PDA

View Full Version : NBA to have age limit as soon as next year (20 yrs. old)

Hicks
03-04-2005, 08:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/index.html

Age before beauty

Players young and old set to give NBA age limit

Posted: By Marty Burns; Friday March 4, 2005 1:09PM; Updated: Friday March 4, 2005 1:09PM

<script language=\"\&quot;JavaScript\&quot;\" src="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/ssi/js/2.0/clickability/button2356_1.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script language="JavaScript"> window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.locati on.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href; </script> http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/clickability/email_alerts.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/alerts/writers/) http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/clickability/email_this.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/index.html#) http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/clickability/print_this.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/index.html#) http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/clickability/save_this.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/index.html#) http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/clickability/most_popular.gif (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/index.html#)
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="310"> <tbody><tr><td width="10">http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif</td><td class="cnnImgAdPad" width="300"> http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/t1_howard.jpg
Had the age limit proposed by the NBA been in effect now, Orlando's Dwight Howard wouldn't have made his pro debut until 2006.
Fernando Medina/NBAE via Getty Images

</td></tr><tr><td width="10">http://i.cnn.net/si/images/1.gif</td><td class="cnnStoryCLpad">

<script>if(cnnEnableCL){if(!(location.hostname.indexOf('cn n.com')>-1)) {cnnAddCSI('contextualLinks','/.element/ssi/misc/2.0/contextual/story.html','');}else{ cnnAddCSI('contextualLinks','http://cl.cnn.com/ctxtlink/jsp/si/cl/2.0/si-story.jsp','category=sihome&url=http:/\/robots.cnnsi.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/index.html&desccharcnt=80&site=cnn_si_dyn_ctxt&origin=si');}}</script><iframe src="http://cl.cnn.com/ctxtlink/jsp/si/cl/2.0/si-story.jsp?domId=contextualLinks&time=1109990074917&category=sihome&url=http://robots.cnnsi.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/03/04/age.limit/index.html&desccharcnt=80&site=cnn_si_dyn_ctxt&origin=si" name="iframecontextualLinks" id="iframecontextualLinks" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" align="right" height="0" width="0"></iframe></td></tr></tbody> </table> The NBA's Romper Room could soon be closing down. The league and its players seem to be nearing agreement on a minimum age limit of 20, which could go into effect as soon as next season. The exact terms still have to be negotiated as part of the upcoming new labor agreement, but the consensus around the league is that it will get done.

"It's going to happen," agent Bill Duffy said. "There appears to be enough bilateral support now."

Concerned about the flood of high school and college underclassmen flowing into the pro ranks in recent years, NBA commissioner David Stern has long supported a minimum age limit of 20. However, the league could not unilaterally impose the restriction; it had to be part of the labor agreement, and the players association was always opposed.

But now there seems to be a feeling among many players that maybe it's not such a bad idea. For one, the old guard is losing jobs to the teen brigade. For another, the youngsters in too many cases just aren't ready to play. "I don't look at [an age limit] as a bad thing," Sonics guard Ray Allen said at last month's All-Star weekend. "I think we're helping out younger guys, not hurting them."

The shift in position by many players in itself doesn't guarantee a deal will get done. The players association continues to view an age limit as a concession, one that will have to be negotiated over the bargaining table. In other words, the NBA might have to give up something to get it done. But if Stern wants it bad enough, he should be able to make it happen.

Meanwhile, mere talk of a limit could lead to an onslaught of high school kids or college frosh into this year's draft. Last year 13 high school kids declared (four withdrew), and some believe even more could declare this year as kids who don't want to go to college try to beat the impending deadline. "I think some are going to look at it more closely now," Duffy said.

Dr Huxtable
03-04-2005, 08:43 PM
YES! NCAA will be a whole lot better.

Kegboy
03-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Please tell me Matt Painter is on Greg Oden's doorstep right now. :pray:

Kstat
03-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Clearly, LeBron James is scaring the crap out of all the established superstars....

They players weren't opposed to this before, because HS players took forever to really accomplish things in the NBA. Now, kids like LeBron James are starting to take ENDORSEMENT dollars away from the stars, and all of a sudden, its a problem....

The players didn't agree to this because they want to help HS kids. They're agreeing to it because they FEAR them.

