PDA

View Full Version : I tell you how happy I was seeing Dale Davis back in the Blue & gold..

Peck
03-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Jeff Foster didn't offend me last night. ;)

In all seriousness I've said it several times in the past, my problem wasn't really just Foster. It was the fact that he played one of the two positions where, IMO, you need physical force to defend. Since I pretty much have to live with O'Neal, you know because of all the M.V.P. stuff, then I usually am forced to focus my wrath on Foster.

But with Dale on the floor providing the force, & man did he provide it, I began to actually appreciate Foster & what he brings. Totally differant style of game than Dale's, but usefull alongside someone like Dale nonetheless.

One of the things that I want people to observe with Dale is the fact that he plays rough physical defense, yet very rarely fouls. If he provides us with nothing else for the rest of his career, if he can teach some of that to David Harrison (& Foster for that matter) then he will still be worth whatever we pay him.

I know I know it's another Dale Davis thread. I can't help it.

As crappy as this season has been, as bad as things have gotten, I will cling to this like the last floating piece of wood from a shipwreck. Dale Davis is home :buddies:

A-Train
03-05-2005, 08:27 AM
(I don't want to start another Dale thread, so I'll post this here)

I just watched ESPN's highlights from the game last night. No mention of Dale Davis. Nothing.

How can his return to the Pacers not be worth SOME kind of mention???? I didn't expect a full segment on Dale, but nothing?

They also didn't mention that Jermaine went on the IL because of his shoulder. Nothing said about that, either.

Good grief.

Hicks
03-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Yes, I've noticed whenever NBATV or ESPN has highlites of our game, they seem to always mention who is out for the other team, but pretend we're 100%.

Peck
03-05-2005, 08:30 AM
(I don't want to start another Dale thread, so I'll post this here)

I just watched ESPN's highlights from the game last night. No mention of Dale Davis. Nothing.

How can his return to the Pacers not be worth SOME kind of mention???? I didn't expect a full segment on Dale, but nothing?

They also didn't mention that Jermaine went on the IL because of his shoulder. Nothing said about that, either.

Good grief.

That is the wonder of NBAtv. I haven't watched one min. of sportscenter for about 5 years. Other than the days after 11/19.

However, NBAtv in their coverage of the game barely mentioned Dale either.

Alabama-Redneck
03-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Who is Dan Davidson or Dan Davis or Dale Davis or what ever his name is ?? :confused: :o :blush: :D

I'm just kidding :laugh:

:cool:

Peck
03-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Who is Dan Davidson or Dan Davis or Dale Davis or what ever his name is ?? :confused: :o :blush: :D

I'm just kidding :laugh:

:cool:

Dan Davidson owns a Honda dealership

Dan Davis is a photogopher

Dale Davis is the master & lord of the universe :) :devil:

Ragnar
03-05-2005, 09:13 AM
With Dale blocking out it made Foster even more effective. It seemed like Jeff and Cro both got some rebounds that were made possible by Dale blocking out. Did anyone else think Reggies good game might have had a lot to do with Dale being back on the team?

It felt sooooooo good to see him in a Pacer uniform again. I have always thought that we really missed out on not having Mark Jackson arround to tutor J.T. When D.H. started playing I thought about how it is too bad Dale was not here to teach him. AND NOW HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Peck, Why then do you always want Croshere to play instead of Foster.

Peck
03-05-2005, 06:20 PM
You'll notice that I didn't say a word about Cro being in there with Dale instead of J.O.

The reason I have been for Cro with O'Neal is because (I know you disagree) but I have always thought Austin played a more physical game than Jeff did.

When it came to rebounding in traffic it just seemed to me that Cro would come away with ones that Jeff just wouldn't.

Also because I do not consider Jeff the defender you do, I felt that his offensive liability's way out did his defensive play. Dale on the other hand I consider a lockdown defender so I'm more than willing to give up some offense because of this.

