PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A. Smith and his sources

Lord Helmet
03-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Did anyone see on the ESPN PreGame show, when they asked Smith about a possible Ron re-instatement? He said, Ron Artest's guys are trying not to make a big deal out of anything right now, to insure we don't unleash the wrath of Stern.

And, the reason I am typing this is because if I am not mistaken, Smith said something like Ron Artest is going to back to New York early next week, to try to convince Mr.Stern that he is changed and to try to get Stern to allow Ron back for the playoffs. I am not excatly sure about this, because they could have easily just been talking about last Monday's "Meeting". So, did anyone see this?

Also, Greg Anthony (Who I have always liked, BTW) Was saying that Ron needs to be allowed to play in the playoffs this year. He said something like Ron has learned his lesson. And he said that suspending Ron for the rest of the season, and not at least letting him back is basically punishing the franchise.

Anyone see this? :confused:

Dr Huxtable
03-04-2005, 08:30 PM
I saw the part with Greg Anthony, but I turned it off shortly after they stopped talking about the Pacers.

I can't stand Stephen A. Smith.

Kegboy
03-04-2005, 08:34 PM
IMO, Greg is the only person at ESPN anymore that knows **** about pro basketball. If Dee Brown wins Dream Job, he'd make it two people.

Lord Helmet
03-04-2005, 08:34 PM
I saw the part with Greg Anthony, but I turned it off shortly after they stopped talking about the Pacers.

I can't stand Stephen A. Smith.
I like his sources, because of the good news they could bring......

Dr Huxtable
03-04-2005, 08:41 PM
But if JO's injury turns out to be season ending and Jamaal Tinsley never stays completley healthy, which I think that one of the two will happen, it won't really matter. I want Ronnie back as much as the next guy, but this is a lost season.

Jermaniac
03-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah that would be great for Stern to let Ron come back for the play offs and we dont make the play offs. With JO and Jamaal not being 100% I dont see us even getting there, I really hope we do but being realistic I dont see it.

But maybe Stern just lets Ron come back for like the last 15 games of the year and maybe we make a push like that.

Lord Helmet
03-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I know, this is a lost season..........

Dr Huxtable
03-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Also, if we don't make the playoffs this year, don't you think that it will make Reggie rethink his retirement?

Imagine next year what our lineup would be like, with Reggie coming off the bench.

PG: Tinsley/AJ/FJ in some siutations
SG: Jack/Reggie/FJ
SF: Ronnie/JJ
PF: JO/Austin
C: Foster/DD/Hulk/Pollard if he stays

Tell me you're not looking forward to that lineup. :drool:

Lord Helmet
03-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Also, if we don't make the playoffs this year, don't you think that it will make Reggie rethink his retirement?

Imagine next year what our lineup would be like, with Reggie coming off the bench.

PG: Tinsley/AJ/FJ in some siutations
SG: Jack/Reggie/FJ
SF: Ronnie/JJ
PF: JO/Austin
C: Foster/DD/Hulk/Pollard if he stays

Tell me you're not looking forward to that lineup. :drool:
Actually, no, I don't think he will. Thats just my feeling. But, besides that I don't want to wait 'til friggin' next year! :(

Dr Huxtable
03-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Look man, you and I are both very young compared to most users on this board.

"Wait til next year" seems like nothing compared to what people like ABADays and geezer have been through. Waiting is part of being a sports fan, we just have to learn to accept it.

But I can assure you that when that moment finally does come oh how sweet it will be. :D

Unclebuck
03-04-2005, 09:23 PM
But if JO's injury turns out to be season ending and Jamaal Tinsley never stays completley healthy, which I think that one of the two will happen, it won't really matter. I want Ronnie back as much as the next guy, but this is a lost season.

Yes but Tinsley will get healthy eventually, J.O will only miss two weeks, Dale is on board now, add Artest and the Pacers are back in business

Lord Helmet
03-04-2005, 09:27 PM

"Wait til next year" seems like nothing compared to what people like ABADays and geezer have been through. Waiting is part of being a sports fan, we just have to learn to accept it.

But I can assure you that when that moment finally does come oh how sweet it will be. :D
Oh yeah, it will be awesome :cool: And UB, you make a good point, maybe this season isn't over, after all.............. Who knows :whoknows:

Lord Helmet
03-05-2005, 02:30 PM
People still watch ESPN?
Shut up! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I can't help it that my crappy cable provider, Insight doesn't provide LP or NBATV... But, I was just tuning in for the game on ESPN and it was on the pre game and I saw that Smith said something like my sources are telling me that Ron Artest will go to NY early this coming week to try to convince Stern to let him back at least for the playoffs.

Bball
03-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Next season on Lost:
Discover what happens when an NBA Championship contender suddenly find themselves lost with little hope. Players disappear! A mysterious evil entity will seem to control their fate while problems befall them left and right. Drama at its fullest!

Wednesdays on ABC nationally. Everyday live this season in Indianapolis.