Jermaniac
03-04-2005, 09:03 PM
They should have put this in earlier so we wouldnt have drafted Bender

Ragnar
03-04-2005, 09:24 PM
So this will be the last draft for H.S. guys turning pro right? At least thats one thing in our favor since this year we will have the best draft pick we will probably have in a long time.(I hope) and the next couple of drafts are probably going to be weak.

Of course after that it will be far far better because these guys will have college playing time and we will be better able to evaluate them.

birdman
03-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Please tell me Matt Painter is on Greg Oden's doorstep right now. :pray:

Keep dreaming man, he is all IU's :D.

3ptmiller
03-04-2005, 10:17 PM
YES! NCAA will be a whole lot better.

So true!! Also i think that the players that come in to NBA from NCAA after the age of 20 they will be better, because more years in NCAA gives players huge intensity, they will play every minute in the game like if it was 10 seconds left on a tied game and it was the final game! :cool:

Cactus Jax
03-04-2005, 11:08 PM
This is going to turn into lawsuit city now.

SycamoreKen
03-04-2005, 11:29 PM
If I was Ogden I would turn pro this year. It has already been stated that he is the best talent not in the league. He can home school his senior year and be set. Who would you rather have on your team? Tony Parker or Rod Strickland? As I've stated before, there have been more college seniors drafted in the lottery that have been busts than high schoolers.

grace
03-05-2005, 10:10 AM
If I was Ogden I would turn pro this year. It has already been stated that he is the best talent not in the league. He can home school his senior year and be set.

I suppose we can put Jamaal in charge of teaching him how to pick up skanky h... I mean women in Denver.

As for the Purdue vs. IU debate if he signs anywhere in the state I'll be shocked. I think he'll go somewhere like Duke or UConn.

Shade
03-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Oden in an IU uni... :drool:

grace
03-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Oden in an IU uni... :drool:

:puke: :suicide:

Put him in a Michigan State uni... :woohoo: :2tup: :happy: :woot:

:carrot: :mango: :pineapple :cucumber: :rock: :apple: :dorange:

:yes:

Shade
03-05-2005, 10:20 AM
:puke: :suicide:

Put him in a Michigan State uni... :woohoo: :2tup: :happy: :woot:

:carrot: :mango: :pineapple :cucumber: :rock: :apple: :dorange:

:yes:

No. :suicide:

Suaveness
03-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Ya Oden Ya LN!!! WOO!

And I love this age limit. They should really go to college, and it WILL improve the way they play.

A-Train
03-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Of course after that it will be far far better because these guys will have college playing time and we will be better able to evaluate them.

Exactly! That's the benefit of a rule like this. The future drafts will actually be stronger because everyone coming out will have played at least a couple of years in college.

While I'm not sure it's the right thing to do, from a constitutional sense, I like what it will most likely accomplish: Fewer HS'ers mucking up the NBA (and salary cap space) based on their potential.

Suaveness
03-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Fewer HS'ers mucking up the NBA (and salary cap space) based on their potential.

What do you MEAN?? There aren't any HSers mucking up the NBA...I mean, look at Bender! What a STUD!!!

FiestyFosterFanatic
03-05-2005, 01:15 PM
I totally agree with this move. There are so many players coming out now that don't amount to anything in the NBA. For every Lebron James, there are 20 Jon Bender's. Many of them don't get drafted, or are cut after their rookie contract run out. What are these guys supposed to do once they don't play ball anymore? They don't have a college degree to fall back on.

Stryder
03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I would like to see it like the NFL rule.

3 years out of high school, not an age limit.

Hell, I just turned 17 when I graduated high school.

But, I hope there is some kind of rule in place soon.

Kegboy
03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Keep dreaming man, he is all IU's :D.

*cough*SEANMAY*cough*

Oh, excuse me. *cough**cough*:-p

Shade
03-05-2005, 03:57 PM
What do you MEAN?? There are many HSers mucking up the NBA...I mean, look at Bender! What a DUD!!!

Fixed. :devil:

Bball
03-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Can they make it retro-active? We can give Bender back to Toronto for their next draft pick.

