that continue to stir the pot have happened since then...

The meeting between Stern and RA, no matter how many times I hear to the contrary, was about a schedule for RA's return to the NBA, be it this year or next.

I'm still clinging to the story that I heard and hoping that news will break this week about him coming back for the 3/11 game that I will be attending.

I'll follow Stern's example and 'never say never' until the season and the playoffs are over with no return by RA. Until that time, I will continue to have hope.

It is pointless to give reasons why he should or should not be allowed back this year. We've all speculated in reasons for and against to no end!! How can we help it, right?!!

Bottom line is this:

I think what was reported was old news, so I'm still holding out hope!

birdman
03-05-2005, 12:17 PM
But I don't anticipate that there will be an application for reinstatement, and I'm not thinking about the subject now. Period." ESPN.com

Yeah this is old news, and isn't what he is saying is that the Pacers org. haven't filed an application for reinstatement?

A-Train
03-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Nothing new to see here... move along....

PacerFan31
03-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Stein is a moron, end of story, he is a story whore and will try and wright ne thing that will just barely get by.

I'm hearing ...

That commisioner Stern uttered his original "never say never" stance with regard to a Ron Artest reinstatement mainly because of his fondness for Pacers owners Herb and Mel Simon. Stern never intended to allow Artest to return for the playoffs; word is he simply didn't want to make Indiana's punishment even harsher than it already is by publicly crushing reinstatement hopes. That crush finally came during All-Star Weekend, when Stern said: "I don't want to spend too much time on the Ron Artest matter. I'm a victim of my own inability to say that I like never to say never. But I don't anticipate that there will be an application for reinstatement, and I'm not thinking about the subject now. Period." ...

He keeps saying the word is, and i can't think of one time this guy was right about ne thing other than something the reports about a trade that has actually been reported by 5 different channels b4 he gets to it.

Destined4Greatness
03-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Too bad the Pacers did file a petition for reinstatement. Good job ESPN.

diamonddave00
03-05-2005, 01:18 PM
The Pacers are going to file papers for Ron's reinstatement, they have still not done it tho. I still think we will not see Ron Artest on the court this season in an NBA game.

I find the comment of Stern's strong feelings for Mel and Herb Simon very laughable. If he truely had those feelings he owed it to them to not give any glimmer of hope if he has no intention of letting Artest return.

As with 99% of all Pacer fans , I hope I'm wrong. But #91 will not be a part of this team as an active player this season(or playoffs).

If Ronnie returns next season , I hope he is not #91 . The whole thing thats gone on this season plus fact its to honor Rodman leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Bball
03-05-2005, 02:09 PM
This really needs a different title. While it is an accuracte title, and deserving of being posted (IMHO), it is new speculation based on old news we've already heard.

Everyone of us who has speculated on theories one way or another has heard the same stuff, and more, since All Star break.

Even the comment Stein seems to be using...

"I don't want to spend too much time on the Ron Artest matter. I'm a victim of my own inability to say that I like never to say never. But I don't anticipate that there will be an application for reinstatement, and I'm not thinking about the subject now. Period."
... isn't closing the door. That's not to say Stein isn't right in his conclusion but based on everything else it seems he is getting there with incomplete info and jumping to some conclusions. If he has something more definitive then he should use it.

Of course maybe it is the phrasing and order the article is written. Had this been last it would've seemed to be more definitive.

Stern never intended to allow Artest to return for the playoffs; word is he simply didn't want to make Indiana's punishment even harsher than it already is by publicly crushing reinstatement hopes.
As it is it seems tied with the first part I quoted. Like that is the piece that ties it all together. It doesn't. We already know Bird has 'said' the Pacers plan to draft a letter asking for reinstatement.

-Bball

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 02:12 PM
This is nothing new.

Kegboy
03-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Now that its been said for the 10,000 time that Ron is not coming back this season will people finally believe it?

I'm afraid that after the regular season, when the playoffs start and the Pacers are not in them, there will still be people saying, "Well, maybe Stern will let Ron come back and let us play in the playoffs even though we didn't qualify."

And then, after the playoffs are over, there will be people that say, "Everybody knows that the full Pacers team could have beaten [insert name of NBA Champion here]. Maybe Stern will set up a "Super Series" between us and [NBA Champion], and let Ron play for that."

Suaveness
03-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Maybe we can just retroactively add Ron's PPG average from the first 9 games into our point total from every game he's missed. We'd be unstoppable!

Just think about it...champagne and caviar for the world champs!

blanket
03-05-2005, 03:10 PM
OK, go ahead and clarify the thread title to "ESPN Speculates..." if you want.

Sorry if posting this rubbed anyone the wrong way -- it was one of the news items listed for today from HoopsHype.com, so I thought it was current... oh well.

Bball
03-05-2005, 03:23 PM
OK, go ahead and clarify the thread title to "ESPN Speculates..." if you want.

Sorry if posting this rubbed anyone the wrong way -- it was one of the news items listed for today from HoopsHype.com, so I thought it was current... oh well.

It didn't rub me the wrong way in that you posted it... Just that Stein was mostly rehashing old news. It did have a new angle in it about Stern and the Simons but Stein didn't really tie things up well to get to his conclusion. Maybe he left some things unsaid. In any case I think it was deserving of posting... I just think the title of the thread could be a little different. Saying "ESPN News: No Reinstatement for Ron" makes it sound like a breaking story with Stern answering a Pacer request for reinstatement. But I don't think you intentionally used that title for provocation or anything. I'm not mad or about to go on a rant towards you. :D

Heck, if the mods would just add a question mark it would make all the difference in the world:
ESPN News: No Reinstatement for Ron?

