PDA

View Full Version : Davis Signs, O誰eal Placed on I.L.

able
03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Davis replaces O'Neal in Pacers' lineup
http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/226785-4039-179.html

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com
March 4, 2005

PORTLAND -- The Indiana Pacers are wasting little time putting Dale Davis to work.

Coach Rick Carlisle said after the team's morning shootaround that Davis, who was signed earlier today, will start in place of the injured Jermaine O'Neal in tonight's game against the Portland Trail Blazers.

"Why mess around? Let's get him right into it," Carlisle said. "He's a good player and we know that. The best way for him to get into our situation is to play."

The Pacers still aren't sure how long they're going to be without O'Neal. O'Neal sprained his right shoulder in the second quarter of Thursday's loss at Denver. Carlisle said they're hopeful they'll know the results of O'Neal's MRI sometime before the game against Portland.

The Pacers are going to wait and see how bad O'Neal's injury is before deciding who to put on the injured list.

Davis spent his first nine seasons in the league with the Pacers. Most recently, he was traded from Golden State to New Orleans. He had his contract bought out by the Hornets earlier this week.

"It's unfortunate that you have some guys that are banged up right now," Davis said. "This is an opportunity for me to come in and get some playing time right away."

To make room on the roster for Davis, the Pacers waived Michael Curry.

Deadshot
03-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Wow, this will certainly be interesting. I'm also surprised that they waived Curry instead of Edwards - what do they see in him, lol?

Gyron
03-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Davis Starting clears the way for him to play all 48 minutes like peck thought he would!

Woohoo! DD will be a savior. I hope you guys are ready to ride the wave of winning thats getting ready to occur!

/slap gyron....

Snap back to reality man. Dale can only play 44 minutes a night.

grace
03-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Edwards - what do they see in him?

His clothes from the Salvation Army?

Diamond Dave
03-04-2005, 05:08 PM
I can't believe they cut Curry, I mean neither deserve a roster spot, but Curry is pretty big in the Players Union isn't he?

Wow.

Edwards:unimpress

able
03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Pacers News Release | March 4, 2005

www.pacers.com

The Indiana Pacers announced Friday they had placed forward Jermaine O誰eal on the injured list and signed veteran free agent forward Dale Davis. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

O誰eal was placed on the injured list with a subluxated sprain of the right shoulder, which was sustained in the second quarter of Thursday night痴 game at Denver. O誰eal will miss a minimum of five games. To make room for the signing of Davis, the Pacers also Friday waived forward Michael Curry.

Davis

The signing of Davis reunites him with the Pacers. The No. 1 draft pick of the team in 1991 (13th overall), the 6-11, 230-pound Davis played nine seasons for the Pacers, averaging 9.4 points and 9.0 rebounds per game. During that time, Davis was named to the NBA All-Star team in 2000. He was traded by the Pacers, Aug. 31, 2000, to Portland for Jermaine O誰eal and Joe Kleine.

Davis played four seasons for the Trail Blazers and was traded July 20, 2004, to Golden State. He played 36 games with the Warriors before being traded to New Orleans Feb. 24, 2005. He did not play with the Hornets and was waived Tuesday.

泥ale is a veteran big man who had his best years with us, said Pacers CEO/President Donnie Walsh. 滴e gives us depth up front, which is important since we致e been bothered by injuries there all season, he gives us rebounding, which we need, and he痴 one of the best defensive post players we致e ever had.

Deadshot
03-04-2005, 05:15 PM
OUCH! At least 5 games? That's worse than I thought it would be :(

Cactus Jax
03-04-2005, 05:15 PM
According to ESPNEWS, he's on the IL.

Well this officially sucks.

If the Pacers can get 1 game on this road trip it would be good.

Deadshot
03-04-2005, 05:16 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10014

Hicks
03-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Though they've cut Curry, I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes some sort of staff member for the rest of the year.

Hicks
03-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Merged all repeat thread. :)

ChicagoJ
03-04-2005, 05:22 PM
1 entry found for subluxated.

Main Entry: subキluxキatキed
Pronunciation: -'l&k-"sAt-&d
Function: adjective

partially dislocated
("")

Evan_The_Dude
03-04-2005, 05:24 PM
To make room on the roster for Davis, the Pacers waived Michael Curry.

W00T It's over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Diamond Dave
03-04-2005, 05:26 PM
You know this season has sucked. I cannot really think of a better adverb to describe it. Now with the O'neal injury the season is in the tank. We will either not make the playoffs in a pathetic East, or we will have our asses handed to us by the *****ing Pistons.

Still the thought of once again hearing "starting at one foward, from Clemson, number 32.....DAAAALLLLLEEEEE DAAAAAVVVVIIIIISSSSS"

Brings a smile to my face.:)

No matter if his presence is futile or not.

ChicagoJ
03-04-2005, 05:27 PM
1 entry found for subluxated.