Or hell... just give him back for some popcorn. We'll still get the better end of the deal. Bender sitting on the bench and once again providing a distraction vs a tasty treat of popcorn for the guys after practice!
:lurk:

-Bball

Suaveness
03-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Fixed. :devil:

Shade, what exactly is Reggie trying to do to Dale from the rear in that picture? :o

grace
03-05-2005, 04:36 PM
So now just because it is posted on a internet message board it must be true..........................

Exactly. Just like my account of the meeting between Ron and the commish is totally true.

grace
03-05-2005, 04:37 PM
*cough*SEANMAY*cough*

Oh, excuse me. *cough**cough*:-p

:D

SycamoreKen
03-05-2005, 10:50 PM
I totally agree with this move. There are so many players coming out now that don't amount to anything in the NBA. For every Lebron James, there are 20 Jon Bender's. Many of them don't get drafted, or are cut after their rookie contract run out. What are these guys supposed to do once they don't play ball anymore? They don't have a college degree to fall back on.

Them not being able to go to college is an NCAA rule, so take that fight where it belongs. Baseball players make the same choices and noone cries a river for them. No one makes the GM's pick these guys anyway. If the league doesn't want to be saddled with young players that might be good some day then don't draft them.

Every player has the choice to go to school or not. If they choose to go into the draft and don't make it, then go to the financial aid office and go to school like everyone else does. If they were stupid enough to think that b-ball was going to be thier ticket in life after high school, then thay get to sleep in the bed they made.

With the more stringent accountablility rules coming into effect in the NBA, schools may shy away from one or two year wonders if they wil hurt them long term.

Jose Slaughter
03-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Can someone clear something up for me.

If I'm reading this right it says players under 20 can't play in the NBA.

Does that mean they can be drafted when they are 18 or 19, play Euro or minor league ball here in the states & then join the team that drafted them when they turn 20?

Or are they going to write the rule so that a player needs to have his 20th birthday before a certain date before he can enter the draft?

Why not say that the player needs 2 years of basketball experience following his classes highschool graduation date. Those 2 years could be college, US minor league or Euro ball?

Is that even legal?

dipperdunk
03-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Or are they going to write the rule so that a player needs to have his 20th birthday before a certain date before he can enter the draft?

They probably won't be allowed to enter the draft unless they turn 20 before a certain date.

Is that even legal?

I think it is okay as long as it is agreed on in collective bargaining otherwise it would be illegal. I think the NFL has a rule and Maurice Clarett challenged it recently in court and was denied because it was agreed on with collective bargaining between the union and the league. I don't know all the particulars of that case but I think that is how it went down. The leagues can't impose the rule unilaterally but if it's in conjunction with the union it is legal.

I don't like 18 year olds in the NBA because to me it hurts the product but I don't agree with the restriction. If the kid is good enough and a team is willing to take the chance the kid should be allowed to play IMO. Larry Hughes left college at 19 because he had a younger brother with a life threatening illness and he needed the $$ for medical care so there are always exceptions and I imagine we'll see someone challenge it.

Peck
03-06-2005, 01:52 AM
I am opposed to an age limit.

I have zero interest in College basketball so I could care less if they get better or worse. In fact I am really opposed to major college programs anyway because of the old student athlete concept, which rarely used to apply to star players.

A real functioning minor league is the way to go. People like Bender could still be drafted but you could put them in Ft. Wayne (or someplace) & see if they could ever really play in the NBA.

I'd much rather a kid who had zero interest in going to school go to the NBDL & let that money go to a kid who wanted to go to school.

Suaveness
03-06-2005, 01:59 PM
As I said I am completely for the age limit. Kids should not be going out into the NBA at such a young age, because they miss out on the important things in life, including getting an education. I don't care how good you are, you always need an education to function well in life. It certainly never hurts, and you do need something to do after you are finished with your NBA career. You cannot just loaf around at home. Not to mention that if you are good enough to enter the NBA, you are more than likely able to get a basketball scholarship so you wouldn't have to pay for your own education. People should take advantage of something like that.

Not only that, but there is the chance to improve your basketball skills when you go to college. It isn't a complete waste of time, and I know that people who come out of college are much more polished than those who aren't. Of course, there are exceptions, case in point Lebron. But there are so many more better people who play the game fundamentally sound, like Duncan. He does all the little things, and he rarely ever makes a mistake. You look at someone like Bender, who could have been much better had he gone through college. He has absolutely no basketball sense, and I have no doubt he could have learned it had he gone.