-Bball

Sollozzo
03-05-2005, 03:27 PM
It's about gotten to the point where I dont think reinstating Ron would make a huge difference.

This team has been through way too much, too many injuries, too many suspensions...........

grace
03-05-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't have any problem with you posting the article. What I do have a problem with is everyone who still thinks Ron is going to come back this season. The way I see it there is no way in :censored: he's coming back this year. As long as there are still people like Tim Leglar around to say Stern shouldn't let him come back he's not coming back.

Life is not fair. David Stern does not give one :censored: about what happens to the Pacers.

Speed Freak
03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
It's about gotten to the point where I dont think reinstating Ron would make a huge difference.

This team has been through way too much, too many injuries, too many suspensions...........

Exactly! In all seriousness, what does Ron coming back this year accomplish? Of course we all want to be more competitive and have a full-strength team, but I just don't see that happening this year. Even if Ron is reinstated.

We have too many players suffering from nagging injuries to be play-off-competitive at this point, even with Ronny. Injuries have shaken this team up into so many different variations that it's impossible to get into a routine. Our game-plan has to change every night. Adding Ron to that situation continues to alter the game plan without any guarantee that he'll really get to play with a healthy Jamaal or Jermaine. What do we gain from Ron Artest returning without Jamaal or Jermaine playing? Seriously. We get the satisfaction of watching him play again, but will it really help the team get that far with our current situation? I'm not sure it will.

And the argument that David Stern doesn't want this dragged through the summer and into next season is valid, but only for Stern's goals. It may well stem the publicity over this throughout the summer, but I doubt it will equate to a huge difference in wins or play-off accomplishments.

However, by no means is this team/season a write-off. Maybe we don't accomplish a championship or advance deep into the play-offs. What we have accomplished though is giving our younger players plenty of playing time to develope their confidence in NBA games. We're increasing their value to the team next year by knowing what each is capable of and we're increasing their possible trade value over the summer by being able to show them off a little more.

I guess I'm kind of tired of hoping for Ron's return, and frankly, I just don't see it making a huge impact on an already injury decimated team. Perhaps I'm living by the "expect the worst and you'll be less likely to be let down, and more surprised when something better happens" motto. I guess that's just the cynic in me.

Bball
03-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Exactly! In all seriousness, what does Ron coming back this year accomplish? Of course we all want to be more competitive and have a full-strength team, but I just don't see that happening this year. Even if Ron is reinstated.

We have too many players suffering from nagging injuries to be play-off-competitive at this point, even with Ronny. Injuries have shaken this team up into so many different variations that it's impossible to get into a routine. Our game-plan has to change every night. Adding Ron to that situation continues to alter the game plan without any guarantee that he'll really get to play with a healthy Jamaal or Jermaine. What do we gain from Ron Artest returning without Jamaal or Jermaine playing? Seriously. We get the satisfaction of watching him play again, but will it really help the team get that far with our current situation? I'm not sure it will.

And the argument that David Stern doesn't want this dragged through the summer and into next season is valid, but only for Stern's goals. It may well stem the publicity over this throughout the summer, but I doubt it will equate to a huge difference in wins or play-off accomplishments.

However, by no means is this team/season a write-off. Maybe we don't accomplish a championship or advance deep into the play-offs. What we have accomplished though is giving our younger players plenty of playing time to develope their confidence in NBA games. We're increasing their value to the team next year by knowing what each is capable of and we're increasing their possible trade value over the summer by being able to show them off a little more.

I guess I'm kind of tired of hoping for Ron's return, and frankly, I just don't see it making a huge impact on an already injury decimated team. Perhaps I'm living by the "expect the worst and you'll be less likely to be let down, and more surprised when something better happens" motto. I guess that's just the cynic in me.

Too much common sense used in this post. Please try to manage a hate-filled rant against Stern or the media... blame ESPN... and tell us Reggie will soon be grabbing his cape and sending us to basktball nirvana.

A mention of Ron returning for the playoffs that was told to you by your dog in a dream would also work well here ;)

-Bball

Speed Freak
03-05-2005, 06:18 PM
A mention of Ron returning for the playoffs that was told to you by your dog in a dream would also work well here ;)

-Bball

Hmm... well there was this one dream my dog had... ;)

Roaming Gnome
03-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Yawn... :sleep:

heywoode
03-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Bball:

I think one thing we gain if RA gets to come back this year is that he gets worked back in to game experience and gets some game time with some of the B and C team players that he hasn't spent much time with. I know he's been practicing with them and the rest of the team for a while now, but that is nothing like game minutes.

His coming back would also add to his self esteem heading in to an off season. Even with getting to practice, he still probably feels pretty low about the distraction he's been and what he caused for the entire franchise and/or league. I'm not saying he caused it all by himself (and I'm sure that argument has been made here long ago), but I still feel like letting him back in gets the closure started THIS YEAR instead of at the start of next year. If we want to hit the ground running next year, getting Ron worked back in to being a 100%, 24/7 fully functioning contributor on this team is a must....

I don't want to be welcoming back a stranger when training camp opens for next season. I want to start the healing process NOW....

That is what I think Stern has been thinking about, and that is the reason I think that he'll be back this year, and not just for the playoffs. If there is no guarantee we will make the playoffs, and I agree that there isn't, letting him come back for the playoffs does nothing if we don't make them.......

All this is obviously just my opinion, but I wanted to see if anyone else thought that there were reasons to let RA come back this year as opposed to next.....

<edit> oops, I meant to reply to speed freak, not Bball!!