PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Day for Freddy

Roy Munson
03-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Today at around noon PST Freddy returned to his old high school (Barlow High School in Gresham, Oregon), where they had a very inspirational and touching ceremony in front of a lot of community and about 2,000 students of the school where they retired his No. 20.

While in high school Freddy was the first player ever in Oregon to be named state player of the year twice. Danny Ainge didn't accomplish that. Damon Stoudamire didn't accomplish that. But Freddy did.

The ceremony was very nice (according to those in attendance who told me about it) and it focused on Freddy's character and Christian faith. Stephen Jackson accompanied Freddy...Freddy introduced him as his best friend on the Pacers. They showed a video highlight of Freddy as a high school player. They had several speakers including his youth coach, his high school coach, former high school teammates and teachers. Freddy's nephew and cousin, who are current students at the school were also involved, along with his parents.

It was a real nice day for Freddy, and it was great to see that his day was capped off with such a good performance in the game tonight.

Ragnar
03-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Cool glad to see that he got the start and did well after that.

sweabs
03-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Is it just me, or does Stephen Jackson seem to get along with everybody on our team? He must be a very likeable guy / teammate.

It has been mentioned before, but he may be that 'glue' that holds Jermaine and Ron's relationship together. I have also heard that he is a very vocal guy in the locker room and leads the team in prayer among other things.

Not only did he fill in an area (shooting guard) in desperate need of help, but it also seems like he is closer to everyone than Baby Al was. I still like that trade...especially with Dale coming back.

As for Freddie's presentation, it sure sounded nice...thanks for the summary. Seeing that it happened today, and must have been quite a touching experience; it most certainly had an effect on his great play tonight.

Perhaps every road team should give Freddie a similar assembly? :D

Jermaniac
03-05-2005, 01:54 AM
Yeah everyone seems to like Jack. This team has been through so much together I couldnt imagine them not being close. I mean JO and Jack lost about what 4 million dollars combined fighting for Ron.

grace
03-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Is it just me, or does Stephen Jackson seem to get along with everybody on our team? He must be a very likeable guy / teammate.

Its not his personality. Its the car he drives. They do all ride together.

:lmao: Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

heywoode
03-05-2005, 10:26 AM
haha!

nice one, Grace!

Tim
03-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Not only did he fill in an area (shooting guard) in desperate need of help, but it also seems like he is closer to everyone than Baby Al was. I still like that trade...especially with Dale coming back.

Al and JO are best friends, JO also said Al was the player closest to Ron.

I am trying not to talk about Al too much but here I had to speak up, Al still has strong bonds here. I think you can confirm this with Sassan since he recently spend a lot of time with the players in Atlanta.

sweabs
03-05-2005, 11:34 AM

I am trying not to talk about Al too much but here I had to speak up, Al still has strong bonds here. I think you can confirm this with Sassan since he recently spend a lot of time with the players in Atlanta.

So, what you're saying is that Al got along with JO and Ron. That is exactly the same with Jackson...and by the sounds of things, Jackson gets along with everyone else equally well. Jackson is also more vocal in the locker room.

And, one thing I don't miss about Al is his frequent pouting.

Bball
03-05-2005, 12:00 PM

I know you think the NBA revolves around Al ( ;) ) but we were told that Brewer and Ron were the best 'pals' by the Star. There was a feature story on it if I recall correctly. At the least there was a major mention of this relationship. And in other stories we had Ron lobbying for Jamison (Brewer).

Many took it to be Ron taking Brewer under his wing but upon further review I'm thinking it went the other way (Brewer taking Ron under his wing).

I'm having a hard time imagining Al getting close to Artest for a lot of reasons (High on the list: Ron directly took his starting job and we've been told Ron wasn't close to his teammates. That would make Al one of the least likely to be warm to Ron).

Freddy getting his number retired is very nice for Freddy. Nice to hear.
-Bball

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 01:11 PM
I love it when Fred gets a long rebound or outlet pass and takes it all the way, he is really fast. The crazy thing is everyone knows where he is going but they can't stop him.

I just love watching Fred play

Suaveness
03-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Fred is my hero, he is so freaking amazing as a basketball player. I was kind of surprised he played well as a PG yesterday, but as you can tell, Fred plays really well when he is starting. He is more inclined to shoot than he normally is. I hope he continues to shoot the ball more and more, because it has become a strength of his. That three he made at the end of the game was just huge. I really do think he is one of the best players on this team.

SjA3837
03-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Not only his quickness, and jumping ability, but everytime he shoots the ball now, I actually feel really confidant that it's going in.

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I also like Freddie's demeanor on the court. He always seems in control of his emotions and yet he has a confident or cockiness to him.

PacerMan
03-05-2005, 03:11 PM

It has been mentioned before, but he may be that 'glue' that holds Jermaine and Ron's relationship together. I have also heard that he is a very vocal guy in the locker room and leads the team in prayer among other things.

As for Freddie's presentation, it sure sounded nice...thanks for the summary. Seeing that it happened today, and must have been quite a touching experience; it most certainly had an effect on his great play tonight.

Perhaps every road team should give Freddie a similar assembly? :D

Every does seem to live Stephen. Every one did like Big Al. There's no improvement there.

PacerMan
03-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Al was the emotional leader of this team over the past few years. (Reggie was the leader elsewhere till Jermaine) His enthusiasm and energy rubbed off on everyone. The team basically collapsed 3(4?) years ago when he went down with his knee injury. Jermaine passed him in importance (as did Ron) post-injury, but Al was the man the team looked to for strength and energy.
I wish to H*LL we had traded Ron when we could have (if we could have) and kept Al. Oh well, it was his choice to go.

sweabs
03-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Every does seem to live Stephen. Every one did like Big Al. There's no improvement there.

Stephen is much more of a vocal leader than Al ever was, and his teammates respect him for that.

Bball
03-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Dammit... my computer is jumbling the words and letters in posts again!

:devil:

-Bball

sweabs
03-05-2005, 03:17 PM
but Al was the man the team looked to for strength and energy.

Then I sure hope they never saw him pouting on the sidelines when he was playing bad or got pulled.

Oh...2999 posts...better make the next one good!

Pig Nash
03-05-2005, 03:20 PM
or you could just reply to this post. or ooo! go and resurrect the spam thread. i'll let you.