In my opinion you have everything to gain if you go to college, and 20 is certainly reasonable. This will make the college game a whole lot more fun to watch, and the quality of the future drafts will be much better.

able
03-06-2005, 02:29 PM
the average top 10 pick has about 15 million reasons as to why not go to college, and those are the same reason that the "need" for a degree to "do something with his life" after his bball career is somewhat "nonexistant"
The time of All Stars opening up cigar shops to stay alive after their career is over, with the contracts, the pay and the advisors they are well off the moment they sign.

Even if JB turns out to be a bust, he has no reason to regret not going to college, about 50 million of them.

If the teams want to pick'm and ride'm, then they should, after all they are footing the bill as well.

To even consider that a guy like Lebron would "gain" anything in college that he hasn't gained in the NBA is to say the least "ignorant"
The kid is financially set for life even if he has a career ending injury tomorrow.

If he had any "hard" injury in college his loss would have been 100's of millions, you are in America, can you say "lawsuits" ?

Unclebuck
03-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I am opposed to an age limit.

I have zero interest in College basketball so I could care less if they get better or worse. In fact I am really opposed to major college programs anyway because of the old student athlete concept, which rarely used to apply to star players.

A real functioning minor league is the way to go. People like Bender could still be drafted but you could put them in Ft. Wayne (or someplace) & see if they could ever really play in the NBA.

I'd much rather a kid who had zero interest in going to school go to the NBDL & let that money go to a kid who wanted to go to school.

I agree

ABADays
03-06-2005, 07:19 PM
A pro is a pro if he's in the development league, Europe or the NBA. I would much rather see a kid go to college but I don't agree with denying him a chance right out of high school. In fact, would seem it's unlawful. There are a lot of kids not cut out for college and going to have a 1.2 GPA after 3 years is a sham.

SycamoreKen
03-06-2005, 10:32 PM
As I said I am completely for the age limit. Kids should not be going out into the NBA at such a young age, because they miss out on the important things in life, including getting an education. I don't care how good you are, you always need an education to function well in life. It certainly never hurts, and you do need something to do after you are finished with your NBA career. You cannot just loaf around at home. Not to mention that if you are good enough to enter the NBA, you are more than likely able to get a basketball scholarship so you wouldn't have to pay for your own education. People should take advantage of something like that.

Not only that, but there is the chance to improve your basketball skills when you go to college. It isn't a complete waste of time, and I know that people who come out of college are much more polished than those who aren't. Of course, there are exceptions, case in point Lebron. But there are so many more better people who play the game fundamentally sound, like Duncan. He does all the little things, and he rarely ever makes a mistake. You look at someone like Bender, who could have been much better had he gone through college. He has absolutely no basketball sense, and I have no doubt he could have learned it had he gone.

In my opinion you have everything to gain if you go to college, and 20 is certainly reasonable. This will make the college game a whole lot more fun to watch, and the quality of the future drafts will be much better.

Why does someone HAVE to go to college to be successful? What if a person doesn't want to go to college? What if a person just isn't smart enough to go to college? My brother finished higher in his class than I did, but had no desire to go to college. He went into the military for 4 years and is now working as an engineer for the railroad. He probably makes more money than I do.

Unless the NBA has a minor league in place to take the guys that are not ready or want to go to college, then they are probably hurting themselves.

grace
03-07-2005, 10:11 AM
He went into the military for 4 years and is now working as an engineer for the railroad. He probably makes more money than I do.

Unless the NBA has a minor league in place to take the guys that are not ready or want to go to college, then they are probably hurting themselves.

For people who apply themselves 4 years in the military can be like going to college. Especially if they teach you how to fly helicopters and planes then when you get out you can work for an airline.

I think the NBA does have a minor league in place. I think its called the NBDL or something like that. Its not much now but if the age limit does go into effect it will probably get better.

DisplacedKnick
03-07-2005, 10:40 AM
What Peck said - a REAL minor league, structured somewhat like baseball, is the answer.

Of course you'd need to look awful hard at guaranteed contracts - incorporate signing bonuses into things ith a minor league pay scale so you don't have a player making 7 million per on a minor league team - then the Knicks payroll would top 200 million (unless the sales rumors are true).