PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta & the Expansion Draft

Jose Slaughter
02-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi ya

In an effort to post on here more, I would like to begin a series on the Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft in late June. Since the trading deadline has passed the rosters are pretty much set for the remainder of the season. I thought I'd go team by team, look at who can be protected, who can't & see what the Bobcats might do.

First the basic info. Here is a link to a story on the Bobcats NBA.com site & a paragraph from that story.

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/expansion_draft.html

Charlotte will receive lists from each of the 27 teams not competing in the NBA Finals 10 days prior to the scheduled Expansion Draft (June 12) and those from the competing teams in the Finals within two days of the conclusion of the Finals. Team lists will designate a maximum of eight protected players for that teamís players under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 NBA season. The unprotected players are eligible for selection by the Bobcats, who will draft a minimum of 14 players from NBA rosters.

I'll be using info from a couple different sites, but it will be the same for the entire run of the series.

RealGM's Free Agent List.
http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2004

HoopsHype's salary list.
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

The above info will be included in each installment.

Today, the Hawks.

Here is their roster.

Wesley Person
Alan Henderson
Jason Terry
Chris Mills
Bob Sura
Zeljko Rebraca
Chris Crawford
Joel Przybilla
Dion Glover
Stephen Jackson
Boris Diaw-Riffiod
Jacque Vaughn
Obinna Ekezie
Travis Hansen
Lee Nailon
Mamadou N'diaye

Under contract for next season
Henderson ---- $8,273,125
Terry ----------- not listed
Crawford ----- $3,250,000
Jackson ------- $1,100,000
Diaw-Riffiod -- $1,053,720

Restricted Free Agents
Przybilla ------- $3,215,834

Free Agents
Person
Mills
Sura
Rebraca
Glover
Vaughn
Ekezie
Hansen
Nailon
N'diaye

The Hawks can protect up to 8, but they can only protect players under contract & restricted free agents. Since they have 5 under contract & 1 restricted free agent that won't be a problem.

Teams must leave at least 1 player unprotected in the expansion draft. Again, no problem for the Hawks.

Crawford is a possibility at $3,250,000, & the Bobcats might actually bite at that one. The contract is relatively small & it would be the fianl year of his deal. It would depend on what some of the other teams do. There players out there better than Crawford, making less money, that the Cats would have more interest in.

Henderson's contract for 04-05 is $8,273,125. Way to large for the Bobcats to take. My guess is that is exactly what the Hawks will do, leave Henderson as the lone unprotected player.

Might work out better for the Hawks. They will have a player next season that will be in the final year of his deal making over 8 mil. We've seen how much those players are in demand.

In the end, the Hawks leave just Henderson unprotected & the Cats pass.

MSA2CF
02-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Sorry, I'm getting ahead of the thread, but I just don't want to forget.

The Celtics could have just kept Vin Baker and left him unprotected. Then, if the Bobcats passed, they could just have released him...Whatever---it's in the past now.

kerosene
02-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Henderson is the unprotected one. Everyone else is young and (aside from Terry) cheap. If Henderson is taken, great capspace! If Henderson is not taken, great capspace! The Hawks are in a good position with the expansion draft.

Peck
02-22-2004, 02:58 AM
I wish I could make this a little more complicated but Henderson is the answer.

However by the time the draft is over with the Hawks should ask to be able to select one of the Bobcats. This is how bad the Hawks are at this point in time.

kerosene
02-22-2004, 03:06 AM
The only reason why I could see Atlanta protecting Henderson and making Crawford available is that they have to meet a minimum salary right? If that's going to be a stretch then they keep Henderson and get his salary off the books at the end of the year.

Will Galen
02-22-2004, 06:04 AM
The only reason why I could see Atlanta protecting Henderson and making Crawford available is that they have to meet a minimum salary right? If that's going to be a stretch then they keep Henderson and get his salary off the books at the end of the year.

I don't see that happening. This years cap is $43.8 million. Seventy-five percent of that is $32.8, Atlanta already has $14 million worth of salary's signed for next year. That means with the cap going up they have to sign about $20 million worth of salarys next year. Atlanta has to sign at least 7 players, and they can sign as many as 10. They would have no problem signing 10 players at $2 million each.

Plus Atlanta cleared all that cap room to pick up free agents. I don't think good players will want to go to Atlanta, but still someone will take their mony.

From Larry Coon's collective bargaining agreement.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

#7 MINIMUM TEAM SALARY (all the way at the bottom)
At the other end of the spectrum there is a minimum team salary, which is defined as 75% of the salary cap. Any team that doesn't spend at least that much is surcharged at the end of the season, and that money is given to the players. In practice, most teams' salaries will be higher than the salary cap amount.

-----

I agree that Atlanta will leave Henderson unprotected. But I predict the Bobcats will pass and take no one from Atlanta.