I put Jeff above Cro as a defender, but not by much & when it comes to low post players I don't give him an edge at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cro & Dale out there together, however I am also not offended by the Foster, Dale combo. As long as the other three are going to score it seems like an ok combo.

The test will be Sunday when we play the Lakers. Foster on Odom should be able to prove your point, let's see if it does.

brichard
03-05-2005, 08:26 PM
The most cheerful thing Dale brought tonight was a team commitment to defense. There are some players that can make their team members play harder on "D" because of their effort and sheer will. I think DD is the only one who had any blocks tonight, and I know he altered some shots. We finally seemed to realize that if we want to win a game, we must stop the other team from scoring. The Blazers scored most of their points on some pretty tough shots.

The only bad thing was that somebody stuffed him hard on offense, but I'm willing to forego that for his other attributes. It is funny, I don't remember the game (NY?) but there was a playoff game where Dale was at the 3pt line, put it on the floor, and threw down a moster jam in the playoffs. One of my favorite Dale moments.

We have some very unique looks to give people now. With Croshere, Foster, Dale, Harrison, and Pollard we have quite a bit of hustle under the basket. And reallly, that word can be applied to all of these guys. I love "effort" or "glue" guys.

The hard part for me is to know really where Dale will tap out for us. His timing must be off b/c he hasn't played much. What he has lost with age will become apparent with time. If he can do 10 and 10 I'd be very, very pleased.

I do think this team could really, really, really use his offense. IMO he is a much better scorer than Foster or Pollard. Pollard, for all of his lovable qualities, is just painful to watch on offense. If he can't dunk he might as well pass. :)

Welcome back D to the second power!

:bowdown:

We're not worthy!!!
We're not worthy!!!

sweabs
03-05-2005, 08:42 PM
If he can do 10 and 10 I'd be very, very pleased.

So would I, considering that is basically what he averaged in his prime...

MSA2CF
03-05-2005, 09:18 PM
brichard, this may or may not be the clip you're thinking of...

http://www.nba.com/theater/video/davis_d_dunk_5_cc929.mov

brichard
03-05-2005, 11:01 PM
So would I, considering that is basically what he averaged in his prime...

I kind of figured somebody might say that. :)

But really, if he plays the minutes aren't those stats realistic? Heck, I'll take 8 and 8 if he has slipped. :)

brichard
03-05-2005, 11:04 PM
brichard, this may or may not be the clip you're thinking of...

http://www.nba.com/theater/video/davis_d_dunk_5_cc929.mov

That is a great clip, but the one I'm thinking of (if my memory hasn't slipped!) is more of a half-court set. It was one of those things where nobody thought he would put it on the floor, and there was an alley big enough to drive a truck through to the lane. It was kind of like when Reggie dunked in the NJ playoff series. Everybody just scratched their heads and said "Did he really just do that?"

Thanks for the clip though... good stuff!

Charcoal Filtered
03-06-2005, 12:56 AM
It was great seeing Dale back in Portland in a Pacer uniform. Seeing him wear a Blazer uni was just not right.

Despite playing almost the entire first quarter, not once did I see him get winded. He still does all the little pesky things that do not show up in the box score. Even with sitting on the bench in New Orleans and the second half last year with Portland, Dale showed no signs of rust. If anything, he looked better because there were no signs of him favoring his shoulder.

Portland is a really easy team to beat right now, but you have to like our first game under the second reign of Dale.

Deadshot
03-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Seeing Dale back was great - us Pacers fans know that we shouldn't depend on him to save the season, but we will end up doing it anyway ;)

But seriously, I can't wait to see his return to Conseco and the Indiana fans.

MSA2CF
03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Sorry about that, VA. I don't know what the problem is, but see if this one works...I know it's different, but it's a cool clip:

http://www.nba.com/theater/video/davis_d_dunk_042398.mov

Deadshot
03-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Haha - that's the picture that was used on his Topps Bazooka rookie card. He looks like he has sad puppy-dog eyes.