PDA

View Full Version : The Dale Davis effect

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 01:31 AM
What did everyone think of Dale.

As was mentioned in the game thread, it seemed strangely familar to see Dale in a Pacers uniform again, almost like he never left.

I sorta likes the Dale and Jeff combo. Gives them plenty of rebounding, great offensive rebounding. And thankfully Dale blocks out unlike J.O who never blocks out. Dale and Jeff can work as a tandem as long as you have three other scorers on the floor, I think that is why Rick started Fred Jones. Although against the really good teams Pacers will need a low post presense

It was great to see Dale back in a Pacers uniform, he's back where he belongs. As we all said he brings a physical presense that has been lacking especially with Ron out and Al traded.

Seemed to me Dale set some great picks and freed Jax and Reggie.

Jermaniac
03-05-2005, 01:33 AM
I loved Dale out there, he looked great in the Pacers uniform. He was very good on the defensive end and on the offensive glass, once he works him self in with the team he will get a few points in for us also. Things would be much worse if JO went down and we didnt have Dale thats why its so great that we have him back.

Man can you imagine our D out there with Dale and Ron?

Hicks
03-05-2005, 01:34 AM
I like what I saw. Is he what he was 5 years ago? No. But he's a noticable presence out on the floor, he's still physical, he's still tough, he still rebounds, and he still plays good to very good defense. Great pickup, and I'm very happy to have him back as a Pacer.

Hicks
03-05-2005, 01:35 AM
I wasn't paying attention to it, but I recall in the game thread others noticing him setting some good picks as well.

Peck
03-05-2005, 01:37 AM
I had to think both of us would be very happy about the entire fact that in a close game with time running out our defense really stepped up & put this away for us. Well, that & some timely three point shots from Reggie & Jax.

I read the game log & I was shocked that people weren't griping about Dale to be honest because stat wise he wasn't really putting up #'s.

But anybody who ever watched Dale play very often knows that you cannot judge a Dale Davis game by the boxscore.

For instance that stand at the end where he shut Mighty Mouse down will show up as a steal for Fred Jones, but if you watched it you know that Dale was 1/2 responsible for that.

He also took Pryzbila totally out of the game in the 4th quarter.

I will even give Foster credit, I thought he played a solid game & had several rebounds that were of the physical variety.

I don't know how often that combo will work, but like you said as long as the other three can score it will be probably ok. As far as post players go, we don't have any, other than Harrison who is going to be the odd man out.

BTW, it's no coincidence that the first person Reggie went & hugged after the game was Dale.

Man that was great.

Also I think the combo of Pollard & Croshere did a very good job in the first half to keep us competative as well.

ABADays
03-05-2005, 01:39 AM
DD brought EXACTLY what I thought he would to this team. Anybody who had any questions got them answered tonight.

Ragnar
03-05-2005, 01:41 AM
If we are going to lose Jermaine for 6 weeks thank God we got Dale back. I know he wont bring the scoring that Jermaine brings but if Jamaal gets back when we have Freddie, Jack and Jamaal in the game they will score enough to take the load off the pf position. (and of course Reggie when he is having his throw back games who knows maybe he will have more of them now)

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 01:52 AM
You can never judge Dale Davis by his stats, you have to watch the game to begin to see the impact he has on the game.

Pollard got a few key offensive rebounds early in the 4th quarter.

Pacers will hopefully resemble the Seattle Supersonics for the next few weeks.

One side note: everyone will say the Pacers offense flows better without J.O. And you know what it does flow better, but then again the Miami Heat's offense flows better when Shaq is out also.

edit: This was probably the Pacers best rebounding game of the season.

Arcadian
03-05-2005, 03:09 AM
It's amazing how much better a team rebounds when both big men block out. I wonder if JO took note.

Peck
03-05-2005, 04:42 AM
You can never judge Dale Davis by his stats, you have to watch the game to begin to see the impact he has on the game.

Pollard got a few key offensive rebounds early in the 4th quarter.

Pacers will hopefully resemble the Seattle Supersonics for the next few weeks.

One side note: everyone will say the Pacers offense flows better without J.O. And you know what it does flow better, but then again the Miami Heat's offense flows better when Shaq is out also.

edit: This was probably the Pacers best rebounding game of the season.

Man that Sonics analogy at first had me winceing, but then it sunk in. Your right, I do hope we become that now because it is our best hope.

I also understand what you are saying about J.O. but I just keep seeing that it is no coincidence that when he goes out Reggie Miller becomes a player again. I want to see how long he can do it, but it's almost like clockwork now. J.O. goes out & Reggie gets 7 years younger, J.O. comes back & Reggie just throws it to him.

But I also understand to advance in the east in the playoffs you better have some form of post game & as of right now we don't have any. Dale, for all of the good things about him, just is not an offensive player. (although I do expect him to score more than he did last night)

Either way can you fathom a front court of Jeff, Dale & Ron? It may happen in the next couple of weeks.

Steveman
03-05-2005, 08:20 AM
can you fathom a front court of Jeff, Dale & Ron? It may happen in the next couple of weeks.
Man I'd love to see that! When Dale was with us before he was the enforcer, the intimidator, an undeniable presense down low. Ron is also somewhat an intimidator ... though perhaps not quite as menacing as Dale. With those two in the frontcourt together, opposing teams would be affraid to approach their basket, LOL!

MagicRat
03-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I also understand what you are saying about J.O. but I just keep seeing that it is no coincidence that when he goes out Reggie Miller becomes a player again. I want to see how long he can do it, but it's almost like clockwork now. J.O. goes out & Reggie gets 7 years younger, J.O. comes back & Reggie just throws it to him.

From Pacers.com...

STAT OF THE GAME In nine games in which he has played and Jermaine O'Neal has not, Reggie Miller has averaged 19.3 points, including 24 against Portland. In his other 33 games, Miller has averaged 10.5 points.

grace
03-05-2005, 10:52 AM
From Pacers.com...

STAT OF THE GAME In nine games in which he has played and Jermaine O'Neal has not, Reggie Miller has averaged 19.3 points, including 24 against Portland. In his other 33 games, Miller has averaged 10.5 points.

I suppose that means JO should just stay on the bench so we can all enjoy watching Reggie play his last few games. :shrug:

Pacerized
03-05-2005, 11:25 AM
With what we have to work with, we couldn't put a better lineup on the floor then what Rick started last night. With Dale, and Jeff you give up scoring, so we have to have Fred on the floor. I can tell you from playing the 4 myself, you really appreciate having another big man that blocks out with you.
The star article didn't indicate that J.O. would be out much longer then 5 games. I think the Pacer's can hold the fort down until he's back.

Kegboy
03-05-2005, 02:38 PM
As I've said elsewhere, the one problem I had with Dale is he appears to lost his vertical game. Maybe it's just conditioning, but his feet seem to be nailed to the floor. He still screened very well and was decent boxing out, but when guys went up, there wasn't much he could do. Even his one block was more arms than legs.

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Dale was never a very quick leaper, nor was he a guy who could jump again and again, he has to gather himself to jump. AD was a better and quicker jumper

I thought Dale looked good to me consdering he's played one game in the past 3 weeks or so