-Bball

Lord Helmet
03-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Its all good. I used to watch SC back my freshman year of hs, but then I got tired of it. I would probably watch more if I didnt have LP, but as it is I only watch for a minute like I did last night to see the last 30 second of the Lakers game.

Oh, and SAS is a idiot. My dog is smarter then he is...........
Believe me, if I had NBATV and LP I would hardly even watch ESPN :D

Destined4Greatness
03-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I remember flipping through stations during the commercials last night, I was trying to see if the news would show me the score of my HS teams game, we lost by 1 point BTW. Well anyway the guy was talking about something, and on the side of the screen in writing it had Artest to meet with stern in NEw york, or Artest meets with stern in New york. So it could be talking about the meeting earlier this week, but thats old news by now. I think it was Fox but I am not sure.

Lord Helmet
03-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I remember flipping through stations during the commercials last night, I was trying to see if the news would show me the score of my HS teams game, we lost by 1 point BTW. Well anyway the guy was talking about something, and on the side of the screen in writing it had Artest to meet with stern in NEw york, or Artest meets with stern in New york. So it could be talking about the meeting earlier this week, but thats old news by now. I think it was Fox but I am not sure.
Yeah, I was thinking that the meeting that Smith was referring to was probably about the one last Monday, but I could be wrong.

BTW, what HS team was it?

Destined4Greatness
03-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Poor little Monrovia

Lord Helmet
03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Poor little Monrovia
Who'd they play?

Bball
03-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Who'd they play?

Does it matter? Doesn't everyone get a trophy and a championship in IHSAA basketball these days?
;)

-Bball

Suaveness
03-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Yes but Tinsley will get healthy eventually, J.O will only miss two weeks, Dale is on board now, add Artest and the Pacers are back in business

Unclebuck, I want to ask you. Do you believe that Ron will be back? I know people are going back on this, and I wanted your opinion

PacerMan
03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Tinsley will get healthy eventually. JO will only miss a few weeks, and Dale is on board now. Jackson is playing better and Freddie is starting to strut a little bit. The Pacers will be back in business even without Artest.

Unclebuck
03-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Unclebuck, I want to ask you. Do you believe that Ron will be back? I know people are going back on this, and I wanted your opinion

If I had to bet money on it, I would put my money on Ron not coming back this season regular season or playoffs. So I believe he won't be back at all.

However I still think there is a chance he might, but the smart money is on him not being allowed to play at all.

Chances that he'll play at all this season, regular or postseason. 10%-15%

I base this on my own thoughts, I have no inside info on whether he'll be back, no one knows that at all except David Stern and anyone who says they have any inside info on this issue is wrong, because the only guy who matters is Stern, no one else.

I did hear Mark Montieth on the JMV show last Tuesday. He still thinks there is a chance that Ron will be back this season. MM said that several owners are upset at Stern for the length of the suspension.

ABADays
03-05-2005, 06:52 PM

Awww, poor me. There are several things to address here.

Keep in mind, though, several of us on the board were around for the ABA Championships. I know it doesn't hold much water with the younger guys but, trust me, it was important to this city and to the Pacers. Those championships and those players are what even got us remotely close to the merger. Without them, there would have been no Pacers. Having said that, as significant as the ABA Championships were, an NBA Championship would dwarf them as far a a celebration is concerned.

This season. My emotions get in the way of being a realist. I think if this team makes the playoffs . . . and maybe advances . . . it would be one of the most dramatic stories in sports history. No team have ever had to overcome this much adversity - EVER.

Artest. I think it is incredulous that teams in this league would even have to think about the "wrath of their commissioner". Stern has proven one person can hold a franchise hostage - and the owners don't like it. I didn't like the little carrott that kept being dangled in front of the Indiana fans about Artest and I didn't buy into it. And it says a lot about the little Napoleonic prick in New York. Artest is gone until next year.

One Goal. Came to me in my sleep last night. It was coined as a testament to the number of field goals the franchise expected Bender to hit this year. Very prophetic don't you think?

heywoode
03-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Love your post ABA...

What is your opinion about what the whole 'brawl, suspensions, Stern having too much power' issue will mean to the CBA negotiations this summer?

Not sure how the players association, the owners group, and the league all fit into the process. It would seem to me that if the owners and the players are both miffed at Stern, and both feel that he wields too much power with only shallow emotions (hatred for RA and small market teams) seeming to determine what the punishments doled out amount to; wouldn't softening that stance by reinstating RA make sense to try to retain some bargaining power this summer?

Let's face it, if RA is still basically suspended this summer (until asking for reinstatement next year) doesn't that make the CBA negotiations very tenuous?

I personally don't think that softening a little weakens Stern's position. I think that the way he handled the situation weakened his future power. He showed that the status quo needs to change this summer if we (everyone besides the league in this equation) don't want the NBA world to be a dictatorship. Down to brass tacks, that's what it is......If he wields total control, and is unbudging on revisiting his decisions from time to time, the definition fits.....

Maybe this should be a new thread?!!!

ABADays
03-05-2005, 08:23 PM
I would have said exactly what you did - only not as well ;)

heywoode
03-05-2005, 08:54 PM
thanks! :blush: