PDA

View Full Version : Trying out the 'Reputation' feature

Hicks
03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
This is a function vBulletin has that I had left off up until now, but I thought I might give it a go and see how it goes. I think able and perhaps SauceMaster are more familiar with it than I am, but as I understand it, basically you can click on the little 'balance scale' symbol underneath a user's name and avatar, etc, to add to their rep. I think as it gets higher, they get more green blocks or whatever they're supposed to be.

I think (and again able and Sauce can and I hope will say it better) the point is that eventually this will help newcomers see who are and who aren't the usual good people around here. Maybe I'm saying it all wrong. I dunno.

This is probably my weakest post in a while. :suicide:

Pig Nash
03-04-2005, 05:59 PM
wait, so how does it work? can i change my reputation of other people or what? i'm confused

sweabs
03-04-2005, 05:59 PM
No, you said it fine. I understand what it is...I was wondering what those little green bars were.

I've seen it used on some other boards before, and some people don't know how to use it. Mostly little kiddies who get upset when someone disagrees or has an alternative opinion so they give a weak rating to them.

Might as well give it a try.

Hicks
03-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Well one of the parameters of this one is everyone starts with a rating of "10", and when you click on the white scale you can approve or disapprove of that post, and I believe that takes or adds a point. If anyone acts like a troll, idiot, or kiddie or whatever, if their rep slips below the default 10, be it 9 or down to 0, they can no longer alter other people's reps.

Hicks
03-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I admit I'm not sold on this idea. I think able or someone else put a bug in my ear about it, and I said no then, but I think it's worth trying. I dunno for sure. I'll see how everyone feels; if most do not like it, I'll discontinue it.

Pig Nash
03-04-2005, 06:08 PM
i found it, thanks

PaceBalls
03-04-2005, 06:18 PM
there's always that one guy that gives everyone a 0 rating...

SjA3837
03-04-2005, 06:39 PM
That's true... Is there anyway to see who gives you the rating, or whatever?

Cactus Jax
03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Well this is a weird idea. Not sure how it will work though.

Doug in CO
03-04-2005, 06:40 PM
The thing I like about this place is that it is a smaller community and we all know who to read and who to ignore - I think it is a waste of time but I am not really against it

TheSauceMaster
03-04-2005, 07:23 PM
User Reputation
The User Reputation system allows your board members to leave comments about one anothers' posts, and thereby contribute to their overall 'reputation'.

Using the User Reputation manager, you can create titles for a variety of reputation levels, so that users are given a reputation title when they reach a certain reputation level.

SjA3837
03-04-2005, 07:25 PM
But what if you don't post much, and no one gives you any feedback :(

TheSauceMaster
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM

There is not a way to give a number , it's ethier approve or disapprove

sweabs
03-04-2005, 07:45 PM
If you place your mouse over top of the green bar, it says you are on a 'distinguished road'.......are these the levels they speak of?

Kegboy
03-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Oh, great, now I'm gonna have to watch what I say, and not offend anyone.

Oh, **** it. What we really need is a way to ignore all the new people on here that are driving me crazy, but still allow the Heywoode's who's thoughts are actually worth the 0's and 1's their written in. :twocents:

_PD_
03-04-2005, 09:19 PM
this sounds like a waste of time and worse -- trouble.
how can this improve the board again?

obnoxiousmodesty
03-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I could take this or leave it. No biggie.

Personally, I'm about to cue up some Joan Jett.

Ragnar
03-04-2005, 10:08 PM
We might as well try it. This way new people can tell right away that I am full of ****.

rabid
03-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Ragnar is on a distinguished road.

The eagle has left the nest. Repeat, the eagle has left the nest.

SHOOT THE MOON! SHOOT THE MOON! :D