PDA

View Full Version : Portland game report

geetee
03-05-2005, 05:41 AM
I'm a major lurker on this bord and don't post very often... but since I just got back from the Pacers/Blazers game, I thought I'd do my duty and try to give some type of game report.

This won't be as in-depth as some of the other excellent posters we have here and unfortunately I can't pass along any good news about getting a hold of any player souveniers... But here are my thoughts on the game anyway.

The whole family (wife, myself and our 16 year old son and daughter (twins)) went and I splurged for good seats... seven rows behind the Blazers bench. It was great to see Reggie, Dale and everyone, but I was disappointed that Jermaine was out.

Before the game, the Blazer PA guy gave a 2 or 3 minute commentary on Reggie and his accomplishments... including highlights of Reggie's Knick killer game on the big screen. I thought it was a great gesture. In addition, the Blazers donated a check to Reggie for his Reggie Miller Foundation charity. Pretty classy stuff.

During warmups, for some reason, Reggie chucked one of the practice basketballs as high as he could in the air and it looked like it came down on Quinn Buckner's head. Don't know what that was all about.

Observations of the game...
-When the starting lineups were announced, and Fred was running the point, I have to admit that I was thrilled. I didn't know how well he'd do, but there's just something I like about having Fred start out with the ball on all our possesions. I did notice some confusion between him and Jax a few times though.
-It was nice having Dale in the game, his presence and blocking out definetly made an impact on our rebounding. It was good to out rebound an opponent.
-Wow did we get alot of layups and dunk attempts blocked. Portland has some great athlete's and I too agree that they should be better than their record.
-Freddie's dunk was unbelievable. Even their home crowd could not contain themselves and cheered. I could not believe how fast he got to the rim.
-Always watching the P's on TV never gave me the insight on how much Foster hustles. Portland was running every chance they got and I continuously saw Jeff sprinting as fast as he could to get in position. Dale looked a little slow getting back down.
-Zach Randolf was out which didn't hurt much. Darius Miles more than made up for him however. The dude could not miss it seemed. Alas he faded in the 4th qtr.
-I wished I could of seen Harrison play.
-Giving props to Jax. He hit some really tough shots late in the game.
-Props to Reggie as well. It was great to see him play well.
-Portland has a great crowd with all the turmoil they have been through. Even though my whole family was decked out in Pacer's gear, everyone around us was courteous and were quite friendly and willing to talk about Pacer basketball, mainly about Freddie and Jermaine of course.

Now that we won the game, I hope nothing but the best for Portland.

It was a great game and we had a great time. It was also a great way to remember Reggie playing live for the last time.

stew
03-05-2005, 06:13 AM
nice post...

always great to read post game reports.. especially for us that cant even watch the game on tv...

cheers

Bball
03-05-2005, 07:15 AM
During warmups, for some reason, Reggie chucked one of the practice basketballs as high as he could in the air and it looked like it came down on Quinn Buckner's head. Don't know what that was all about.

That could be dangerous... At least it landed someplace it couldn't do any damage! :devil:

;)

-Bball

pacerwaala
03-05-2005, 07:34 AM
great report. good post.

That was pretty classy of the Portland TrailBlazers to have done that for Reggie.

3ptmiller
03-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes man wish i was there to! Great post btw...

:laugh:

Hicks
03-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Good post. :)

Peck
03-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Portland has always been classy about Pro's when they retire. I remember when Dave Cowens (sp?) retired & they presented him with a hammer mounted on a plaque. Because he had hammered on them his entire career.

They presented Kareem with a rocking chair at mid-court. That was funny & he got a huge kick out of it.

Our team sucks at this, btw. We never even mentioned the last game when the Admiral was retiring or Hakeem. Nothing, nadda, zip.

I think every team should at least mention when a player is playing his last game in their arena. I know it's hard to imagine, but it would be the classy thing to do instead of just boo them, actually send them out with applause out of respect.

Every Pacer fan should have given Pat Ewing a standing ovation when he played his last game here. I'm ashamed that we didn't. You are only as good as your opponet is, IMO. Ewing made us reach for higher goals.

Oops sorry about that, I didn't mean to go off on my Ewing didn't get a goodbye speech.

Nice game report & I'm jealos as hell because you got to be there for Dale's first game as a Pacer.

Hicks
03-05-2005, 09:19 AM
And yes, that's very nice of the Trailblazers to do all of that for Reggie Miller before the game. I remember hearing back a couple years ago how they were sort of the Pacers West when it came to their city/state and team, and I'm getting a sense of why people say that. They just need to stop getting crappy characters out on the court.

Peck
03-05-2005, 09:21 AM
And yes, that's very nice of the Trailblazers to do all of that for Reggie Miller before the game. I remember hearing back a couple years ago how they were sort of the Pacers West when it came to their city/state and team, and I'm getting a sense of why people say that. They just need to stop getting crappy characters out on the court.

Wow, I think they might say the same thing about us.

Now if you mean off court, then ok, but on court.....

Hicks
03-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Well, I said on court to imply it's the players, rather than management or coaches. But yes their problems are from what they, the players, do OFF court.

grace
03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't know if anyone has said anything about this yet so I'm just going to do it here. About Portland's new coach, Kevin Pritchard. Has anyone seen or heard anything anywhere about where he's from?

Why am I bringing it up? He's from Indiana.

The brother we never talk about called Kegboy before the game last night. Seems that in junior high Kevin and another guy schooled the brother we never talk about and a friend of his in a game of pick up basketball at Conner. Sometime after that the Pritchards moved to Oklahoma.

Just a little worthless piece of trivia for everyone. :)

ABADays
03-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the game report. You wouldn't happen to be the fans in Pacer uniforms they showed on TV after the game were you?

I didn't get to see but about 1/2 of the 4th quarter. Why didn't Harrison play?

grace
03-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Why didn't Harrison play?

Dale Davis.