Main Entry: subキluxキatキed
Pronunciation: -'l&k-"sAt-&d
Function: adjective

partially dislocated
(http://</p><p%20style=)

And this blurb on Pacers.com:

Jermaine O'Neal was placed on the injured list Friday and will miss a minimum of five games with a separated right shoulder. The Pacers also announced the signing of veteran forward Dale Davis. To make room on the roster, Michael Curry was waived.

emphasis added

Again, is it dislocated or separated? Those are vastly different injuries. And if the rotator cuff is sprained (and it looked to me like he sprained it), I think he'll be out for (at least) three weeks.

Hicks
03-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Jay, you say if it's sprained that's 3 weeks. What if it's dislocated?

ChicagoJ
03-04-2005, 05:42 PM
If so, that should be less than three weeks, I think - Dale's injuries were dislocations - but his shoulder would pop out of the socket without spraining, bruising, or tearing the rotator cuff. As I said somewhere else earlier today, it was certainly painful and he's tough as nails, but its not the same injury we're talking about with JO here, so comparisons are probably not appropriate.

If you dislocate it without harming the rotator cuff, as has been suggested and Dale has proven, you can pop it back into place and be playing again within a few days to a week.

The $1,000,000 question, IMO, is whether or not the rotator cuff is okay, not whether it was separated or dislocated. However, from what I understand (I've only had one shoulder injury, I know much more about the knees from personal experience), separations generally result in some contusion to or tearing of the rotator cuff.

sweabs
03-04-2005, 05:44 PM
If it's dislocated, it should not be longer than 10 days in my opinion.

Eindar
03-04-2005, 05:48 PM
So, what are our needs in this years draft? Maybe we can move up a few positions via the lottery :)

ChicagoJ
03-04-2005, 05:52 PM
We need a reliable SF. :devil:

Eindar
03-04-2005, 06:01 PM
I was perusing nbadraft.net, and assuming we fall into the lottery via 3 weeks of no JO (entirely likely), we'd be in range of guys like Hakim Warrick and Jarrett Jack (to back up Tinsley). Seems like this draft is gonna be pretty deep.

ImReppinBtown
03-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah thats really bad news.Atleast Dale will play tonight. I know hes not as productive as Jermaine, but I'm sure he will play better than anyone else on our team that would start if he wasnt.

beast23
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
If it's separated, I'd bet he's gone for the season.

If it's dislocated, he's got a shot at coming back. That depends on how long it takes to get the discomfort under control, and how long it takes to get cleared by the doc to play without substantial risk of further injury.

Even if he comes back, it's not like he's going to have a mid-range game. The only thing JO will be good for (for a while anyway) might be stuff around the basket with his right-hand and using his left-hand.

I really felt comfortable about making the playoffs. Unless Dale steps right in and is able to perform at a decently high level, or Ron suddenly is allowed to play, I'd say our chances of making the playoffs are now worse than 50-50.

Hicks
03-04-2005, 06:25 PM
We need a reliable SF. :devil:

If we were to pick a SF, this guy seems decent.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/joeygraham.asp

diamonddave00
03-04-2005, 06:49 PM
As I posted when the Dale Davis signing was rumored , Dale is bigger than when he left. Notice Pacers had him at 6-11 230 , while Warriors listed him bigger.

WARRIORS.COM
Home
News
Roster
Statistics
Schedule/Scores
Tickets

Dale Davis | 32
Season statistics & Notes Season splits Game-by-game stats Bio Printable player file

2004-05
Statistics
PPG 3.1
RPG 4.30
APG .6
EFF + 6.47

Position: C-F
Born: 03/25/69
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 252 lbs. / 114,3 kg.
College: Clemson '91
Career Highlights
Owns career averages of 8.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.0 assists and 1.21 blocks in 28.8 minutes
Entering the 2004-05 season, has appeared in 959 regular-season games with Indiana and Portland
Has also appeared in 108 playoff contests, averaging 7.6 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.09 blocks in 30.2 minutes
Is Indiana痴 NBA-era leader with 5,784 rebounds and the Pacers franchise career leader in field goal accuracy (54.3 percent).
Named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team in 2000.
Appeared in all 2000 NBA Finals games against the L.A. Lakers
Led the 1999 Pacers in field-goal percentage (.533), rebounds (8.3 rpg, 17th in the NBA) and blocked shots (1.14 bpg)
Grabbed his 5,000th career rebound, registering a game-high 12 rebounds, in an 87-69 victory over the Chicago Bulls on 4/24/99
Scored his 5,000th career point, recording 10 points (3-5 FG, 4-4 FT) and 4 rebounds, in an 82-80 win over the Milwaukee Bucks on 2/20/99
Led the Pacers in 1997-98 in field-goal percentage (.548), for the 4th straight season, and in rebounds (7.8 rpg), for the 5th straight season
Also led the Pacers in field-goal percentage in 1992-93 and in blocked shots from 1992-93 to 1995-96
Matched a Pacers' franchise record by making all nine of his field-goal attempts, without a miss, against the Cleveland Cavaliers on 1/7/97
Tied a Pacers' franchise record with 12 offensive rebounds against the San Antonio Spurs on 12/30/93
Established a Pacers' single-season franchise record in 1992-93 with a .568 field-goal percentage.

I'm worried exactly who will score for the Pacers now. Guess we will see Stephen Jackson and Reggie Miller firing away the first 7 minutes or so.

Seems as if perhaps David Harrison should start to at least add a little more offense option the first few minutes of the game or Austin Croshere.

sweabs
03-04-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm worried exactly who will score for the Pacers now. Guess we will see Stephen Jackson and Reggie Miller firing away the first 7 minutes or so.

Seems as if perhaps David Harrison should start to at least add a little more offense option the first few minutes of the game or Austin Croshere.

Assuming that Tinsley is healthy and playing tonight ( :laugh: - yeah, right), Tinsley, Freddie, Jackson, Dale, and David is not all that bad of an offensive unit.

Our front court is going to suffer the most. Hopefully David uses this as an opportunity to display some more of his offensive talents.

ReggieMiller8325
03-04-2005, 06:58 PM
This Will be great chance for Reggie Miller and Dale Davis to do there one two punch again I see Davis getting a double double and Reggie Miller scoring over 20 points this game.

Eindar
03-04-2005, 07:19 PM
This Will be great chance for Reggie Miller and Dale Davis to do there one two punch again I see Davis getting a double double and Reggie Miller scoring over 20 points this game.

Do you also see Rik Smits in the post and Jalen Rose breaking plays? If so, you're probably watching a re-run, because that scene won't play out tonight, unless you've got a copy of the 1998 ECF to watch after the game.

grace
03-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I can't believe they cut Curry, I mean neither deserve a roster spot, but Curry is pretty big in the Players Union isn't he?

Only if you consider the President of the Union big.

diamonddave00
03-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Personally I'm glad it was Curry not Edwards cut.

We know if activated Edwards won't start , not sure about Curry. Edwards is only here to develop , he might have a future Curry doesn't.

Ron Artest being allowed back would mean Edwards is waived , we know chances are slim of that happening.

Hicks
03-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I think if it were me I'd start Cro at 4 and Dale at 5.

ReggieMiller8325
03-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah that will work we have rebounding and shooting at are 4 and 5 spots.

Kegboy
03-04-2005, 08:31 PM
As I posted when the Dale Davis signing was rumored , Dale is bigger than when he left. Notice Pacers had him at 6-11 230

I have a hard time believing Dale ever weighed less than Johnny Bender.

abington
03-04-2005, 09:42 PM
I agree with Hicks that I think Curry will be on the bench tonight in some Mark Acguire type coach/advisor role

Jermaniac
03-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I wouldnt mind Curry to stay on as a coach

abington
03-04-2005, 09:46 PM
I wouldnt mind Curry to stay on as a coach

I agree. I love when he 'coaches' JJ, you can tell that his development is Curry's pet project.

ChicagoJ
03-04-2005, 11:23 PM
When Dale played in Indiana, he had bean-pole legs. Huge biceps, massive chest, but weak legs.

He gained some lower body strength in Portland when he became a Full-time center.

Kegboy
03-05-2005, 01:28 PM
When Dale played in Indiana, he had bean-pole legs. Huge biceps, massive chest, but weak legs.

He gained some lower body strength in Portland when he became a Full-time center.

Maybe you're right, but from what I've seen, he's too old to get any lift off those legs.

Bball
03-05-2005, 01:50 PM
And this blurb on Pacers.com:

Again, is it dislocated or separated? Those are vastly different injuries. And if the rotator cuff is sprained (and it looked to me like he sprained it), I think he'll be out for (at least) three weeks.

I just hope we don't find out it is bruised. That's apparently all but a season-ending injury going by other reports of 'bruises' befalling Pacer players.

Also, I've not posted this because I knew it would anger Uncle Buck but I still think JO is a drama queen when it comes to injuries. He always makes them look worse than they are. I've said one of these days it really will be something serious and everyone will be 'ho-hum' about it expecting him back a few games or less. He'll go to the drama well once too often and will no longer be taken serious. It's already there for me.

I already know UB will tell me that I don't know how much pain JO is in or that he could be a quick healer. I'll concede that... but IMHO.... he's a drama queen when it comes to injuries. It won't surprise me if he is back after the minimum 5 game period. I'll admit this COULD be the serious injury that sits him for weeks upon weeks but past history tells me that it could very well be overblown.

That's not to say he isn't tough and won't play thru injuries and pains. It is just saying that some other players might not make as big of a deal about comparable things. They might miss just as much action but you'd have less questions about the severity.

-Bball "Heading for the bunker"

Hicks
03-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Maybe you're right, but from what I've seen, he's too old to get any lift off those legs.

It's not really about lift, rather having the lower strength to hold your ground against big people posting you up.

Hicks
03-05-2005, 05:33 PM
And I totally fail to see where JO pulled a DQ out of this injury. His shoulder was popped out of place. He didn't lie there for 20 minutes. He was down for a moment, got up, hit two free throws left handed just in case he could come back, and that's it. It's not right to pull the DQ card this time IMO.